Thread: Should you take supplements when fasting??? page

Sweeney30 is offline Junior Member

Should you take supplements when fasting???

Primal Fuel
    I currently take the following supplements alongside a primal diet:

Iodine
    Magnesium
    Alpha lipoic Acid
    L-Carnitine
    Zinc/copper
    Cod Liver Oil
    Pro-biotic

This I have incorporated after reading marks recent post on supplements and Rob Wolff's book........

However, it's recommended to Take these with food for digestion but when fasting for 20-24 hours it doesn't provide much opportunity??!

Does anyone else supplement and fast?? If so how do you go about it??

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I take vitamin C and a Brazil nut every morning whether I am fasting or not.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

vipinpr is offline Junior Member
    I would suggest to take no supplements if you are fasting for a day or two. Nothing drastic case of Malnutrition takes place in this time period.

Gary Conway is offline Senior Member
    I take my vits every morning regardless of whether I'm fasting or not.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    I was under the impression that vitamins are better absorbed when taken with food. I don't take them on an empty stomach because they make me nauseous when I do.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Taking vitamin on an empty stomach makes me extremely nauseous. I learned that the hard way. As far as I know vitamins are either water or fat soluble. Since you take cod liver oil, you might be okay.

Toshison is offline Member
    I have always been of the belief that its best to be taking vitamins with food as your body will utilize them better and there is a better absorption rate. This is especially the case for fat-soluble vitamins..

So, its my opinion that supplementing with vitamins on an empty stomach is probably the most wasteful way to consume your supplements.

bikeirguy is offline Member
    I asked a similar question here a while back. One thought I had weeks after posting the question was that some vitamins are fat soluble and some are water soluble. The vitamin C example above would work as it is water soluble whereas taking vitamin A (or D, E or K) while fasting might be less optimal (this isn't a statement so much as a thought or a question for the group). While fat soluble vitamins require fats in the intestines to be digested, I am not clear if the fat should be or must be ingested with the vitamins or if the blood stream can provide previously digested fats. Anyone know?
    Kevin

Human beings, by changing the inner attitudes of their minds, can change the outer aspects of their lives.
    William James
    US Pragmatist philosopher & psychologist (1842 1910)