Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comfort EATING page

Bare is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Comfort EATING

Primal Fuel
    My mother, 16 yr old sister, 11 yr old sister ,3 yr old sister , 1 year old brother faced a near death crash 2 days ago. They were on the way back home to Texas. 1 hour into the road, the vehicle my mom was towing lost traction while passing a semi truck. The vehicle being towed slammed the side of the truck. The semi then what I amagine looking as if it performed a pit maneuver on the suv. The semi lifted the suv a few feet, they rolled 3 times. At that time I was shopping for my college supplies , I was notified by a aunt in Texas she wondered what had happend, I had even no idea . When she said flipped over I was in complete shock ! I immediately thought death Seeing my family in the ER put tremendous stress on me, I lost my sanity. Tonight is the 2nd day since the incident. I called in yesterday for work, ate as usual "primal". But tonight I had a cup of ice cream, some chocolate Hersheys , 4 chocolate covered strawberrys, 2 pieces of receese , a donut, half a mid sized strawberry muffin ugh sugar sugar sugar !! To wash it down I had some caldo, which consist of some white potatoe , chicken , 5 tsps of rice and drops of lime. I took the usual Orange Traid multivitamins with 4 glasses of water hopeing it would help dissolve the junk ! The pleasure of temporary now I feel so guilty but glad I had the comfort food with my sister as we watched movies.

I am certain i will not go back to the junk, but what does the community recommend I do now , I feel as if I took a few steps back.

P.S I havent been able to hyper focus as usual, have it in my mind like a relapse. Being grateful to have them by my side caused me to say what the heckk, screw it I can enjoy this now or never.
    Last edited by Bare; 08-10-2012 at 10:47 PM.

Bare is offline Junior Member
    I am 18 yrs old 129 lbs 15% Body Fat. 90/10 primal, most of the time 100% primal.

afsjesse is offline Senior Member
    First off, sorry for the tragic incident. I'm glad everything turned out all right. Second, I wouldn't punish yourself too much. Clearly this has taken an emotional toll on you and you resorted to food for comfort. While it's not primal, I think it was probably a necessary move for you to cope. Considering you had an enjoyable evening with your sister while doing it, I think you should just chuck it in the 'cheat day' bin and move on. You only set yourself back as far as you let yourself. Just get back on board the program and eat as usual.

:-)

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Sorry for what you're going through.

Guilt for eating is an unhealthy concept and I truly hope you'll try to rid yourself of it. You were in pain. You were seeking pleasure/relief. When eating for comfort becomes harmful is when we do it on a regular basis: a fight with a friend, the boss yells at us, a car cut us off in traffic, etc.

After five months of clean eating, I sat at my kitchen table and ate two NY style chocolate eclairs. Nothing had happened. No nutrients, all processed, much sugar. The next day I got back on the wagon. I don't like that I did it, but it's in the past and I'm eating right now. Count your successes, not your lapses. It's better for your mental health all the way around.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    What do you do now? Simple - don't worry, you have enough on your plate as it is, be there for your family, eat the best you can in the circumstances and move on.

Don't let perfect get in the way of good, life sometimes throws whole heaps of shit at us to cope with, there are far worse ways of dealing with stress than some crappy food.

FWIW stress can send me to the gluten-free section in the supermarked, followed by the ice-cream section then the dark chocolate section. As long as I avoid wheat I only mentally feel bad Then a good long walk sorts out my head and burns a few of the extra ice-cream calories off
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    I'm so sorry to hear about your family - you must have gotten such a shock. What a traumatic experience for all of you. How is their prognosis?

In relation to the comfort eating - was this a one-off, or is this something that you consistently struggle with? If it was a one-off, put it out of your mind right now - just look at it as you and your sister regressing to things you prob did as children.

If you consistently struggle with binging, that's another matter. Again, don't beat yourself up about it, but be conscious that a traumatic event often triggers a cycle.

In either case, focus on eating really high quality foods right now - more than usual, as the high sugar stuff will really send your emotions all over the place. Sugar is like crack to me!

Hope everything sorts itself out soon!

YB

Gary Conway is offline Senior Member
    Sorry to hear about their accident - I hope they have a quick recovery. I usually have the following mindset when I have a cheat meal. 1) Enjoy the experience and don't feel guilty - I eat well 95% of the time 2) Eat something and if it isn't a good as I was expecting e.g. crap take out food, then make a strong mental note that it's a cheat not worth repeating.

That way what ever happens I know that in the future I will be enjoying food I like (paleo or not) or I've eliminated a food that before would have tempted me but now I wont bother with.

ciep is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bare View Post
    I am certain i will not go back to the junk, but what does the community recommend I do now, I feel as if I took a few steps back.
    Well, since you're certain it was a one time thing it seems there isn't a problem. Nothing to recommend except that you realize these things happen, no one is perfect, so in the future don't beat yourself up so much over it -- just move along! Besides, it sounds like you and your sister had a good night, which I'm certain far outweighs the "bad" of some poor nutrition.

I'm also sorry about your family, that sounds like a really scary experience. I hope everyone recovers well.

Good luck you all of you.

Enilegna/hearts is offline Senior Member
    The fact that after all that your going through right now, you're stll worrying about your health and primal living is very admirable. So I don't think this "screw up" will do anything. You know this wont become a consistent habit so I don't think there anything to worry about. I hope your family recovers quickly.

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    So sorry to hear about your family! I hope everyone makes a full recovery.

I don't think you "screwed up" at all! Don't let this junk food party weigh too heavily on your mind, your family needs your strength and you at your best right now. Forgive yourself and let it go. That's exactly what your body will do with the junk food anyway!
    Next time you feel like you might wanna splurge a little, try making some roasted kale chips, mashed cauliflower with tons of butter and cheese, and have some choco-banana paleo ice cream while you're waiting for those lovely kale chips to get nice and crispy. Your sister will stand in awe of your divinely primal ways, and you'll spare yourself some guilt.
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast