Thread: Help me expand my cooking palate, please! page

afsjesse is offline Senior Member

Help me expand my cooking palate, please!

Primal Fuel
    So I went to an Afghan butcher here in Kabul yesterday and bought 2 1/2 kilos of beef (bone in). Usually I buy ground beef and make burgers, curry, or a meatloaf out of it, but i'm sick of the same old thing day after day.

I don't have a grill, so I can't grill the meat and I'm not exactly sure how to prepare meat with the bone still on, which I'll probably cut off. Aside from making a stew-like dish like curry, how can I cook a hunk of flesh with only a stove and burner tops without burning the crap out of it like I usually do?

Your recipe and cooking ideas would be very much appreciated!!!!!!! Thanks! :-D

Credodisi is offline Senior Member
    It really depends on the cut of the beef you have. Lean/tough cuts are really only going to shine with a low heat, long cooking time in or on the stove - which usually leads you into stews. Keep in mind.. there are alot of different stew type of recipes - not just curries, that should help you from getting bored.

Cuts that you could cook over high temp on the stove are the steaks , (filets, strip, ribeye, flank) It takes some practice (and stove that can really hit a high temperature) to be able to execute those really well. If you try this.. one technique that works for me is to sear the meat quickly over very high heat for just a couple of minutes a side and then put it into a preheated stove (400 degrees) to finish cooking on the inside.

Msilver is offline Member
    Make a pot roast.

1. Sear all sides of beef in a frying pan (this helps hold the juices in)
    2. Put beef in a pot and add water to cover about 1/3 of the roast
    3. Add whatever veggies you like ( carrots, potatoes, onion, mushrooms, etc...)
    4. Cook on medium-low heat for a long time. ( Use a meat thermometer to tell when it's done )
    5. Let sit for 5 minutes before cutting to let the juices re-settle.

Baba is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I seriously doubt that you can get properly hung beef in Kabul, so steak-like preparations are out. That means you'd better stew/braise or boil: moist, low heat for a long time.

I am all for boiled beef with salsa verde: put beef with some root vegetables and a burnt onion, salt, pepper, bay leaf into a pot of water and heat gently, cook for 3 or 4 hours just below boiling. Serve hot or cold. And next time at your butcher, ask him to saw some bones and put them in with the meat.

For the salsa verde, mix bread soaked in vinegar, garlic, anchovis, parsley/basil and lots of olive oil in a blender, chill overnight for best taste.