Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sticky rice page

sandstone is offline Member

Sticky rice

I was wondering many other PB'ers ate sticky rice. I live in Thailand and one of the ubiquitous snacks around is sticky rice either plain, savoury with satay sticks or sweet with coconut, mango etc. It's usually cooked by the roadside and wrapped in a banana leaf or a bamboo stick and is almost the ultimate easy to buy and go snack I've come across. Plus it's cheap.

Mark did a post on rice a few months ago regarding the amount of rice Asians eat and how they stayed thin. One of the things about sticky rice is that it takes a long time to digest (traditionally workers ate it to keep themselves full through the day) so,I guess this would help avoid any insulin spike. I know if I eat a small portion at lunch, like a handful I'm normally full for most of the rest of the day.

As I understand it, it is glutinous (sticky) but not glutenous ( I.e it is gluten free).

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    I'm on a sticky rice hiatus at the moment, but I DO have two 5lb bags in my cupboard!

I LOVE sticky rice - so much I even wrote a poem to/about it after the first time I made
    it at home.....

Anyway, it does have less carbs than regular white rice (not much less, but less nonetheless, ha!),
    and I never seemed to "feel" any kind of carb "rush" from it either.

The best part is that it's SO DARN CHEWY and delicious, it takes awhile to eat it, so it really
    feels like you're actually EATING something, unlike regular rice which just kind of evaporates
    (for the most part, yanno, you could chew that shit with your tongue for crying out loud) in your
    mouth along with other food.

Sticky rice is a MEAL.

I remember when my cousin got back from Thailand and then took me to a Thai restaurant to introduce
    me to my beloved sticky rice - not only was I, well, in love, but I was farking FULL for the rest off the
    day, and we ate at 12pm!

Anyway, so yes, eat it!

I'd skip eating it with fruit or any other way these days, but that's just me.

Sticky rice and my chicken, ginger/basil/cilantro stir fry is to die for.

Could eat it for breakfast lunch and dinner.

Julie

sandstone is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
    I'm on a sticky rice hiatus at the moment, but I DO have two 5lb bags in my cupboard!

I LOVE sticky rice - so much I even wrote a poem to/about it after the first time I made
    it at home.....

Anyway, it does have less carbs than regular white rice (not much less, but less nonetheless, ha!),
    and I never seemed to "feel" any kind of carb "rush" from it either.

The best part is that it's SO DARN CHEWY and delicious, it takes awhile to eat it, so it really
    feels like you're actually EATING something, unlike regular rice which just kind of evaporates
    (for the most part, yanno, you could chew that shit with your tongue for crying out loud) in your
    mouth along with other food.

Sticky rice is a MEAL.

I remember when my cousin got back from Thailand and then took me to a Thai restaurant to introduce
    me to my beloved sticky rice - not only was I, well, in love, but I was farking FULL for the rest off the
    day, and we ate at 12pm!

Anyway, so yes, eat it!

I'd skip eating it with fruit or any other way these days, but that's just me.

Sticky rice and my chicken, ginger/basil/cilantro stir fry is to die for.

Could eat it for breakfast lunch and dinner.

Julie
    Hey Julie, glad to hear I'm not alone. The carbs don't bother me too much as I'm on the go pretty much full time. The intesting point to me is how it affects insulin spikes as it seems to very slow digesting, I can't believe it spikes too much.

Even with the fruit it's still pretty natural- coconut, plantains and mangos (I grow mangos so I can't see them disappearing from my diet too soon, but they are seasonal so kind of self regulating).

What's your poem?

Darz is offline Senior Member
    How does one cook Thai sticky rice? Is it similiar to japanese rice? And can one use it in meal or its purpose is solely for desserts?
    Last edited by Darz; 08-11-2012 at 10:10 AM.

Oh my poem is long gone.

I wrote it on a walk on my phone, then spammed my entire family with it.

Had they known where I was walking, I'm sure they would have sent the men
    in little white coats to fetch me. HAR!

Oh yes, totally natural with the fruit for SURE. Coconut too! I love the coconut milk/sticky
    rice/mango dish. Could eat it ALL DAY LONG.

My son even liked it in balls mixed with peanut butter and honey. Also good with maple syrup
    on it.

I'm pretty positive that sticky rice is good with ANYTHING on it.

Darz - I'll post a link how to make sticky rice. It's an ordeal for sure! Well, you gotta soak it
    first for a couple of hours, that's the pain. But if you remember and put it in water in the morning,
    you're set. Even if it soaks all day, it's fine.

It's not similar to any other rice I've ever had. May taste the same, but the consistency is NOT.

It's almost like taffy, but it doesn't stick to your teeth or create strings from molar to molar, it's,
    just, well, sticky.

And yes, definitely for meals and not just desserts.

I had to get mine from an Asian market because the regular ol' whitey stores don't even know what
    it is.

But, on the other hand, even the Asian lady that was ringing up my groceries didn't know what it was.

It's called "sweet rice", but there's nothing sweet about it. And it looks more like opaque pearled barley
    than it does rice.

Anyway, I brought it up to the cash register and asked her what happened to the 10lb bags and she didn't
    know. I asked her if she had ever tried the rice before and she told me that she had diabetes and couldn't
    eat "sweet rice". That clued me in that she'd never had it before or didn't even know what it was because, well
    it ain't sweet.

It's bland as the day is long and there is no sugar in it... just starch carbs.

Anyway, here is the video!

How to Make Sticky Rice Recipe - Thai Recipes - YouTube

Darz is offline Senior Member
    I've seen it at a chinese supermarket but always thought it was for desserts only; I shall buy it this week - Thank you very much.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I am so farking in love with sticky rice. Oh how do I begin? If I lived in Thailand, that would be the first item on my 20% list. Rice really ain't that bad for you, it's just nutritionally poor.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    lol Insearch of Abs, Your Ode to the sticky and Love for it shines through. lol. I love Sticky rice so much too.

And that was the name of the poem even... Ode to Sticky Rice.... HAR!

Yeah, I love it, and it's basically benign, just a poor defenseless little starch.

But if I ate as much of it as I wanted to, I'd be over 500lbs.

Julie

Enilegna/hearts is offline Senior Member
    Here at home, Sticky rice, isn't considered well cooked. Mostly well cooked rice is grainy, and 'free'? lol But I love sticky rice, just a little, poured into a soup or curry. I also love the crunchy part on the bottom of the pan, yum. Tastes like popcorn,

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast