Thread: There is no such thing as cardio page

Vick is offline Senior Member

There is no such thing as cardio

Primal Fuel
    This post by C. Bass expands on yesterday's lead.

No Such Thing As Cardio!

People who have a dislike for machines miss the point about training safely to failure.

Why don't you give us a summary of the article instead of just linking to it??

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    I'll give you a summary of the report. They did circuit training with light loads (from 25%-65% of 1RM I believe) and short rest intervals. The conclusion was that untrained individuals could improve their cardiovascular system from doing this, whereas trained endurance athletes would have to do more specific movements and for longer durations to improve their performance, ie. spend countless hours every week running or biking.

Quote Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
    I'll give you a summary of the report. They did circuit training with light loads (from 25%-65% of 1RM I believe) and short rest intervals. The conclusion was that untrained individuals could improve their cardiovascular system from doing this, whereas trained endurance athletes would have to do more specific movements and for longer durations to improve their performance, ie. spend countless hours every week running or biking.
    Ok, I'm not clear on how this means that there is no cardio?

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Well "cardio" is just a weird turn of phrase. It's more of a marketing term than any particular metabolic or systems pathway. For instance increasing your muscle mass will improve your cardiovascular health, but we don't call lifting weights cardio. We call zumba, treadmill, and other such things "cardio"....but in the end they don't actually contribute to improving your cardiovascular health as much as the training program Vick mentions does (at least not at the expense of other systems). Just semantics I suppose, but it does go to the point of why are you exercising? If its for overall health then there is little to no need to include "cardio" in the marketing sense in your routine. If its because your training to be an ultramarathoner....well now that is a different story.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-11-2012 at 09:58 AM.

Vick is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    "Steele et al observed that brief, high-intensity interval training has been shown to increase endurance as much or more than traditional endurance training. Aerobic metabolism and anaerobic metabolism appear to be linked; training beyond the anaerobic threshold does not terminate CV adaptation. Importantly, duration appears to be less important than intensity. Taking it a step further, the Steele team suggested that the shorter duration and higher intensity of RT may give it an advantage over intervals in building CV fitness. “In fact, it is reasonable to conclude that modality [type of training] appears to be of little relevance in producing an improvement in CV fitness since the evidence indicates that improvement is possible by RT as long as intensity is high,” they wrote. "

The key for intensity is ending the final rep at failure.