Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Satiety with low calories page

camel is offline Senior Member

Satiety with low calories

Primal Fuel
    What contributes to satiety?
    I'm looking to feel satisfied and not harm my metabolism [further] on less calories, since my calorie level seems to be lower than it should be for losing weight.

What I've come up with so far -

- need to get enough protein - I'm thinking 90 grams/day (I'm 5'7" woman 167 pounds)
    - be fat adapted = eat less than 100 carbs/day?
    - eat nutriend dense foods and avoid deficiencies
    (eat pastured eggs, a brazil nut, seaweed, liver, high vitamin butter .... anything else helpful?)

Anyone else thinking along these lines... any thoughts...

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    That's almost exactly how I eat, and yes, as long as I don't slip and eat too many nuts or dairy, I am very satisfied! You're missing the fat, to a degree. Or you just didn't list it. Coconut milk is great (aroy-D in the little box is perfect, and BPA-free!), and cooking everything in tallow and drinking it when you're done is an easy way to get all those calories in, if that's your goal. I know it's mine!

Male, 5'9", 170 pounds, sometimes fluctuates to 177-180 and then back down to 170 again. Water weight, salt, ice cream, whatever.

Typically I get 60-70 percent of daily calories from fat, sometimes 80% if I go light and eat less protein because I'm feeling lazy and don't want to cook, or aren't hungry, etc..

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Eric5105 is offline Member
    I'm a male 5'9" weightlifter and I eat satiating foods on off days to keep my body fat low. I usually eat plain/bland foods (look up the concept of "food reward"). I eat hard boiled eggs, turkey, lean ground meats, potatoes, and salads with meat/no oil. Combine that with fasting and you'll have no problem. Foods to avoid: desert like foods, nuts, dried fruits, dairy, added fat/seasonings to make meat "more appetizing"

This is good if you're are trying to cut calories/body-fat, but I couldn't imagine doing long term. Treat yourself to some fattier meats, avocados, olive oil, butter, etc. if you know that you can limit your consumption. Also, try starting your meal with lean protein and waiting like 10 minutes before heading on to fattier/higher carb foods. You'll be less likely to overeat.
    Last edited by Eric5105; 08-10-2012 at 02:17 PM.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Trololol

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

camel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Trololol
    Where?

Eric5105 is offline Member
    Seriously, I'm not claiming that fat or carbs or bad for you. I eat a ton of carbs when I lift and I eat lots of steaks. She asked how she could lower her total calorie intake while still staying satiated. Grassfed butter and bacon are fine and healthy, but they aren't the best choices for lowering you're calorie intake.

He thinks I'm trolling because I brought up food reward. You know, the simple concept that covering a food in fat or sugary sauces makes it a lot easier to overeat. Seriously, what sounds easier to eat? a can of coconut milk with some sweetener or a pile of plain meat. I could finish the coconut milk in less than two minutes. I would be full by the time I ate an equal number of calories of the meat.
    Last edited by Eric5105; 08-10-2012 at 02:53 PM.

john_e_turner_ii is online now Senior Member
    I will add in a lot of veggies to my meals such as broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, etc. Also, a big salad before your meal made with spinach, cabbage, cucumbers and other veggies can help extend that fuller feeling.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric5105 View Post
    Seriously, I'm not claiming that fat or carbs or bad for you. I eat a ton of carbs when I lift and I eat lots of steaks. She asked how she could lower her total calorie intake while still staying satiated. Grassfed butter and bacon are fine and healthy, but they aren't the best choices for lowering you're calorie intake.

He thinks I'm trolling because I brought up food reward. You know, the simple concept that covering a food in fat or sugary sauces makes it a lot easier to overeat. Seriously, what sounds easier to eat? a can of coconut milk with some sweetener or a pile of plain meat. I could finish the coconut milk in less than two minutes. I would be full by the time I ate an equal number of calories of the meat.
    you aint trollin', you tellin it like it is!

Rasputina is offline Senior Member
    I really like Shiritaki noodles (the non-tofu kind). They are zero carb, 5 cals per serving and totally help round-out a veggie stir fry.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Eric I think maybe your concept of low reward was kind of low in fat. I eat low reward, too, but I eat high fat. How many oxtails can a person eat before you're like ew okay, enough with the oxtails already? For me I can eat one big one and one small one and I can get up from the table. Oxtails are full of lots of fat and gelatin and the meat falls off the bone so there's every reason to find them to be high reward if fat and texture is your criteria, but it just ain't there.

Anyway, dense nutrition works great. High volume (low calorie, low fat) doesn't work as well for me as high fat, low volume. Believe me, I've tried doing high volume as a way to stave off hunger. It doesn't work. I can eat a whole wok full of vegetables.

P.S. my boyfriend just served hot dogs with bacon (Trader Joe's bacon ends and pieces), onions, peppers and vegetables. He really thought I could eat an enormous amount of bacon. It was like oh god that's way more fat than anyone can eat, please no more, please, uncle, uncle!
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast