Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Cheap grocery store eggs vs. Pastured eggs page 5

JWBooth is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Vital Farms seems to have a pretty good reputation in terms of a large production pastured egg that can be found in many stores. That is what i use when I get grocery store bought pastured. Their chicken farms are all around the Austin, Texas area. They have an organic pastured brand as well as a non organic pastured (which is sold under the Alfresco Farms label). Both products taste pretty good and have nice orange yolks.

Jaradel is offline Senior Member
    Beef hearts from my supplier are $1/lb. I picked up two more this weekend. I found a great recipe for paleo heart stew, and I cut up the heart into cubes for the stew. Really delicious!

I've also noticed a difference in locally grown vs. store bought cantaloupes. Locally grown cantaloupes are sweeter and have significantly more flavor than store bought. Now if I could only find a local source for avocados...

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    Wash and/or peel your produce! Most if not all pesticides wash or peel off. Organic or not, I'm more concerned with fecal matter and hepatitis from the farm worker and 17 year old stock boy hands that touched it from field to shelf, than I am with pesticide residue.

Bad advice. I agree that there are issues with E.Coli contamination - usally commercial growers using CAFO waste as fertilizer, which is less problematic with small, local, sustainable farms. But the idea that you can just wash off pesticides is untrue.

Systemic Pesticides: Chemicals You Can

There is also an entire new class of pesticides called neonicotinoids that go from being sprayed on the seeds at planting to winding up in the human bloodstream. They're used primarily on stuff Primal shuns (corn, soy, wheat, sugar beets, canola, cottonseed), so another good reason to stick to PB.

But the idea that pesticides shouldn't be cause for worry is... worrisome. We're living in a toxic stew of endocrine disrupting cleaners and health and beauty products, GMOs with unknown effects, artificial colors and flavors, and how all this interacts in our body is one big crap shoot, and we're the lab rats. No thanks. I'd rather minimize risks in any way I reasonably can, and buying organic (especially the worst offender fruits/veggies) is a pretty easy option to take.

Quote Originally Posted by jojohaligo View Post
    Joel Salatin (Polyface Farms, The Omnivore's Dilemma) gave a talk in our town and he promoted "local" over "organic." Organic salad for example can be grown on a monoculture farm with farming practices that still might not be ideal. Where local is by far easier to check what the growing/raising conditions are.
    Yep. One of my first ever grass-fed beef farmers had a long discussion with me on what can be labeled organic. I think the organic label is less important with meats than with fruits and vegetables - if they're raised on pasture, what distinction would "organic" make unless referring to supplemental feeding?

If you have a good relationship with your farmer, even if they're not certified organic you can ask whether they treat specific crops with pesticides, and if so which ones. Information is your best friend.

awm8604 is offline Member
    Pastured a thousand times over. There is no comparison. Taste, nutrition, quality. There are no benefits to grocery store eggs, and you continue supporting the factory farm industry. Vote with your dollars.

indierock4ever is offline Junior Member

farmers market eggs question

I visited a farm yesterday and the chickens are free range and eat pasture but they also feed their chickens day old bakery goods, expired soy beans which I find alarming.

Does anyone else find this disconcerting? Doesn't this diminish/reduce the nutrition of the eggs I eat? On another note, a farmer who sells pastured pork feeds his pigs soy and alfalfa in addition to pasture. Isn't feeding them soy bag?

Barefoot Gentile is offline Senior Member
    Cheapest eggs all the way! My manager at work bought some chickens a few months ago, they are starting to produce eggs now. This guy in my neighborhood build a chicken coop from skid pallets, bought some hens and chickens and has fresh eggs all the time. You can buy a chicken for $10 a pop, and if you don't mind the work it's easy to have your own chicken pasture with fresh eggs all the time.
    Last edited by Barefoot Gentile; 10-07-2012 at 12:15 PM.

PrimalPumpkin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by uni View Post
    I understand the problem as I struggle with costs too (I eat lots of eggs).

I probably split my eggs 30% cheap supermarket, 70% free range "happy" eggs.

I can't tell the difference in terms of taste- probably because I've never sat down and eaten one of each to compare. However, I've read enough literature on here to tell me that free range eggs are better for me.

Prices seem to be dropping, probably due to more competition, but as Sandra said- they are priced that way because they are real foods.. It is what they are worth!!
    This is what I have to do right now. I buy most of my eggs local and free range but sometimes I just don't have the extra cash to spend and have to get the cheapies. Not as good for you but at least it is better than a bowl of corn flakes.

nixxy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by impala454 View Post
    Just don't be a doofus like me and shop late at night and while tired, and mistake "pasturized" for "pastured"
    Oh. my. god.

For weeks I have been wondering what the HECK the big deal is with eggs because when I googled it I must've typed in "pasteurized" and then I was just super confused.

Why can't we all just say free-range -.-

I have also been getting confused because people on here seem to talk about it like it's supermarket bought eggs vs. pastured eggs.... but over here they sell free-range eggs in supermarkets anyway.

Glad I have finally figured this out.
    Last edited by nixxy; 10-07-2012 at 02:56 PM.
    Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

Current PRs:
    Bench: 45kg/99lb
    Squat: 100kg/220lb
    Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

My blog
    My journal

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by nixxy View Post
    Oh. my. god.

For weeks I have been wondering what the HECK the big deal is with eggs because when I googled it I must've typed in "pasteurized" and then I was just super confused.

Why can't we all just say free-range -.-

I have also been getting confused because people on here seem to talk about it like it's supermarket bought eggs vs. pastured eggs.... but over here they sell free-range eggs in supermarkets anyway.

Glad I have finally figured this out.
    Because in the US and many EU nations, free-range ONLY specifies that the chickens are allowed to move around a little. It can be as tiny as a six foot little "field" that has no grass, is just a plot of dirt that the chickens don't even use. Their diet, and other forms of treatment can still be identical to that of typical corporate-farm animals.

In essence, "free-range" therefore makes NO difference nutritionally (as pasture-raised chickens that have eaten grass and bugs would), and in fact, is just a marketing ploy to make us THINK that the chickens are being treated better. Yeah, not so much.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast