Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap grocery store eggs vs. Pastured eggs page 3

impala454 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Just don't be a doofus like me and shop late at night and while tired, and mistake "pasturized" for "pastured"
    -Chuck

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    There's a lady at my boyfriend's work who has chickens. My boyfriend started bringing in used egg cartons to help her out. She thought it was a request for eggs so she would return every egg carton full of eggs. So now we get fresh eggs in exchange for avocados. There's a huge difference with fresh, local, running around the back yard eggs and what they call "free range" in the grocery store. Free range in the grocery store is just chickens crowded in a warehouse standing in their shit.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    One of the important points of PB to me is reduced inflammation, so I pay attention to O3/O6 ratio in my diet. Conventional eggs are high in O6, low O3. If you're eating a couple dozen conventional eggs a week, you'll want to get the O3 fortified eggs (which are sometimes but not always pastured I think).

abstract is offline Junior Member
    I get mine from my local farmers market. They are $4.75 for a large dozen and $5-something for a jumbo dozen. They are fully pastured, but I was told that they do have to supplement with some feed since we live in Southern California and don't always have green grass. I was assured though that they are fed no soy or corn. Its mainly barley and flax and some other stuff, as well as grass and insects that they find on the ground. You're just going to have to do some looking around in your area but hopefully you have some farmers markets and maybe someone can cut you a deal for buying in bulk.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbalch View Post
    And for you budget whiners, please don't echo Big Food's lame defense that they make cheap food and that we are latte sipping BMW driving tree huggers.
    Dude, really, you're talking to real people here. I don't use a cellphone let alone a smartphone. I drive a car from 1992 (and I drive rarely). I don't have cable/tv service of any kind. Oh yeah, I don't buy lattes either because $4-5 for a cup of mediocre Starbucks isn't my style. I also don't carry credit card debt. Now, it doesn't matter whether I do those things for financial or political reasons. I'd really like advice from you as to where I could squeeze more money out.

It seems to me you are the one making assumptions. If you have the time/money to drive around looking for pastured eggs, good for you. But don't assume that people are lazy or not trying if they don't. I've gone organic on all my meats and most of my veggies, and my food budget has increased immensely. If I occasionally buy an egg that I haven't seen being expelled from the chicken, I'm not going to boo hoo about it.

And I'm certainly not going to go all preachy to people who have fixed hours in a week, children, and who have real live budget concerns. Even EWG states that you're better off eating non-organic veggies than eating no veggies.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ATTAACK View Post
    Thanks for this tip! I just checked CL and found more than a few small egg farmers. Also, I found someone selling DUCK eggs! I'll have to wait for a reply from the farmers, but I can't wait to try them. Anybody ever had duck eggs?
    duck eggs are swoony awesome goodness.

to the op: my budget is tight, so i am not having grass-fed rib-eye everyday. but i do spring for pastured eggs and in a pinch the free-range o-3 supermarket eggs. the former come from a local farmer, who sells them through an organic dairy. we pay about $3.25 a dozen for either. still a very cheap source of protein and i am willing to pay. i eat 2-3 eggs almost everyday and b/f eats quite a few too.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    duck eggs are swoony awesome goodness.

to the op: my budget is tight, so i am not having grass-fed rib-eye everyday. but i do spring for pastured eggs and in a pinch the free-range o-3 supermarket eggs. the former come from a local farmer, who sells them through an organic dairy. we pay about $3.25 a dozen for either. still a very cheap source of protein and i am willing to pay. i eat 2-3 eggs almost everyday and b/f eats quite a few too.
    Used to eat them as a kid. Actually, I was forced to. All I remember is that they were totally gross. Maybe I would like them now but I am 63 and figure I can get out of here without any more duck eggs.

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Return of Dado View Post
    I'm always going to tell you that pastured/organic is bullshit. Conventional is better than good enough.

Pastured/organic is a GIANT SCAM BRO!!! UNLESS I'M LOOKING AT THE CHICKEN DROPPING THE EGG, I DON'T BELIEVE THAT SHIT FOR A SECOND!!!

LONG LIVE CONVENTIONAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 DON'T LET THE PSEUDO-INTELLECTUAL ELITISTS GIVE YOU GRIEF ABOUT NOT EATING ORGANIC.

WORD IS BOND.
    lol Agreed!

dbalch is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Dude, really, you're talking to real people here. I don't use a cellphone let alone a smartphone. I drive a car from 1992 (and I drive rarely). I don't have cable/tv service of any kind. Oh yeah, I don't buy lattes either because $4-5 for a cup of mediocre Starbucks isn't my style. I also don't carry credit card debt. Now, it doesn't matter whether I do those things for financial or political reasons. I'd really like advice from you as to where I could squeeze more money out.

It seems to me you are the one making assumptions. If you have the time/money to drive around looking for pastured eggs, good for you. But don't assume that people are lazy or not trying if they don't. I've gone organic on all my meats and most of my veggies, and my food budget has increased immensely. If I occasionally buy an egg that I haven't seen being expelled from the chicken, I'm not going to boo hoo about it.

And I'm certainly not going to go all preachy to people who have fixed hours in a week, children, and who have real live budget concerns. Even EWG states that you're better off eating non-organic veggies than eating no veggies.
    RE veggies I would certainly pay attention to the "filthy fifteen". For example, I never buy non organic peaches. which supposedly use alot of pesticides. But some fruits and veggies require fewer pesticides, so that's where you compromise for the lower price.

And another tip, organ meats are much cheaper than muscle meats and much more dense nutritionally. I've always hated liver, but invested the time in finding a liver pate recipe that I like. Hearts are good for broths. Make a broth and buy a small amount of grass fed beef. Make some meatballs with gluten free bread. Freeze them and drop them into your broths. This costs nothing. I bought a half a lamb from a farmer and saved 30% off the individual cut prices. I'm cooking the bones for a lamb broth as we speak.

So there. A bunch of practical tips to save you money and improve your nutrition. Maybe you don't use a smartphone, but it seems about everybody else out there does, and most don't need one. I use a pay per call plan from Virgin and only pay $7 a month for cell phone service. That's $100 a month I've free up to keep myself healthy. I think that's good advice.

Big Food IS defending itself with the "cheap" argument. They are killing off the whole population and trying to marginalize critics as elitists. That's BS.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the tips. I already eat liver and I have been since my 20s. The only difference now is that instead of the cheap staple it once was, it's organic and is about $4.00/lb. I do keep a list of the clean 15 and dirty dozen in my purse for when I go shopping.

As to gluten free bread, when I made the commitment to myself to stop eating processed foods (before I'd ever even heard of PB), one of the things I committed to was to not eat anything cooked that I couldn't eat raw. If it's processed, it's processed. As I get rid of the processed foods that I was used to eating, I'm not going to replace them with new processed foods just because they're primal approved. IOW, I'm not going to replace wheat flour with another flour. I'd rather just learn to live without flour. That's just me. I also don't eat anything from a can - also not a PB directive.

I also don't currently have the storage to buy half an animal. I do currently have an order in for 20 lbs of wild salmon from an online company that will save me about 25% over local prices.

I'm as against agribusiness as you are. I actually kinda think that Monsanto should be renamed, "Satan, Inc." So we're not that far apart in beliefs. I guess I just figure that a lot of people on this board are doing the best they can. And if someone wants to hold the line on the cost of some things, they should be able to do that without feeling bad about it. Anyway, it's all good.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast