Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap grocery store eggs vs. Pastured eggs page 2

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I also find grass fed beef to taste much different than traditional beef. I really don't care for the taste of corn fed beef. But then I've been a vegetarian for the last 12 years, so I'm super aware of the difference in taste of all these meats I've been eating for the last 2 months. And I agree with Finnegans about the pastured chops, yum!

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    Check craigslist - or even try posting - around me a lot of small scale farms without websites post on craigslist.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Depends on your source....my farm fresh free range stuff is $2 dollars a dozen. I bought from a slightly lager group recently since my farm guy was out for $4.50 a dozen (marked pastured, no GMO, ....ect)! Sick! And the yolk were nowhere near as bright orange and rich as my usual source. In this case I might as well bought the store crap.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bork Bork View Post
    Even if you shop at Walmart and are following the spirit of Primal (purchasing meat, veggies, fruit, and avoiding processed goods), you're still better off than 80-90% of the country.
    ^This!

Last month I ate 7 dozen eggs all on my own. That's a difference of $21 to $42 dollars... over the month. Now where did I put the corkscrew for my $20 bottle of wine...?
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

I'm always going to tell you that pastured/organic is bullshit. Conventional is better than good enough.

Pastured/organic is a GIANT SCAM BRO!!! UNLESS I'M LOOKING AT THE CHICKEN DROPPING THE EGG, I DON'T BELIEVE THAT SHIT FOR A SECOND!!!

LONG LIVE CONVENTIONAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 DON'T LET THE PSEUDO-INTELLECTUAL ELITISTS GIVE YOU GRIEF ABOUT NOT EATING ORGANIC.

WORD IS BOND.

ATTAACK is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lorichka6 View Post
    Check craigslist - or even try posting - around me a lot of small scale farms without websites post on craigslist.
    Thanks for this tip! I just checked CL and found more than a few small egg farmers. Also, I found someone selling DUCK eggs! I'll have to wait for a reply from the farmers, but I can't wait to try them. Anybody ever had duck eggs?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Return of Dado View Post
    I'm always going to tell you that pastured/organic is bullshit. Conventional is better than good enough.

Pastured/organic is a GIANT SCAM BRO!!! UNLESS I'M LOOKING AT THE CHICKEN DROPPING THE EGG, I DON'T BELIEVE THAT SHIT FOR A SECOND!!!

LONG LIVE CONVENTIONAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 DON'T LET THE PSEUDO-INTELLECTUAL ELITISTS GIVE YOU GRIEF ABOUT NOT EATING ORGANIC.

WORD IS BOND.
    Yeah, I actually agree. Thats why I go see the chickens I buy my eggs from. I have seen the cows I buy by the half to have butchered. I grow my own veggies and pick some fruit.

Anything "marked" organic may be bullshit, but doing a little legwork can take care of that and usually for a fraction of the cost since you work with small farmers direct. Support small farms and eat healthier. Good stuff all round. Proceed with your rant

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    but doing a little legwork can take care of that and usually for a fraction of the cost since you work with small farmers direct. Support small farms and eat healthier.
    Joel Salatin (Polyface Farms, The Omnivore's Dilemma) gave a talk in our town and he promoted "local" over "organic." Organic salad for example can be grown on a monoculture farm with farming practices that still might not be ideal. Where local is by far easier to check what the growing/raising conditions are.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

JWBooth is offline Senior Member
    I also opt for the "compromise" solution. I can't taste the difference between pastured and conventional in scrambled eggs, so I use conventional for that. Pastured I save for fried eggs and anytime I'm eating an egg raw. Usually buy 2 cartons of conventional Egglands Best and 1 carton of Pastured every week.

dbalch is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't get the "taste" thing. If you want food that tastes good, eat sugar. Corn fed, antibiotic soaked beef might be a little juicier than grass fed sometimes. So what. Get over your taste buds and eat some REAL FOOD. Get out of the industrial food system, organic or not. Your health and well being depend on it.

And for you budget whiners, please don't echo Big Food's lame defense that they make cheap food and that we are latte sipping BMW driving tree huggers.

A) There are many ways to stretch your food dollar i.e. bone broth, fermenting foods while they are cheap in season
    B) Maybe stop spending $100 a month for your smartphone so you can update Facebook while driving your car
    C) Real food is still cheaper than the hospital bills you will face when you contract a disease of civilization.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast