Thread: Microalbumin level in urine as it relates to a Primal diet? page

jodeyh is offline Member

Microalbumin level in urine as it relates to a Primal diet?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Does anyone have experience with a very high microalbumin in urine test? Mine went from 5.0 when it was tested back in March of this year to 119.1 last week. During that time I went off Metformin...could that have something to do with this high number? I'm a little freaked out, since I know this has to do with kidney function.

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jodeyh View Post
    Does anyone have experience with a very high microalbumin in urine test? Mine went from 5.0 when it was tested back in March of this year to 119.1 last week. During that time I went off Metformin...could that have something to do with this high number? I'm a little freaked out, since I know this has to do with kidney function.
    What is your HbA1C? Your fasting glucose? Usually high microalbumin is related to damaged kidneys and poor filtration, not your protein intake. Healthy kidneys don't typically spill protein in the urine; damaged or overwhelmed kidneys can. At least that's my understanding.

jodeyh is offline Member
    My A1C is 6, down from 6.6, fasting glucose this morning was 124. I guess what I don't understand is why it would go from such a low number to such a high number so quickly. Was the Metformin masking kidney issues, I wonder? Also got my lipid panel back this morning and LDL went up from 98 to 119, VLDL was 39 to 25, trigs from 195 to 126, HDL 46 to 43. Doc said she wanted to put me on Statins because of my LDL and glucose, but that my A1C was coming down nicely with the weight loss (almost 30lbs).

I was also getting my period when the test was taken, so I'm not sure if that can skew it.

With results like that, I would ask my physician whether we could re-test to verify. There's a 24-hour test that collects urine throughout the day and offers a far more accurate result.

The glucose is high, but with the A1C coming down you're moving in the right direction. The lipids aren't necessarily bad - trigs are coming way down. I'm not a fan of statins to begin with, so if your doctor is pushing and you're not sold, perhaps ask to defer a few months and see if the lipids come around even more under Primal.

jodeyh is offline Member
    Great idea FW, I will ask for a retest or the 24 hour one.

I'm NEVER sold on statins, or any drug for that matter. Funny that I take so many medications, but as you say, moving blood markers in the right direction and continuing to lose fat will hopefully ensure that I get off them ALL! (Or at least as many as I can).

I've been on blood pressure meds for years, and one of my Primal goals is to get off them permanently. Lost 30 pounds, saw my trigs drop dramatically, BP inching down, glucose inching down... it takes time. But my doc has said that if this continues she's thinking about removing meds!

If you've lost 30 pounds eating Primally, I have a feeling you're healing your body.

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member
    I also just thought of the fact that microalbumin can be high for about 24 hours after intense exercise. Any chance that occurred? I think some other things like dehydration and UTIs can affect it also.