Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is walking every day considered chronic cardio? page

lindacat is offline Junior Member

Is walking every day considered chronic cardio?

Primal Fuel
    I have been walking outside every day, anywhere from 30" to 75" - not super fast walking, but I do go up and down a few hills, so work up a sweat. IS that considered chronic cardio because I do it every day? I thought walking daily was a good thing as part of Paleo - so I am confused!? I also do yoga and was doing kettlebells for awhile, but have had issues with my back/neck area, so not doing any heavy lifting right now. Thanks!

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    No, walking everyday is not chronic cardio.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lindacat View Post
    I have been walking outside every day, anywhere from 30" to 75"...
    30 to 75 inches? I'm pretty sure that's not what you meant. That's like 1-3 strides.

But no, you should walk as much as possible as far as I'm concerned. As long as it's not cutting into your sleep, I don't see how it could hurt.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Some of the world's healthiest people are said to be standing herdsmen. Don't know how true it is - but standing/walking is supposed to help make your arteries bigger, so plaque doesn't matter as much as you age.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    For the very unfit, brisk walking may be enough to move you into anaerobic exercise, in which case, you could be in that chronic cardio zone.

A related issue, and question, is if you are fit enough to jog and keep your heart rate below 75% of max (which is really how Mark defines moving slowly), are there any downsides to a daily hour long aerobic run? How would that differ from a brisk daily aerobic walk?

lindacat is offline Junior Member
    Sorry, I meant 30-75 minutes......I plan to continue walking daily - but was just curious about it being chronic cardio, as I had read a couple other posts where people were stopping their daily walks because they thought it was chronic.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    So, what would be chronic cardio? I was thinking about jogging 4-5 miles, one day per week. Would that be considered chronic?

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
    So, what would be chronic cardio? I was thinking about jogging 4-5 miles, one day per week. Would that be considered chronic?
    I would say not chronic. Depending on pace and heart rate, could be cardio or not.

My sense is that the problem comes from exercise related stress and chronically elevated cortisol day in and day out. I would have to guess that an all out sprint session every 7-10 days spikes cortisol, which leads to adaptation. Chronically elevated cortisol leads to exhaustion and breakdown.
    Last edited by OneDeltaTenTango; 08-10-2012 at 12:39 PM.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I do sprint interavals a few times per week. Sometimes I get the urge to just jog, maybe as a challenge or something. I figure once every week or two wouldn't be something that keeps cortisol levels chronically elevated.

Nick the Destroyer is offline Senior Member
    I think the term chronic cardio gets tossed around way too much. Most people do not work hard enough, then wonder why they don't see results. I walk 2-4 miles every day with my dog, and do 2-3 days of other cardio (running, rowing, ellyptical) during the week. My lifts all rank in the advanced/elite range for my weight and age, so I guess it's not that chronic.
    "Suffer no guilt yee who wield this in the name of Crom"
    Quote on the Father's Sword

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast