Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat tips page

GeorgiaPeach is offline Senior Member

Squat tips

Primal Fuel
    I'm trying super hard to keep good form doing squats. I seem to do best when I use an exercise ball behind me against a wall up near my shoulders (any lower and I can't stick my butt out). But I still can't seem to get good hamstring and glute work. I feel it mostly in my quads even though I try to keep my weight in my heels and push from my heels. Any tips?
    Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeach View Post
    I'm trying super hard to keep good form doing squats. I seem to do best when I use an exercise ball behind me against a wall up near my shoulders (any lower and I can't stick my butt out). But I still can't seem to get good hamstring and glute work. I feel it mostly in my quads even though I try to keep my weight in my heels and push from my heels. Any tips?
    I was actually just reading this yesterday, and I think it contains the answer to your question (and the answers to several dozen hundred other questions).

Rich Capalbo is offline Member
    I've been trying to improve squat technique for a while. I've found "Squat Rx" on youtube ( Squat Rx #1 - YouTube ) helpful.

I think Mark tells you to do it against a pole at the park or something. Check his Squat Progression video out.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Just for the record - I have never found squatting with your back against a ball (or anything in fact) to be helpful in learning proper technique. If anything this causes the torso to be too upright and doesn't allow proper glute activation.

2tall is offline Member
    Go to youtube and look up a video series called 'So you think you can squat.'

I used a low box to do box squats to fix my form. Most people have issues "sitting back" in a squat.

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    Go to youtube and look up a video series called 'So you think you can squat.'

I used a low box to do box squats to fix my form. Most people have issues "sitting back" in a squat.
    I was lucky, I could squat ass to grass with perfect form first time I tried.

A big tip I have to share, and this will save you a lot of trouble and keep you safe:

I can't stress this enough:

Keep your abs as tight as you can when you squat so that you will protect your back, I really can't stress this enough.

GeorgiaPeach is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    Just for the record - I have never found squatting with your back against a ball (or anything in fact) to be helpful in learning proper technique. If anything this causes the torso to be too upright and doesn't allow proper glute activation.
    Then maybe this is the missing link... If you don't use some support, how do you progress? As in if I'm too weak for full, real squats, how do I work up to them?
    Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

CE402 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Return of Dado View Post
    A big tip I have to share, and this will save you a lot of trouble and keep you safe:

I can't stress this enough:

Keep your abs as tight as you can when you squat so that you will protect your back, I really can't stress this enough.

THIS.

Only time I've ever hurt my back squatting was when I wasn't mentally focused and relaxed my abs. Once resulted in three weeks away from the bar, and great difficulty in moving for a week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast