Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hungry between breakfast and lunch page

sarahac is offline Junior Member

Hungry between breakfast and lunch

Shop Now
    Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are about to wrap up our third week of pretty strict primal/paleo diet.

I am definitely one of those people who is hungry right when I wake up and and love eating eggs so a typical primal breakfast is no problem to me. My issue is that I have pretty consistently been getting hungry each day right about 11am while my lunch break is at 12:30. I'd rather not consistently be relying on nuts for a snack (so easy to over do it) so my question is.. Do you tend to eat a larger breakfast and then stay full until lunch or do you have a snack (nuts, meat, veggies) before lunch?

My stats:
    -25 year old female,130lbs, 5'5"
    -Typical breakfast as of right now: 2 scrambled eggs or piece of paleo-quiche and a serving of fruit.
    -Went Paleo to maintain weight and in the beginnings of more weight lifting geared work outs instead of cardio driven workouts.

Thanks in advance for your input!

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    My husband was having that problem. Where I am content until lunch with just eggs, he was getting hungry after just a couple of hours. We solved that by having him eat a bit of meat in the mornings with his eggs. So, he'll have an ounce of smoked salmon, or maybe put leftover chicken or hamburger into his omelet. That made all the difference and easily holds him until lunch.

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    ummm...eat a bigger breakfast

orielwen is offline Senior Member
    Add just a little more to your breakfast. I eat a boiled egg (two if I've just worked out), plus half an avocado, a stick of celery, some yoghurt and a handful of nuts. That keeps me going until about 1ish. My husband eats two boiled eggs, the nuts, avocado and celery, and a piece of cold chicken (drumstick or thigh), and then he needs to eat again at midday. So it depends on your body, but there's nothing wrong with eating a little more breakfast. I thoroughly recommend adding in an avocado.

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    I eat a really large breakfast heavy on the protein and am not hungry again until dinnertime. Usually I make a scramble/frittata of veggies, meat and eggs cooked in butter. We've been eating this way for over a year but initially we did have to have a smallish lunch but the longer we continue on this path it has become unneccessary.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

sarahac is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for all of the encouragement to go with a bigger breakfast. Makes sense to me now!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Sometimes the bigger breakfast doesn't work for me. I still get hungry before lunch. Taking a short walk seems to help.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    I usually eat two eggs for breakfast. I find that adding a pat or two of butter, half an avocado, or some cheese to the two eggs keeps me full much longer than just the eggs. So a little extra fat might help (no need to go crazy with it though).

The other thing is that your body may need to learn that it's okay to get a little hungry. I stopped snacking a while ago, I find that it makes me feel much better than the constant face-stuffing I was doing before on SAD foods (when it was necessary, to avoid a blood sugar crash). If I get super hungry before it's "time" I'll go ahead and eat the meal early. But usually I just deal with being hungry for a little while. True hunger is neither painful nor bad for you.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielle5690 View Post
    The other thing is that your body may need to learn that it's okay to get a little hungry. I stopped snacking a while ago, I find that it makes me feel much better than the constant face-stuffing I was doing before on SAD foods (when it was necessary, to avoid a blood sugar crash). If I get super hungry before it's "time" I'll go ahead and eat the meal early. But usually I just deal with being hungry for a little while. True hunger is neither painful nor bad for you.
    It's true. Real, primal hunger is different than the SAD shaky, crabby, low blood sugar hunger you're probably used to.

Have a glass of water with lemon juice or a cup of coffee/tea in the meantime. It's only an hour.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Msilver is offline Member
    It gets easier after you're fully fat adapted.

I eat a 4 egg omelette with sausage and half an avocado at 4:30 am and that lasts me till noon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast