Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Going primal, but not 100% page 7

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Nady View Post
    No. Everyone is 50% primal, except vegans.
    I was thinking about that....they food pyramid is probably about 50% primal but the way most people eat is far far less.

To the OP, you sound like you enjoy your running and lifestyle but I would not call it Primal.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    I was thinking about that....they food pyramid is probably about 50% primal but the way most people eat is far far less.

To the OP, you sound like you enjoy your running and lifestyle but I would not call it Primal.
    Probably some, but I'd bet there are plenty that eat healthy foods, if they could just break their addiction to wheat!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_h View Post
    52 out of 1095 is 4.8%
    thanks. I misread my decimal point. It was something like late at night when I did it. but still, 4% is less than 20% right?

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by annedawso View Post
    Was watching an interesting documentary yesterday about the Amish community. No sign of an obesity epidemic amongst them.
    Not to be argumentative or anything, just my own personal observation from my area. We are close to Amish and Mennonite communities, and I had both work on my home. The Mennonites, from my observation, are more Conventional and more modern - they use things like trucks, cars, tractors, cell phones, drive-thru, etc and many of the older men are pot bellied - that I have seen. I havent really been around their women much, but I do see some of the women riding bikes to and from, but some do drive also, and they hold outside jobs as well. But the Amish, I was around both their men and women for almost a year as they built my home and cabinets, etc and I took them to their doctors sometimes and various places, and their men who do NOT use any (many) modern technologies, the men stay lean. Too skinny almost. If they want to talk to someone, they have to walk, or go hitch up the horse and buggy. They plow with a team of horses, etc. The women however, the younger ones look thin but many of the more mature ladies of a certain age that I met, are heavy. I know they love their baked goods. Lots of breads, pies, cookies, etc. At least around here
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

annedawso is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Not to be argumentative or anything, just my own personal observation from my area. We are close to Amish and Mennonite communities, and I had both work on my home. The Mennonites, from my observation, are more Conventional and more modern - they use things like trucks, cars, tractors, cell phones, drive-thru, etc and many of the older men are pot bellied - that I have seen. I havent really been around their women much, but I do see some of the women riding bikes to and from, but some do drive also, and they hold outside jobs as well. But the Amish, I was around both their men and women for almost a year as they built my home and cabinets, etc and I took them to their doctors sometimes and various places, and their men who do NOT use any (many) modern technologies, the men stay lean. Too skinny almost. If they want to talk to someone, they have to walk, or go hitch up the horse and buggy. They plow with a team of horses, etc. The women however, the younger ones look thin but many of the more mature ladies of a certain age that I met, are heavy. I know they love their baked goods. Lots of breads, pies, cookies, etc. At least around here
    That's interesting, it was only an hour long documentary so may not have been a true reflection and I they were younger traditional ones so that might explain why they were so slim. Amazes me that communities like that exist in America. The younger kids seemed to have a very active, outdoor life. Made me feel quite ashamed at how my kids want to play for hrs on their game consoles and I am as bad with my ipad. Though we do get out and about and do a lot of sport.

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Count me as one who does not label myself. I just think its important to eat real food and I do just that almost all of the time. That doesn't mean that I don't have some pizza on occasion. I do and I'm fine with it. I also love good beer. I enjoy it and will continue to. The bottom line though is that the vast majority of what I eat is real food. I think if you use that as your template, you really can't go wrong.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by annedawso View Post
    That's interesting, it was only an hour long documentary so may not have been a true reflection and I they were younger traditional ones so that might explain why they were so slim. Amazes me that communities like that exist in America. The younger kids seemed to have a very active, outdoor life. Made me feel quite ashamed at how my kids want to play for hrs on their game consoles and I am as bad with my ipad. Though we do get out and about and do a lot of sport.
    Oh I know. They are happy running around, even if just playing with sticks. But they work too, age appropriate but everyone pitches in. They are always busy doing something. Never an idle hand. And definitely no weight issues with their children. I only notice women after about 40ish seem to get heavy. And they look much older. Even the men though lean, look older.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Barefoot Gentile is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
    Count me as one who does not label myself. I just think its important to eat real food and I do just that almost all of the time. That doesn't mean that I don't have some pizza on occasion. I do and I'm fine with it. I also love good beer. I enjoy it and will continue to. The bottom line though is that the vast majority of what I eat is real food. I think if you use that as your template, you really can't go wrong.
    Exactly! I was vegetarian for awhile, and now after reading the primal blueprint good, which I personally don't believe the philosophy of all of it. I basically morphed both things together, and that's the way I eat. I like meat, but not too much of it. Bottom line, the worse thing to do IS but a label on yourself.

Bob-Tao is offline Member
    Agreed. I think we have a brain so we can plot our own course, take what's good and works for us, but feel free to modify things as things change for the better or worse. I tried eating vegetarian several times for a few weeks at a time over the last 40 years but the only benefit I got from it was very regular and easy bowel movements. My weight didn't budge and my blood pressure didn't either. Other people got much better results, but I never did.

I just stopped eating anything that is primarily grain or legume 9 days ago and I feel really good. The wired feeling is gone. The few days of scary energy (waking up at 5AM and going for a walk) are gone and I am back to normal, but feeling good.

I still eat incidental grains (the breadcrumbs on my wife's breaded chicken breast and the crust on her quiche, the coating on a potato knish) but I haven't eaten anything made primarily of grains or legumes (rice, corn, cookies, cake, hummus, bread, oatmeal, etc.). I feel good and don't crave those foods either. For my sweet tooth I eat pecans with wild honey, or strawberries with honey, or cherries or grapes. One exception is I still have my Jack Daniels sour mash whiskey, but I'm having less of it without trying to cut down.

I've been charting my BP a few times a day for the last 5 months since I started on Micardis HCT. In the past 9 days my BP has been averaging about 140/78. This is up about 6 points from where it was the week before I stopped the grains and legumes. But I also stopped taking the Micardis HCT 9 days ago when I stopped the grains and legumes. I know you aren't supposed to just quit BP meds but I did anyway and monitored it closely. At 66 I'll take 140/78 and no meds to 134/78 with meds. Maybe with another 10 pounds off and continued exercise I may go below what the meds brought me to.

My weight is down 3-1/2 lbs in 9 days. I'm 6'1 and weigh 208. I'm not trying to exercise, but am doing useful jobs around the house and garden. I do have more energy and desire to do stuff. I am interested to see how this plays out in the next few weeks and months. I'm glad I found this site to reinforce these ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot Gentile View Post
    Exactly! I was vegetarian for awhile, and now after reading the primal blueprint good, which I personally don't believe the philosophy of all of it. I basically morphed both things together, and that's the way I eat. I like meat, but not too much of it. Bottom line, the worse thing to do IS but a label on yourself.
    Last edited by Bob-Tao; 08-17-2012 at 01:43 PM.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    considering the amount of produce we buy, one person asked if we were raw vegans and really into juicing. No, we're just really into produce.

Most of my food volume is veg. I also eat meat (about once a day) and eggs (once a day). But, it's usually 2-3 eggs and 4-6 oz meat. It's not like you have to "eat a lot of meat" to be primal. I just eat what I need calorically, and that's that.

I choose not to eat grains. I had amazing results in two weeks after eating *zero* grains. The little pad of fat on my lower abs (that i'd had basically since puberty) was gone! I dropped from about 20-22% body fat to 18-20% body fat. And, I was less "puffy" -- no gas, bloating, or edema issues.

Sure, on occasion I have cake, cookies, bread, or rice. rice seems to be ok no matter what (no big impact), but the rest of it is definitely bloat-inducing. I eat it anyway when I want, but still.

So, it was enough for me to go "right, this is the right way for me to go!" And, there's nothing wrong with having a label either. It says "this si how I eat" and that is all. It's not a big deal. It's not like you have to take it personally or let it "define" you.

It is what it is. Whether or not *you* do it doesn't matter to me. It's whether or not *i* do it, and how I understand the doing it to be.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567