Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Going primal, but not 100% page 4

Barefoot Gentile is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    My bad, I just thought I could get some answers on here. I was honest with my first post but then people started to attack it and call me lazy. Nekron, you sound angry, I hope you get things sorted out for yourself. Seems like everyone is a master specimen of the human design with bodies to die for, must be cool being so perfect.

Cheers all!
    Last edited by Barefoot Gentile; 08-11-2012 at 10:01 AM.

Bob-Tao is offline Member
    Wow, I'm new to this forum and can't agree with this reaction. In fact I thought it was against the rules. All I can say is if you are this angry at this man's opinion then you ought to ask yourself why... But thats just me. To me it seems his glass at present is half full, not half empty.
    Since this is my first post I can say I gave up grains three days ago on a whim and then found this website. I'm a 66 years old retiree who had prostate surgery 2 months ago. 4 days ago I stopped taking my last medication of any kind, which was micardis HCT for high blood pressure. I have been exercising and meditating and 4 days later my blood pressure is as good as it was while I was on the meds for the last 6 months which is below 140/85.
    About three months ago my doc said my cholesterol and tryglicerides were OK, and it surprised me. I don't track the numbers but have been eating home cooked, natural foods rather than processed foods as much as possible. I guess that did some good. Since I retired 5 years ago I went down from 235 to 219 doing just that and nothing else. I'm 6'1" and now weigh 208 after losing 11 lbs in the last 12 weeks on Weight Watchers. Seems WW is wholly compatible with Primal.
    I'm not much of a follower or believer in anything I can't prove for myself so while I read the theories, I really only care if they work for me. I agree with a lot of the theories here but right now I'm not planning to do more than give up grains and legumes and restrict cheese to a minimum.
    I like dairy, coffee, butter, whole milk, mayo, sour cream, wine and the occasional dixie cup sundae. I have been eating fish, avocado, cherries, egg salad, tuna salad, sour cream, coffee with whole milk, wine. I'm planning on sticking with not eating grains and legumes to see what happens. If my wife makes something with breadcrumbs or a quiche, I'm not going to scrape off the breadcrumbs or leave the crust, but I'm not eating grains or legumes as a meal.
    My favorite exercise is mowing the grass/weeds on my 1/3 acre in summer, clearing leaves in fall, and clearing snow in winter. I also enjoy hitting the heavy bag and walking.
    One final point is I think the whole "if you are not with us you are against us" philosophy is just nuts. I see it in religion, politics, food, exercise, ecology, science, academia, etc. and I always am amazed that no one convinces the other side of anything, ever, but the debates rage on. I have to wonder why?

Bob in NJ
    Grok On.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekron View Post
    Pathetic troll.
    So you know that you are eating crap and you want to continue eating crap, thats nice, go ahead and do it. No one here cares one bit about what you eat and why.
    The important question is: Why discuss half-assed attempts at eating "somewhat healthy but not too much you have to live too everything in moderation derpherp" here? Its called doing something a little bit but not too much when it might get hard, everyone does it, most people live their whole live with it and they are somewhat (but not extraordinarily!) happy with it.

Go to a vegan forum and tell them "yeah id like to become a vegan but every other week i do a huge fuckin barbecue with all my friends, blackjack and hookers DEAL WITH IT" its so pointless.

And as your retarded brain will probably tell you "oh hes angry", i can assure you im totally calm, you just dont have anything thats worth discussing. You are in the shape of your life, thats awesome, you could be way better off if you wouldnt drink beer and eat pizza, there thats all content all your posts had.

annedawso is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-Tao View Post
    Wow, I'm new to this forum and can't agree with this reaction. In fact I thought it was against the rules. All I can say is if you are this angry at this man's opinion then you ought to ask yourself why... But thats just me. To me it seems his glass at present is half full, not half empty.
    Since this is my first post I can say I gave up grains three days ago on a whim and then found this website. I'm a 66 years old retiree who had prostate surgery 2 months ago. 4 days ago I stopped taking my last medication of any kind, which was micardis HCT for high blood pressure. I have been exercising and meditating and 4 days later my blood pressure is as good as it was while I was on the meds for the last 6 months which is below 140/85.
    About three months ago my doc said my cholesterol and tryglicerides were OK, and it surprised me. I don't track the numbers but have been eating home cooked, natural foods rather than processed foods as much as possible. I guess that did some good. Since I retired 5 years ago I went down from 235 to 219 doing just that and nothing else. I'm 6'1" and now weigh 208 after losing 11 lbs in the last 12 weeks on Weight Watchers. Seems WW is wholly compatible with Primal.
    I'm not much of a follower or believer in anything I can't prove for myself so while I read the theories, I really only care if they work for me. I agree with a lot of the theories here but right now I'm not planning to do more than give up grains and legumes and restrict cheese to a minimum.
    I like dairy, coffee, butter, whole milk, mayo, sour cream, wine and the occasional dixie cup sundae. I have been eating fish, avocado, cherries, egg salad, tuna salad, sour cream, coffee with whole milk, wine. I'm planning on sticking with not eating grains and legumes to see what happens. If my wife makes something with breadcrumbs or a quiche, I'm not going to scrape off the breadcrumbs or leave the crust, but I'm not eating grains or legumes as a meal.
    My favorite exercise is mowing the grass/weeds on my 1/3 acre in summer, clearing leaves in fall, and clearing snow in winter. I also enjoy hitting the heavy bag and walking.
    One final point is I think the whole "if you are not with us you are against us" philosophy is just nuts. I see it in religion, politics, food, exercise, ecology, science, academia, etc. and I always am amazed that no one convinces the other side of anything, ever, but the debates rage on. I have to wonder why?

Bob in NJ
    Grok On.
    Welcome, haven't read all the thread but you find all types of opinions on here and most people are very tolerant.
    There is no single answer for any of us. Some eat more carbs than others, some eat more fruit. I find it a really good forum to get ideas. Mark whose forum it is seems a really laid back guy, who is tolerant to everyone's opinion.
    I like your exercise routine, I like it when exercise actually has a purpose ie clearing leaves.
    There is loads of good info on here. Some people are evangelical but hey ho i take it with a pinch of salt.
    Good luck.

Thanks Bob, it's almost like a cult here, but I am open to any discussions and hope to continue to post in a more positive manner, as well as get some positive feedback. The bottom line to me is eat healthy, but everything in moderation. I think Mark even said in his book not to deny cravings, life is too short to get all crazy about something as simple as eating.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot Gentile View Post
    My bad, I just thought I could get some answers on here. I was honest with my first post but then people started to attack it and call me lazy. Nekron, you sound angry, I hope you get things sorted out for yourself. Seems like everyone is a master specimen of the human design with bodies to die for, must be cool being so perfect.

Cheers all!
    You did get answers~ you just didn't want to hear them. Keep eating the way you want to eat. But don't come here and tell us we're brainwashed on speculation. My body rejected grains and legumes over 20 years ago~ had nothing to do with Mark or PB. Yeah, when I was just about your age.

Nekron is offline Senior Member
    See this is why i dont debate with monkeys, i stated facts, not more not less. I also noted i am in no way angry at anyone, and still the monkeys go and say "oooh hes angry", i wish there were less monkeys on this planets and more fully functional human beings :/

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot Gentile View Post
    Thanks Bob, it's almost like a cult here, but I am open to any discussions and hope to continue to post in a more positive manner, as well as get some positive feedback. The bottom line to me is eat healthy, but everything in moderation. I think Mark even said in his book not to deny cravings, life is too short to get all crazy about something as simple as eating.
    If you post positively you'll get positive stuff back : ). People really were just trying to be honest with you, and they're going to defend eating this way because they like it a lot. When you start saying it's obsessive or cultish, people get offended. And it's not just people here who would react that way; people generally find that kind of thing insulting.

You should check out the success story posts that Mark does on Fridays. Lots of people who are athletic beasts and then find them selves even more athletically beasty after making some changes. I mean you came here, so you know there might be something to it! Hope you stick around!

Quote Originally Posted by Nekron View Post
    See this is why i dont debate with monkeys, i stated facts, not more not less. I also noted i am in no way angry at anyone, and still the monkeys go and say "oooh hes angry", i wish there were less monkeys on this planets and more fully functional human beings :/
    I am a monkey! That is a huge compliment actually, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bork Bork View Post
    Props to you. You're tougher than I am. Now go eat a meatza!
    Keep up the running, it's amazing how we don't need traditional running shoes to run, they destroy the body. Try some barefoot running at some point, it's allot fun, and the sensation is awesome.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    I grew up eating lots of bread,
    i think most westerners did too. i know i did.

I love pretzels, and love carbs, everything that is not primal, but I do eat healthy.
    that might be cw healthy, but not primal healthy. grains, sugar and crap oils are the unholy trinity of bad food choices. while grains are carbs, so are vegetables and fruit. eggs have carbs. nobody is demonizing carbs. grains? yes.

I do not have problems with cholesterol levels, blood pressure, and never been over weight.
    for now your intense activity is keeping your numbers good. i have a very fit, slim friend who had a quadruple by-pass last year. all his numbers were "normal". if his wife, a nurse, hadn't been home when he had his heart attack, he would have died.

I have been following the primal protocol and it does makes sense, but I cheat, allot. I love pizza, will never give it up.
    cognitive dissonance then? lots of people say "never" about stuff they think they couldn't live without. once you try it for awhile, you'll be amazed at how different you feel. it's most usually a "DOH!" moment. i had no idea how sick grains made me all my life. in 3 years of living without them, i have not been sick once. not a cold, sniffle or cough.

I guess my question is, is there anyone else out there that follows the primal diet but not 100%?
    if you indeed read the book, you know mark offers the 80-20 window. but it's not a 20-80 window for very good reason.

other than crap grains, pizza and beer, nobody here knows what you eat. only you do. maybe the rest of the time you're living on oysters, liver and kale.

if you want to continue doing what you've always done because it "works", why are you even here?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast