Thread: Asthaxanthin? page

b.good is offline Junior Member

Asthaxanthin?

Shop Now
    So I decided to start supplementing with asthaxanthin for its innumerable claimed antioxidant benefits. One of these includes protection from sun damage to the skin. I've been trying to get lots of sun this summer and I was wondering why I haven't been getting burned (I'm as white as they come) then I realized it must be from taking the asthaxanthin. Stoked! I am curious though, will this interfere with vitamin d absorption? Any thoughts? Has anyone seen any studies about this?

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    I don't know, but taking Vitamin D kept me from burning as bad as I used to even before I started taking the astaxanthin.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

George is offline Junior Member
    I've gone 30 days on astaxanthin with plenty of sun and also found that just getting sun and supplementing with Vit D when that much sun isn't available did the same thing.

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    I take both astaxanthin and D, plus I use a Vit D sunlamp during the rainy season.

I find that liberal applications of coconut oil to sunburns help them heal faster, and I do think that the astaxanthin does speed up healing, as well. Of course, eating lots of salmon and other fatty fish will provide your system (and skin) with essential fatty acids (omega 3), which it needs for healing. Astaxanthin is why salmon is pink/red - the stuff salmon eats has a lot of it.

[I'm a very fair redhead - with many years of experience in dealing with sunburns]

George is offline Junior Member
    I had a pretty bad sunburn once and found that soaking a t-shirt in babyoil then wearing it to bed cured it almost overnight.

I also eat a lot of salmon so this may be a factor I hadn't thought about.
    My posts are for information only, based on my own research and experience. It is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. The reader should always consult his or her healthcare provider to determine the appropriateness of the information for their own situation or if they have any questions regarding a medical condition or treatment plan.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I had a pretty bad sunburn once and found that soaking a t-shirt in babyoil then wearing it to bed cured it almost overnight.

I also eat a lot of salmon so this may be a factor I hadn't thought about.

My posts are for information only, based on my own research and experience. It is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. The reader should always consult his or her healthcare provider to determine the appropriateness of the information for their own situation or if they have any questions regarding a medical condition or treatment plan.
    Nice disclaimer George!

Mind if I use something similar in my sig? It will address a few members who insist that every post must be accompanied w/ links to scientific studies & also lets folks know that any health repercussions to them are their full responsibility, as if we all didn't know that already...
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    I found I didn't need my prescription sunglasses anymore after being on Astaxanthin for 6 months.
    Close up is still clear but faraway had gotten blurry; driving, movies, etc.
    I bought a pair of Oliver Peoples and noticed my eyesight was just fine with them.
    So it's either the Astaxanthin or this awesome way of eating we all are doing

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    I take both vit D 10,000iu & astaxanthin 5mg. I don't think that the vit D absorption has been effected. Since my vit D is taken in what my oncologist considers a mega-dose, I get my level drawn a couple times per year. My last level was at 87, right where I want it but she would like it around 50. Every time I lower my dose, I catch whatever bug is going around and prove that less than 10,000iu is just not enough for me. I also remember reading that astaxanthin will make you less suseptible to sunburn.