Thread: How to talk about cholesterol, grains and oats to vegetarians? page

Zerhyn is offline Junior Member

I am basically curious about the relationship between cholesterol, grains and oats...

My roommate and my graduate advisor are both vegetarians. So it is always fun trying to talk to them about health and what one should or should not be eating. I am relatively new to this so I am not great at getting my point across with all the right information.

My roommate and I were discussing cholesterol this evening. And he posed some questions that I wasn't able to answer.

So I read Griff's Primer to Cholesterol (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ht=cholesterol) and understood that the total cholesterol isn't everything, it is the ratios between the trigs, HDL and LDL that are important and better indicators of heart disease.

But I have some questions... If our body produces 1000-1400 mg of cholesterol a day roughly, why does our blood work come in around 150-200. And if we eat a high fat diet with low carbs, why does this number go up? and if we eat a diet low in fat,and high in grains and oats, why does this number go down?

If I eat 3 eggs, will the cholesterol go straight into my blood and raise my cholesterol level? Does the cholesterol in my blood at a given time of day change? Will it be 250 in the morning and 150 at night?

How much do the ratios matter compared to the cholesterol levels? What if the over all cholesterol level was 500, but had good ratios between the various types of cholesterol?

I am curious because my roommate claims that he has friends that have had high cholesterol levels and they went on a diet that had things like oatmeal and little meat. This lowered his friends cholesterol to a "safer" number.

Sorry for the rambling, but this is my beer and dark chocolate night!
    Last edited by Zerhyn; 03-30-2010 at 05:25 PM.

Zerhyn is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Anyone have any thoughts?