Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cholesterol - Why do Traditional HG's have better results than us on Primal page 2

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by nixxy View Post
    After 3 months of eating primal and losing ~38 lb
    Total: 200
    Trigs: 80
    HDL: 50
    LDL: 140

Total/HDL: 4.0 (Supposed to be 4.4 or lower for women)
    Trig/HDL: 1.6 (Supposed to be below 2)
    LDL/HDL: 2.8 (Supposed to be below 4.3)

So, I improved in every single area! Trigs went down, HDL came up, and all my ratios are now acceptable.
    Congratulations, great numbers in every way, maybe I should have asked for posts on good numbers, just seemed there was overwhelming tendancy to the high LDL & high Total with most here.

Can I ask, if not too personal, do you have any other health issues, just wonder if that is a factor in those recovering from autoimmune, eating disorders, IBS etc?

nixxy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Congratulations, great numbers in every way, maybe I should have asked for posts on good numbers, just seemed there was overwhelming tendancy to the high LDL & high Total with most here.

Can I ask, if not too personal, do you have any other health issues, just wonder if that is a factor in those recovering from autoimmune, eating disorders, IBS etc?
    Haha yeah well my LDL went down and my total did too so I'm pleased as punch. I don't know how much credence I give to cholesterol in predicting heart stuff but I suppose it's like a back-up thing.. if it IS a big factor, I want mine to be good.

No other health issues really. Nothing autoimmune, no eating disorder (although to reach 280lb... you have to wonder hahaha. But it was obviously consistently bad eating), no IBS.

My doctor suspects I have PCOS but that's a recent development (although I've probably had it for a long time, she's only mentioned it now). I fit almost all the symptoms of excess androgens (no beard though, sorry), and that is all tied up in insulin resistance as well, which I likely created through gaining so much weight.
    Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

Current PRs:
    Bench: 45kg/99lb
    Squat: 100kg/220lb
    Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

My blog
    My journal

Thanks for that, so no chronic issues outside of the excess weight, I just have a suspicion the high LDL may often be related to inflamation from a pre existing condition.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    ^This. This is why HGs have such low cholesterol.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

jerry lewis is offline Junior Member
    Probably because their getting is much more occasional and less expected. They are mostly likely not 3 products foods a day most of the time

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    ^This. This is why HGs have such low cholesterol.
    That only explains the Ultra low levels to some degree and normal TC seems to be considered in the 200-240 range,
    What about those individuals who are sporting TC over 300, are they ultra clean of parasites?
    There has to be some other fundamental issue with extra high cholesterol, it is either purely genetic or caused by an environmental factor possibly inflamation.
    My question I suppose is:
    If your Total cholesterol is significantly over 250 consistantly, does this indicate there is an underlying issue to be addressed?

abstract is offline Junior Member
    I don't know about anyone else but my LDL is only 120, HDL is 67 and Triglycerides were 49. I'd say I'm doing ok.

Quote Originally Posted by abstract View Post
    I don't know about anyone else but my LDL is only 120, HDL is 67 and Triglycerides were 49. I'd say I'm doing ok.
    According to the calculator below your total is 196 and you are nearly perfect.
    Cholesterol HDL/LDL/Triglycerides Ratios Calculator

So another one with great numbers, still wondering about why we need to justify high numbers over 250 TC.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    According to the calculator below your total is 196 and you are nearly perfect.
    Cholesterol HDL/LDL/Triglycerides Ratios Calculator

So another one with great numbers, still wondering about why we need to justify high numbers over 250 TC.
    I dont think it needs justified at all. What need justification is the chemical alteration of such numbers. The burden of evidence is on the intervention.

Also to even consider cholesterol abnormal have the test taken multiple times since it is proven that there are substantial fluctuations from one day to the next.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 08-10-2012 at 06:52 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12