Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I bought my first whole chicken... What do I do with it?! :) page

cavebabymama is offline Senior Member

So I bought my first whole chicken... What do I do with it?! :)

Primal Fuel
    I have a fine little pastured chicken I'm looking forward to cooking up tomorrow. Anyone have a kick butt recipe for it? How do I get the skin crispy and amazing? How do I make broth with the bones and then do I just drink the broth? Help please!
    Happy Wifey and NEW MOM!
    Pre-preg weight: 130
    Current: 145 (eek!)
    Goal: ??? <-- whatever it takes to get rid of this tire!
    Started Primal in May '12.
    My Blog
    Join the Revolution!

steve.mull is offline Member
    Dunno about the broth, but what I like to do with a whole chicken is this. Not sure of the term, but I use a deep pan that has flat piece with slots that sits on top. I fill the bottom up with sweet potatoes, mushrooms, onions, carrots etc.. Drizzle in some olive oil and a few slices of butter and seasonings of your choice. I think part of the key to a good whole chicken is to season both on top, and underneath the skin. Just poke a small hole near where the breast meets the cavity, and pull back the skin from the muscle. Toss in you seasonings and a few small slices of butter where you can fit it. Rub the outside with some olive oil, then season all over. Set oven to 425 and cook for about an hour for a 3-4lb bird. Voila. The best part is the veggies. They soak up so much flavor as the chicken fat drips on top of them. For seasoning I like to use salt, pepper, paprika, and some parsley or basil but you may use whatever you like.

ecole66 is offline Senior Member
    Rub chicken with your favorite spice rub. Preheat smoker to 350f. Place chicken in smoker and leave in smoker until meat thermometer reaches 165f. Let rest for a few minutes then devour.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Guy Fieri does a beer can chicken with bacon: Big Bud's Beer Can Chicken Recipe : Guy Fieri : Recipes : Food Network

My first attempt at chicken bone broth was a total fail, so I can't help you there.

lambchop is offline Senior Member
    As stevemull says. Half way through you may want to cover the breasts with foil, so they don't get too dry. Good luck!

BONZ is offline Senior Member
    I can't cook, I grill. (Yeah, I said it... they're not the same thing) Wifey, however, can cook ...... and while this won't help you AT ALL in putting your little headless guy to some consumptive use.... she never passes up the opportunity to make it dance before boiling in a cauldron. Yes, it's as funny as it sounds. You're thinking about it right now..... You're going to do it later, watch! haha
    Went Primal: 20 DEC 2011
    Starting: 6'1" 220 lbs
    Starting Energy: "bleh...."
    Current: 183 lbs @ 8.33% BF (Jackson/Pollock 4 caliper method)
    Current Energy: "WOOHOO!" See my journal HERE.

"Paleo? Try it, but be wary of the cult mentality that comes with it. Paleovangelists are everywhere and a bit scary."

KKDMB is offline Member
    The broth from a well cooked chicken is the best! The way I go about things:

Season both sides of chicken and toss some extra seasonings in the cavity. Under the skin too, if you like! Maybe toss a cut up lemon inside the cavity and season with thyme, rosemary, sage (salt and pepper are givens). Or if you like it hot, do some salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder, paprika, and cayenne! Just play around. Bake in a 350-375 degree oven for 60-75 minutes, breast side down. After the 60-75 minutes (depending on the weight of the chicken - there are guides all over the internet), flip the bird over so the breast side is up, and be careful to keep all the skin on there! This will make sure the breast is nice and juicy but that the skin gets all crisped up. Turn oven up to 425 for skin-crispiness and go for another 15-25 minutes. Or you can keep it breast-side up and not do the flipping, but I find that this does make all the difference in how juicy the breast meat is.

K, BONE BROTH. The (arguably) best part!

Throw carcass into large pot or crock pot. Turn heat on LOW (just enough to keep it simmering). Cover with water. Add peppercorns, bay leaves, rosemary sprig... whatever you like, have on hand, and sounds delicious. Optional: Add a mirepoix, which is just a combination of diced carrots, onions, and celery for some extra kick and richness. Put lid on. Wait between 4 and 20 hours. Much after that and I find the broth gets rather bitter. It also gets bitter if it is at a rolling boil, so that long, low cook is important. Strain and viola! Now, some people choose to go through the additional step of refrigerating their broth and skimming the fat on top to get rid of the undesirable PUFA content. It just depends on your preferences and where the bird is from. Personally, I'm kind of blasphemous and usually keep the fat but it's completely up to you. Refrigerate and use within the week or freeze.

Enjoy!
    Live Clean, Love Hard. Or vice versa.

Female! Height: 5'10.5" HW: 161 SW: 135 CW: 124 GW: Whatever number my body wants to be when I'm eating and moving well - trying to get that muscle mass up.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Jamie Oliver does it best. Super simple. Delicious!

perfect roast chicken | Chicken - Recipes (UK) - Jamie Oliver
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

cavebabymama is offline Senior Member
    I found this recipe from Martha Stewart
    Crisp-Skinned Chicken with Rosemary Potatoes - Martha Stewart Recipes

I'm tempted to give this a go with a sweet potato and coconut flour in place of the cornstarch... I'll let you all know if it turns out (fingers crossed!).
    Happy Wifey and NEW MOM!
    Pre-preg weight: 130
    Current: 145 (eek!)
    Goal: ??? <-- whatever it takes to get rid of this tire!
    Started Primal in May '12.
    My Blog
    Join the Revolution!

Chris_H is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Chicken under a brick with Avocados and Chillis from epicurious

1 3 1/2–4-pound chicken, backbone removed
    1 tablespoon kosher salt plus more
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper plus more for seasoning
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
    2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
    3 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves
    1 large fresh poblano chile, quartered, seeded
    1 large red bell pepper, quartered, seeded
    1 red onion, cut into 1/2" slices
    1/4 cup (or more) red wine vinegar
    2 garlic cloves, sliced
    1 cup fresh basil leaves
    4 avocados, halved and pitted
    1/4 teaspoon chili powder

Open chicken and place on a work surface, skin side up. Using your palms, firmly press on breastbone to flatten the breast. Season chicken all over with 1 tablespoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and cayenne. Place in a baking dish; rub with 1 tablespoon oil, sprinkle with lemon zest, and scatter rosemary over. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.

Build a medium-low fire in a charcoal grill, or heat a gas grill to medium. Place chicken, skin side down, on grill and place a brick or heavy skillet on top of chicken to weigh it down. (This will expose more skin to direct heat, making it crispy; the chicken will also cook faster.) Cook until skin is crispy and golden brown, about 15 minutes.

Using tongs, set brick aside. Turn chicken, cover grill, and cook for 10 more minutes. Continue cooking and turning chicken every 10 minutes, covering grill between turns, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 165F, about 50 minutes total. Transfer to a carving board; let chicken rest for 10-20 minutes. (Resting will make for juicier meat.)

While chicken rests, add more coals to fire if necessary to increase heat to medium, or heat gas grill to medium-high. Season chile, bell pepper, and onion with salt and pepper. Grill (or use a grill basket) over medium heat, turning occasionally, until softened and charred in spots, about 12 minutes. Transfer onion to a medium bowl. Transfer chiles and peppers to a work surface and cut lengthwise into 1" slices. Add to bowl with onion. Add 1/4 cup vinegar to vegetables and toss to coat.

Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Add garlic and cook until soft but not browned, about 4 minutes. Add basil and stir to wilt. Add basil mixture to bowl with onion. Season vegetables to taste with salt and more vinegar, if desired.

Rub cut side of avocados with remaining 1 tablespoon oil, season with salt, and sprinkle with chili powder. Grill, cut side down, until avocado is gently warmed and flesh is golden brown, about 3 minutes. Serve chicken with vegetables and avocados.

I use a cast iron skillet rather than a foil wrapped brick, for ease. A handle is nice. This gets rave reviews in my house

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast