Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crazy or delusional, which is he? page

Moochy is offline Senior Member

Crazy or delusional, which is he?

Primal Fuel
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

LGray is offline Junior Member
    This is the kind of advice my grandma swore by. High starch, sugar as a topping for fruits and "healthy, whole grain" cereals. No red meat. No butter. Olive oil and omega-3 enhanced light margarine.

She died of pancreatic cancer - a disease that has been strongly linked to sugar consumption. Not really a surprise, considering that the pancreas is also the primary organ affected in diabetes - also strongly linked to sugar consumption.

I just don't understand why the idea of eating real food, in forms that you can find in nature, without pre-processing, is so controversial.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I'm laughing. Yep, just a little sugar will make that oatmeal go down easier - and those pancakes!

To be honest, my great grandmother put sugar in her tomato sauce, not a lot, but she did. She lived to be 86. But the rest of that sauce was made from scratch and sat on that back burner on low for daaaaaays before she used it on whatever holiday meal. The meat, mostly pork, cooked in that sauce for days also. She also used cinnamon, which some now say helps even out blood sugar and insulin response.

I know, here's the perfect meal: 365 tomato sauce (which has soy oil, tyvm WhFoods) from a jar with just a touch more sugar added to make it "go down easier" over whole wheat pasta. If you can find a nice processed agribusiness parmesan (Kraft would probably fit the bill), sprinkle that on top. A SAD health dish!
    Last edited by JoanieL; 08-09-2012 at 08:04 PM.

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    I followed mcdougall for most of the 12 years i was vegan. Didn't work for me, whereas paleo is working. 'Nuff said, that probably tells you what I generally think of him. Also, let's keep in mind that he has his name on processed food products that contain sugar. In fact, I heard him speak at a seminar once many years ago, and someone in the audience asked him why his packaged oatmeal contains sugar. And I shit you not, his exact answer was: "No sugar, No sale". And then he abruptly moved onto the next question.
    Last edited by palebluedots; 08-09-2012 at 08:22 PM.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Oh you know, other than killing you, there are really no side effects to sugar. And it's pleasurable! Don't forget the cocaine and LCD, they're pleasurable too!
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Mcdougall has said some pretty stupid things but this video is 100% reasonable. He says the same thing about salt.

A bit of sugar used as a condiment is harmless. Context Context. It's a problem when people are eating lots processed foods loaded with sugar and gulping down 400 calories of soda. But freaking out over 30 or so empty calories is pointless.
    Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 08-10-2012 at 12:19 AM.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Yep, just a little sugar will make that oatmeal go down easier
    God, I hate Oatmeal, and I used to try and make it better so I'd put maple syrup and butter on it. I'd eat the 3 bites that the butter and syrup soaked into and give the rest to the dog. I fucking hate oatmeal. It's the world's second worst food after whole grain bread.

That was the WORST part of CW, eating terrible tasting good foods. Fuck that. If you eat yummy things- steak, eggs, bacon, veggies with some fat... you don't need sugar.

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    i'm so glad i don't follow mcdougall anymore, sigh. When I see him talk now, all I see is arrogance. I should have been clued in by his "no sugar, no sale" comment when we first heard him speak. Although I guess I don't regret having done that, since I did learn a lot along the way. But I'm so glad I don't feel compelled to take him seriously anymore!

I also think another thing to watch out for in diet gurus is when they blame the dieter for cheating if things don't go the way they claim it should go. It's such a racket!

I think that's one of the problems with food gurus, even if they start out earnest and wanting to help people, once they establish their agenda and start making money from it, they rarely will change their message no matter what evidence is staring them in the face.

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    On the plus side he does say how tasteless that pasta and oatmeal really is....lol.
    Last edited by Dirlot; 08-10-2012 at 08:22 AM.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've never seen a McDougall video/talk before... He seems like a wiener to me.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast