Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Craving veggies, but tyring to stay low carb

Hybrid View

heatherdarbs Guest

Craving veggies, but tyring to stay low carb

Alright; I can eat veggies all day long, but my problem is that I'm counting calories simply to make sure I don't eat too many veggies. So that leaves me with proteins, which I have no issue with, and fats...mainly coconut oil, coconut milk (in smoothies) and a handful of nuts every day.

I feel like I'm getting into the paralysis by analysis mode with the nuts, because I keep reading about how too much will either stall weight loss or cause weight gain. Oh...and I hate cooking. I live off of egg whites, lean meats, fish, egg white protein powder and the good fats I mentioned above. However, I miss my veggies! This is my 4th week being primal - it looks like I've lost ~5lbs. Coming from an eating disordered background (anorexia athletica), I feel like this is at a snail’s pace...of course my perception is still a little skewed. I recall losing a lot of weight years ago without trying, simply by consuming a ton of fruits and vegetables…which confuses me a tad more.

Thoughts?

Eat vegetables, they are not the enemy. Definitely eat them rather than nuts. I'm not sure it's possible to eat too many veggies as long as you are also eating adequate protein/fat.

Why are you not eating the egg yolks?

heatherdarbs Guest
    I do eat real eggs, but I've conditioned myself to egg only egg whites from my historical behavior (caloric); so when I eat real eggs, I'm giving in. I don't consume a huge amount of nuts and my weight loss continues, so it doesn't appear to have a negative effect, so far. Also, in terms of veggies, I was trying to adhere to the carb curve in the book, for fat loss. Someone said they were surprised that I counted for veggies, but not for fat. Although, I was counting for the macro nutrient - I can peg calories in a second w/out online tools; not so much the grams of prot/fat/carb.
    Another thing that confuses me a bit is the mention of avoiding the carb/fat combo, together - does that include veggies? I stir fry them in coconut oil; pretty yummy and satisfying. I need to smack the perfectionist out me, that's for sure; I’m starting to annoy myself

I couldn't do a diet that excluded veggies! Why are you cutting them out? There are so many wonderful low cal/carb veggies out there~

Limiting vegetables, for weight loss? That's crazy. Eat all the vegetables you care for. Most of the non starch vegetables barely provide any usable carbohydrates anyway if you really want to stay ultra low carb.

Eat the veg and enjoy.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

I understand how you feel, even though I am just starting out with this diet and very unsure of it right now... coming from a similar background (anorexia) as well so I know it's very easy to fall back into counting, that's why I am not sure if I can continue with this without becoming obsessed with numbers again... but if you can do it, and enjoy the food you do eat then it's great! I would say definitely don't skimp on the veggies, it's easier to eat more of those than nuts, those are very self limiting especially because I personally find it harder to digest if I eat them all day (lots of FIBRE!). I'm gonna say I believe you can do it

Instead of eating egg whites and lean meats, and then adding your fat thru coconut and nuts, eat whole eggs and fatty cuts of meat....and all the veggies you want! Veggies are great for weight loss!
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Quote Originally Posted by tradawg View Post
    Instead of eating egg whites and lean meats, and then adding your fat thru coconut and nuts, eat whole eggs and fatty cuts of meat....and all the veggies you want! Veggies are great for weight loss!
    ^ This.

Why are you killing yourself with egg whites and lean meats? You'll die of choline deficiency and starvation. And didn't you see the Primal Blueprint pyramid? There are two versions. One has meats in the biggest box because that's where the majority of calories come from. The other has vegetables in the biggest box because that's where the most volume of food comes from. Eat your vegetables and put butter and whole egg yolks on them. BUTTER. Not coconut oil. You read somewhere it has magic weight loss properties. That's why you're focused on it. Forget the coconut oil. It's not magic and you need real butter.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

heatherdarbs Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    ^ This.

Why are you killing yourself with egg whites and lean meats? You'll die of choline deficiency and starvation. And didn't you see the Primal Blueprint pyramid? There are two versions. One has meats in the biggest box because that's where the majority of calories come from. The other has vegetables in the biggest box because that's where the most volume of food comes from. Eat your vegetables and put butter and whole egg yolks on them. BUTTER. Not coconut oil. You read somewhere it has magic weight loss properties. That's why you're focused on it. Forget the coconut oil. It's not magic and you need real butter.
    I have done a lot of research on coconut oil, but I use it based on studies for Alzheimer’s, which runs in my family; not weight loss. I’ve been considering it for the past 3 years and only now, started using it and I love the flavor. I don't believe in magic