Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how do herbavores metabolize their fat stores? page 2

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by primal pete View Post
    Yes, exactly - i tried finding out online but there isn't any obvious information on this topic specifically.
    I would assume it's the same or almost the same mechanism as we use. Metabolizing fat is pretty basic to our metabolisms and it's probably basically the same among most terrestrial vertebrates. But I have no science to back that hunch up whatsoever.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

wiltondeportes Guest
    If you're fasting, you're fasting. You will use stored energy either way. It doesn't matter if you're herbavore or carnivore. That's my initial thought on the matter.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    If you're fasting, you're fasting. You will use stored energy either way. It doesn't matter if you're herbavore or carnivore. That's my initial thought on the matter.
    The main difference is that a domestic cow will rarely, if ever, be in a fasting state throughout its life--digestion of grass is a long, slow process and they eat more or less constantly, so their guts are probably never even close to empty.

Of course, their immediate ancestors (only a few thousand years ago) would have seen occasional or even regular lean times--so they would still retain the mechanism for living off stored fat. But I would bet modern, managed domestic cattle are rarely anything but "fed".
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12