Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paleo Fail page

ForensicArtist is offline Junior Member

Paleo Fail

Primal Fuel
    Well, I tried! After 35 years as a lacto-ovo vegetarian, I really tried my best to ease into eating chicken and fish again. I saw the awesome results my husband had, he looks and feels terrific and has lost over 25 pounds. I simply couldn't deny the logic of a Paleo lifestyle.

It's been 3 months since that first taste of chicken, and I've come back full-circle to the reason I became a vegetarian in the first place at 16 years of age:

I simply do not like the taste, texture, smell, or anything about animal flesh. Nope, not even bacon!

But, this certainly been a learning experience, and this is what I'm taking away from it:

• I have cut WAY down on grains, to almost non-existence. I used to have pasta several times a week, now it might be once a month, if that. And it has to be worth it, as in home-made wonderful, not out of a box.
    • I have upped my yogurt consumption, eating full-fat without guilt!
    • I eat more veggies now than I did before! I relied too much on bread and pasta before.
    • I've begun having a whey shake several times a week as my protein "insurance."
    • I've ditched the long cardio sessions, and have started a body weight exercise program. At 51, I can do 15 on-my-toe pushups, but my goal is to do pullups too!
    • I'm going to stay away from the scale, and concentrate on being strong into my 60's, 70's and beyond. I really only have 7 vanity pounds to lose anyway; its conceivable I'll stay the same weight once I get more muscle on me.

I really appreciate all the great advice I got here, and I still plan on sticking around because there's so much wisdom in these parts! Maybe I will gear up and try a bite of chicken some time in the future, but for right now I'll letting myself off the hook.
    Last edited by ForensicArtist; 08-09-2012 at 03:38 PM.
    Ask a Forensic Artist

"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." ~Ronald Reagan

I can't accept this.

Go back and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by The Return of Dado View Post
    I can't accept this.

Go back and try again.
    But just think, I'm leaving more bacon in the world for everyone else!!
    Ask a Forensic Artist

"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn't mind who gets the credit." ~Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by ForensicArtist View Post
    But just think, I'm leaving more bacon in the world for everyone else!!
    I would feel better if you shared the bacon with us.

Quote Originally Posted by The Return of Dado View Post
    I would feel better if you shared the bacon with us.
    You'd have to get it away from him first! He had avocado on bacon last night for dinner!
    Ask a Forensic Artist

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    I cannot imagine EVER not enjoying the taste of meat and the satisfaction it gives me, especially BBQ. It would be a dark and sad world for me without meat.

I would speculate that your mindset against meat is psychological...you reference it as "flesh" as if you are a cannibal...which most people find abhorrent. It's your prior vegetarian bias which you have not come to terms with. Them critters are meant to be devoured with pleasure and gusto...can you say and believe that?

Last edited by Moochy; 08-09-2012 at 03:52 PM.
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    or maybe she doesn't like meat, and is fine being lacto-ovo

which is fine. still seems pretty paleo to me, so maybe you didn't fail at all
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    or maybe she doesn't like meat, and is fine being lacto-ovo

which is fine. still seems pretty paleo to me, so maybe you didn't fail at all
    +1

I see nothing wrong with eating the way you like. You're doing what works for you instead of trying to fit yourself into someone else's mold. That is absolutely a success.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried sashimi? I think it's the least "meaty" type of animal flesh out there....

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    When we started our babies on their first solids, one of the best ones was for 'pate'. It's basically a small amount of cooked and pureed liver mixed with tomato sauce.

You might like that as a topping on a vegetable stir fry.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast