Thread: Working Out With Broken Arm? page

coppertiara is offline Junior Member

Working Out With Broken Arm?

I was planning to start up Mark's primal fitness routine this week, after healing from surgery, but then I fell and broke a bone in my elbow over the weekend. It's just a hairline fracture, no cast or anything, but I have been told to avoid lifting things or falling on it again until it heals. Any thoughts on how to kick off the program and stay motivated when I can't do pushups, pullups, planks or sprints for the next several weeks?

Great question and it's right up my alley.

I had a stress fracture earlier this year (which I documented on this forum, search for it). No cast, but I did have to take it easy. I stopped lifting, stopped playing basketball, and eventually it healed. My fracture was in the shin, I think they call this the fibula, or the femur, I don't know.

Do what doesn't hurt you. I don't think something like simple bodyweight squats will hurt you, maybe some lunges, whatever you gotta do.

The only thing you can't do is, I think obviously, pull-ups and push-ups.

Bottom line is, work around it.

Maybe you can get one of those leather helmets with the hanging chain, and you can lift weight plates with your head.

Get creative.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Like Dado said - spend the time getting really good at squats and lunges. You could also play around with some single arm stuff too.

coppertiara is offline Junior Member
    some great suggestions, thanks Dado and Coach. I appreciate your replies - it helps keep me motivated to know there are others out there to help and have worked thru these issues as well.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertiara View Post
    some great suggestions, thanks Dado and Coach. I appreciate your replies - it helps keep me motivated to know there are others out there to help and have worked thru these issues as well.
    I've come out the other side of my only 2 injuries in much better shape than I started. A dislocated patella tendon in 1996 "enabled" me to get really good at pull ups and push ups. And the rehab following a torn rotator cuff really sorted out my overly-tight shoulders.

Injuries can really suck but it's largely an attitude thing.

LoydAviles is offline Junior Member
    I had a stress fracture earlier this year