Thread: Reply to today's post - Negatives. page

braves10 is offline Junior Member

Reply to today's post - Negatives.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I see the benefit to negatives. But i only really see the benefit in the bench press, but using both hands. I try not to rely on machines at all - free weights or bodyweight is the best way to go. But I don't really see benefit in any other exercise. For instance, how would you really, effectively do negative deadlifts or squats? Why do a negative single leg squat vs. a heavy barbell back squat for pure strength? Any body have any thoughts on this?

I didn't read the post but I'll tell you that, in my understanding, negatives are an advanced technique. Stuart McRobert talks briefly about negatives in Beyond Brawn. Interesting topic but I wouldn't get hot and bothered about it right now.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Negatives are an amazing way to improve pullups, and I'm trying them out for 1-arm pushups as well. (I'm good with my feet spread, but can't with my feet together.)

inesenite is offline Senior Member
    I agree with jfreaksho - pullup/chinup performance can benefit a lot from eccentric training. As a girly weakling (hopefully that's in the past) I am now finally able to do a few chinups - after doing eccentric training for a while. Now will try 30 sec weighted eccentric chinups to improve further. My trainer also trains some of his clients using eccentric leg curls and squats but then it means he is the one lifting the weight for them. Would be difficult to do if his clients were not much weaker than him but from what I have seen they usually are

braves10 is offline Junior Member
    So really you can only do it with pullups, pushups, and maybe bench press (with a partner). Otherwise you would need machines for others if thats the case. Kind of pointless really, unless you are someone who is in the beginning stages of building strength.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by braves10 View Post
    So really you can only do it with pullups, pushups, and maybe bench press (with a partner). Otherwise you would need machines for others if thats the case. Kind of pointless really, unless you are someone who is in the beginning stages of building strength.
    I think it is most useful for building strength to start the real movement. I don't have the strength for 1-arm pushups with my feet together. I'm using both the feet spread method as well as negatives to improve that strength until I can do a couple of real 1-arm pushups, at which point the negative will be part of the motion anyways.

Pistol squats are similar- it takes a degree of muscular control to lower yourself slowly and under control with just one leg, even if you can't push back up. Once you can push back up, the negatives are part of the exercise anyways.