Thread: DIY Adult Jungle Gym? page

Saoirse is offline Senior Member

DIY Adult Jungle Gym?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My husband and I were watching the kids play on the swing set during a recent potluck. Imagine up to 8 kids swinging, climbing across the bar, trying to pullups, etc. It occurred to us how much cooler it would be if we had some sort of jungle gym play structure instead of an old swing set; something with maybe 2-4 crossbeams, vertical and horizontal rope ladders and ropes, trapeze bars, etc. We'd want it strong enough and tall enough that adults could play on it; maybe we'd have to have one level for kids and another level for adults and taller kids. Has anyone seen anything remotely like this? I have no experience with building, and my husband is much too busy for such a project, so i've been searching google for ideas but am only landing on Eagle's Nest/Rainbow-type play structures only for kids.

Camelback Carl is offline Junior Member

I was just googling this very topic

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    My husband and I were watching the kids play on the swing set during a recent potluck. Imagine up to 8 kids swinging, climbing across the bar, trying to pullups, etc. It occurred to us how much cooler it would be if we had some sort of jungle gym play structure instead of an old swing set; something with maybe 2-4 crossbeams, vertical and horizontal rope ladders and ropes, trapeze bars, etc. We'd want it strong enough and tall enough that adults could play on it; maybe we'd have to have one level for kids and another level for adults and taller kids. Has anyone seen anything remotely like this? I have no experience with building, and my husband is much too busy for such a project, so i've been searching google for ideas but am only landing on Eagle's Nest/Rainbow-type play structures only for kids.

I have a home gym downstairs and my daughter loves to play on the stuff while I exercise. So I was thinking about building an outdoor gym that we could both use. I thought for sure instructables.com would have something but no such luck.

unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    I recall having a playground set-up like that when I was younger, but I'm sure it's not sold anymore (some sort of mail order thing back when children were not made of porcelain :P). If I were to go about something like this, I would probably look at treehouse plans and modify it to incorporate the different play structures.

Gary Conway is offline Senior Member
    I just use the playground when it's quiet :-) I tried making some parallel bars last year.When to the DIY store, spent all afternoon cutting up pipes and piecing them together. They held my weight for a good quarter second before snapping. I think that's my craftsman career over and done with.

PrimalMama is online now Senior Member
    We just use the playground down the street... get a lot of strange looks sometimes (usually when it's just after I get home from work and hot or nice outside)... my boyfriend gets some suspicious stares when he goes alone, but when people see he's just there doing his own thing and acting like a big kid, it's not a problem.

otoh... if a playground isn't an option for you, and/or you just want to have something in your backyard... look into gymnastics and challenge course equipment... it's a LOT of fun to play in/on/with all the bars, rings, beams, specialty skill-learning equipment, etc. (I was the same height I am now when I was a gymnast, and I wasn't the tallest person on the team)... that could get pretty expensive pretty quick though.

Maybe look for playground equipment for special needs peeps (often mental ages are in the single digits well into adulthood, which makes me think they might make "playground" equipment for them)... just spouting ideas here, haven't looked on google...

I'm really interested in the Om Gym , which I saw at a friends' house... but like I said, I'm a former gymnast, so aerialist stuff looks AWESOME to me.

You could probably build something totally kick-ass with some proper planning

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    My brother and I built a backyard pull-up bar at his home in Brooklyn. It's not quite as involved as what you are looking to do but the post linked above should give you a pretty good idea of what would be involved.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com