Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question re: reps and frequency. page

arewolfe is offline Junior Member

Question re: reps and frequency.

Primal Fuel
    I am an avid hiker/skier, so I've been using dumbells and doing pushups to keep my upper body from falling behind. My question is about frequency of lifting: I do overheard presses followed directly by curls. I do three sets of 10 on each of those exercises all in a row (six sets back to back without putting the dumbells down). So during the first sets I don't feel much of a burn, but by the end of the third sets I am pretty rocked and my heart rate is way up and I feel pretty maxed out.

The weird thing is, I'm never sore the next day in my shoulders or biceps. Normally I do this exercise every other day, or every third day. But I'm wondering if it's OK to just do it every day since I'm not sore the next day? Or should I look at doing more weight and less reps? I have no experience with weight training so any advice is welcome.

Edit: I should mention that when I get to the third set of presses, I usually cannot make it to 10 reps.
    Last edited by arewolfe; 08-09-2012 at 07:45 AM.

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    I follow a HIT program for what you are looking for.

VIDEOS

http://www.bodybyscience.net/home.html/
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

jakey is offline Senior Member
    if you want to feel sore, you need to use a heavier weight and train more intensely, with more time off too. you're likely taxing your heart quite a bit, and working a good build up of lactic acid, but as a strength training program, this is way, way defficient.

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    If you want to keep your upperbody in line with your lowerbody....

Pullups.

And then pushups, or press. You'll get much more bang from Pullups than anything else.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

arewolfe is offline Junior Member
    Thanks. I'll look into pull-up bars.

I'm not looking to do a strength training program, I just want to keep my upper body stimulated.

Sounds like you're wasting your time, you gotta go heavy and push yourself out of the comfort zone. You're just spinning your wheels if you're doing the same # over and over and over!!!!!! Add weight to the bar every time!!!!

LoydAviles is offline Junior Member
    you need to use a heavier weight and train more intensely

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Add weight every time. Read about how Stronglifts or Starting Strength is structured- there's a lot to be said for the simplicity and effectiveness of those programs. Essentially, pick a few important lifts, do them 3 times a week, and add weight every time, unless you fail to complete your sets and reps the previous time.

You can do similar things with weighted pullups or chins, curls, whatever exercise you feel is important.

Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    Add weight every time. Read about how Stronglifts or Starting Strength is structured- there's a lot to be said for the simplicity and effectiveness of those programs. Essentially, pick a few important lifts, do them 3 times a week, and add weight every time, unless you fail to complete your sets and reps the previous time.

You can do similar things with weighted pullups or chins, curls, whatever exercise you feel is important.
    Yea, absolutely.

And I have to tell you, you might have this thought in your head that adding muscle will "slow you down" in your cycling or whatever. This is not true. I can't think of any sport where adding strength and muscle would impede you, it can only help. Of course we're not talking about becoming one of those extreme lifters, but within reason you have nothing to fear.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just want to add to the chorus that doing the same thing every time is not going to do anything for your fitness. You can probably maintain your current strength level doing that just once a week or even less. Zero point in doing it every day,and zero point in trying to get sore or using that as a gauge of your workout. Your workout is a success if you can lift more the next time.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast