Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating Raw Meat page

Mr. PK is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

I am interested in getting into eating raw meat seeing as how this would be very primal.

Has anybody done this?

Can you share any experience or any suggestions?

all comments welcome

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member

I've eaten raw fish (and unequivocally prefer it to cooked fish) and raw beef (only once, and I want to more frequently, but I don't have a farm-fresh source at the moment. I'm told that freezing meat before consumption keeps parasites from being an issue, but I will still admit to a concern about salmonella/e. coli and the like.

Anybody more experienced with raw meat consumption care to weigh in?

Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member

I know a lot of raw meat dishes are served with natural antibiotic substances. Pickled ginger with sushi, garlic with carpaccio, that kind of thing.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Raw meat is fantastic. I'm a big fan and eat it when I get the chance.

Freezing does help eliminate possible parasites. 90 days is the recommended time, especially for species known to carry parasites.

I eat raw beef, boar and deer occasionally. I have had kangaroo raw once. My favorite is venison, but I don't get it very often. It was delicious with wheat-free tamari. Very tender. You barely have to chew.

When going raw, you'll want very lean cuts of meat. Fat and other tissue is tough and difficult to get through when raw.

I only eat local, pastured meat, so occasional raw consumption seems pretty safe. Venison is the only wild game I consume raw at this point. My other wild meats tend to carry a risk of rabies, so must be cooked completely, unfortunately. I wouldn't eat grocery store meat raw.

Also- +1 on the garlic. It's an anti-biotic. It never hurts to have a little, just in case.

lesliek is offline Member

What's the benefit to eating raw? Don't you absorb more nutrients when it's cooked?

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member

For the most part, you don't make a great many more nutrients available in meat when you cook it, and you don't destroy the few heat labile nutrients or form any potentially bad compounds like AGEs.

That said, I think it's actually the primal (and socially transgressive) appeal of EATING RAW MEAT that gets me. The texture is nice, and the flavor is completely different from cooked meat.

Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

TaydaTot is offline Junior Member

I would argue it is more primal to eat cooked meat. We have been cooking meat for over 250,000 years. Cooked meat is very much a reason why our species is what it is today. And although cooking doesn't really change the nutritional profile of meat, it does make it easier to digest (less energy used for digestion, more energy for cognitive functions).

Just one resource:

http://www.beyondveg.com/nicholson-w...erview2c.shtml

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I eat meat raw simply because I like the taste and texture of it. It's a nice change from the ordinary. There's something about eating a food in its raw state that is appealing to me, be it meat or produce. It's just... refreshing.

I was putting some boar bacon and ground beef in the crockpot, and decided to give the raw bacon a try. OMG, yum! So soft and chewy and bacony. I had to remind myself I needed it for my recipe and not eat it all right then. :P

TaydaTot is offline Junior Member

If you are into the taste and texture of raw meat then fine - I like a raw steak every once and a while too. But if you are thinking about getting into eating raw meat to fulfill a notion of replicating primal behavior I think it is stupid.

Radio program on the theory that cooked meat is what made us human:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=112334465

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member

Well, I sure like it raw, assuming it's local, herbivorous, grassfed, and has sat in my freezer for several months.

I like a sort of intermediate phase, where the outside is quickly seared, but the inside is totally raw but hot. Lamb or beef, of course, not poultry.

Ground meat is very easy to eat raw, but it's all the more important that it was frozen as soon as it was ground, and then cooked before it has really thawed. Ground meat rots very quickly.

A little green Tabasco sauce or mustard is good with it.

Raw fat doesn't seem that hard to chew. It's pretty good if it's fairly warm. You chew what you can get, and then spit out whatever wouldn't chew.

For tough meat, on the other hand, I like slow cooking for hours and hours so that the gristle turns to delicious gel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast