Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eating Raw Meat page 2

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

P.S. On the "what made us human" front -- I recently saw something on TV (sorry, I don't remember what -- NOVA?) which said that someone rooting through the human genome found a defective base-pair -- something was missing its partner. (Wish I knew enough to be able to say that right.) And that is a defect, and other such defects have been traced to genetic abnormalities.

So they checked other people at that place in the DNA, and the whole human race has that defect! They puzzled out what it was. We lack a protein, because of that defect, which should make our jaws many times stronger than they are. Other primates have strong jaws, ours are sort of wimpy in comparison.

Then they figured out that if our jaws were strong like the other primates, the huge muscle attachments would keep our brain cases (sutures) from expanding as our brains grew. (Hope I said that right ...) So, this "defect" was what allowed us to have brains many times the volume of other primates.

Strange world, isn't it?

hazyjane is offline Senior Member

I haven't eaten much raw meat but I know a lot of people who do -raw paleo and "Primal Diet" (different than Primal Blueprint- it's a raw meat diet).

These people do it because they are recovering from illness and/or find raw meat easier on their systems/easier to digest/less autoimmune-provoking.

TaydaTot is offline Junior Member

hazyjane, I don't understand when you say they eat raw meat because it is easier to digest. How is eating meat that has not first been processed through cooking 'easier' to digest?

Cooking the meat can toughen the proteins (unless, of course you're making yummy slow-cooked dishes:-) It also makes them less bioavailable, according to some sources (Max Planck Institute).

A lot of these people are into raw food in general. They believe in the "Enzyme Theory" (which is somewhat dubious) that raw foods require less digestive enzymes to break down because they still have their own enzymes intact.

As far as dealing with illness, one friend of mine has an autoimmune disorder and cooked meat makes her sick, but she thrives on raw meat.

NoSaladWithoutMeat is offline Senior Member

I've been on a raw diet which required eating a lot of fruit and only raw protein. It felt kinda like being a vegetarian with some amounts of sashimi because I couldn't eat raw meat. The diet was based on the enzyme theory and they were just as strict about frozen protein as much as they were about cooked protein.

It was a great diet but I didn't get enough protein and fat from eating plants (and sashimi is expensive)...

It did do wonders for my skin, weight and even cellulite... but I lost muscle and eating like that in the long term is impossible.

Beef sashimi and steak tartar are great dishes, I'm just not confident enough to try them on my own with conventional meat. If there was a way I'd consider going raw as well!

I also lost a lot of muscle doing a raw diet for 5 months- I couldn't utilize the plant protein, no matter how much I consumed, and I didn't do a lot of sashimi. I tried raw eggs in my smoothies, but they invariably made me feel queasy about 15 min. later.

It's funny- freezing meat doesn't deactivate much of the enzyme activity. A lot of cultures consume frozen meat. There used to be arguments about that on the raw food forum, and also arguments about things like date palms, in the desert where temps reach 120 (which would technically kill all the enzymes in the fresh dates if the theory were completely true;-)

Yes- I'd like to try tartare and kibbeh (and I might if I get my own meat grinder and use local, grass-fed:-)

I used to think that raw meat was unappealing, but I've been tempted to eat some of my middle eastern lamb meatball mixture raw! It really smelled good. And I do just barely sear certain cuts of beef.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12