Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: body weigh deadlifts? page 4

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by BarbeyGirl View Post
    Believe what you like. I see no point in arguing with people who care more about who is right than what is true.
    Haha, I agree. I'm the type of person that cares more about who is right.

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BarbeyGirl View Post
    One-legged Romanian deadlifts! Awesome. Do them standing on a pillow, or with dumbbells, or both, for added difficulty.
    Similar EMG Activities of Lower Limbs be... [J Strength Cond Res. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Study shows unstable surface does nothing for lower body work...
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Deadlifts should be one of the more simple exercises to come up with weight for. Since it is not a dynamic move the shape of the weight is less important. As long as you can grip it and lift it while maintaining form you should be good to go.

Duffle bag full of sand or rocks
    Small (or large!) child
    A log (maybe wrap a couple straps around it to make handles)
    Your suitcase
    Water jugs
    Spare tire off the car

PriFrance is offline Member
    thanks for all the messages, i just use a big pile of rocks for most lifts and have been doing lunges, one leg squats and one leg romanian lifts and it has been plenty

Quote Originally Posted by Noctiluca View Post
    Deadlifts should be one of the more simple exercises to come up with weight for. Since it is not a dynamic move the shape of the weight is less important. As long as you can grip it and lift it while maintaining form you should be good to go.

Duffle bag full of sand or rocks
    Small (or large!) child
    A log (maybe wrap a couple straps around it to make handles)
    Your suitcase
    Water jugs
    Spare tire off the car
    If you lift children, only lift children you do not like, so that if you will drop them it will not be a great loss.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Body weight deadlifts? Come on. Save up your allowance and buy some friggin' weights.

And Barbie, lifting something on an unstable surface is just plain dumb. But, I look forward to seeing pictures at the Darwin award ceremony.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    As others have said, there is no real "substitute" for a weighted deadlift, however you can build strong, functionally fit legs with just your bodyweight. For the last few years pistol squats, shrimp squats, back bridges and yes - one legged bodyweight deadlifts - have made up the bulk of my lower body strength training and I've been pleased with the results. The key to maximizing these types of bodyweight movements is to do them slowly and with control through the whole range of motion.

Some people prefer to lift weights and I respect that - weight training is a fantastic way to build strength - but those of us who prefer bodyweight training can still get very strong.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Unstable surface + barbells = pointless idiocy.
    Unstable surface + just your bodyweight = whatever floats your boat, sure, why not. But - why, again?
    If you don't think that strength gained from a traditional deadlift is useful on, say, a moving boat, then you haven't really weight trained. If training effects were that specific, then barbell programs would never do anyone any good. And they obviously do.
    I've never seen a single person go from nasty to buff on a bosu-ball based program.

OP, maybe you can get a truck axle or a transmission at a wrecking yard and start messing with that?
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    I usually try to deadlift a fallen tree that is immovable. This is an isometric excercise

PriFrance is offline Member
    I live in Nepal, they aren't exactly widely available

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast