Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: At a $130,000 loss... what to do from here

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,228

    At a $130,000 loss... what to do from here

    Hello,

    I need some advice from my primal peers. This has been a great deal of stress for me and I have cried many tears over this and I don't know who to turn to so thank you in advance for taking the time to read and give any advice you might have.

    I have a Bachelor's degree in nutrition and it's going to cost me $130,000 once I pay it off in 30 or so years. It means nothing... I can't get a job in the field without being a Registered Dietitian and even if I could it wouldn't be a primal job, right?

    I've been thinking hard about getting my Master's and becoming a Registered Dietitian. It would mean more debt, but at this point so what...at least it would mean something. I could get a job... maybe something in sports nutrition where it would be along the lines of primal... high in protein, moderate healthy fats, I could promote sweet potatoes and white right instead of whole grains. Anyways, somehow I might be able to help make a difference in the field by promoting this way of eating. I could have my own practice someday and have the credentials to promote this way of eating.

    The problem is that it's a full-time program and then a full-time internship and I am a single girl in my late thirties with lots of bills and debt and have to work full time... no choice for me. I also need to find a job that pays me more than what I am making now.

    So, the other thing I am looking at is Bauman College. The reason I am considering it is because of Diane Sanfilippo of Balanced Bites (Balanced Bites | Holistic & Paleo Nutrition Education | Paleo Nutritionist, Nutrition Coach, CrossFit Nutrition, Food Allergy, Allergies, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, IBS, IBD) went to this college and she seems to be very successful.
    Bauman College - Nutrition Consultant | programs.

    What would you do or what you would advise your family member to do?

    Thanks for reading!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    342
    First, I am curious how a Bachelor's degree cost $130K? Yikes!

    Second, what were your initial plans when you set out to get your degree? Surely you've given some thought to what you could do with the degree you already have? I'm guessing from the amount of debt incurred that it's a degree from a prestigious university?

    Third, my advice to you would be to do some resume building before going into more debt to get a masters. You never know, you might even be able to get an employer to cover your tuition for a masters. As for your concerns regarding your desire to spread the primal way, you can surely do that in whatever capacity you have at your job. Don't need a masters to do that.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,228
    Haha... a prestigious university?! No... my degree is from Kaplan University online and it cost me $60,000, but with interest over the next 30 years it will cost me $130,000... a complete rip off that is painful to think about. They misled me to believe I could become a Registered Dietitian when I started there in 2007 and I'm not the only one. I should have done my own research, but since they are "accredited" I assumed it was true. They are an accredited college, but they are not an ADA approved school. I thought I would become an RD and help children and adults with diabetes... become a diabetes educator.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Temecula, CA
    Posts
    889
    Quote Originally Posted by palebluedots View Post
    First, I am curious how a Bachelor's degree cost $130K? Yikes!

    Second, what were your initial plans when you set out to get your degree? Surely you've given some thought to what you could do with the degree you already have? I'm guessing from the amount of debt incurred that it's a degree from a prestigious university?

    Third, my advice to you would be to do some resume building before going into more debt to get a masters. You never know, you might even be able to get an employer to cover your tuition for a masters. As for your concerns regarding your desire to spread the primal way, you can surely do that in whatever capacity you have at your job. Don't need a masters to do that.
    Have you priced college lately? 60 grand is pretty modest for 4 years. Yes, you can spend less but if you go away to any "known" university the cost is usually between 20 and 30 grand a year (including all expenses). My boss's son goes to UCLA and lives on campus. That's what he shells out and he's a resident of CA. Out of state cost... bleh.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    342
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post
    Have you priced college lately? 60 grand is pretty modest for 4 years. Yes, you can spend less but if you go away to any "known" university the cost is usually between 20 and 30 grand a year (including all expenses). My boss's son goes to UCLA and lives on campus. That's what he shells out and he's a resident of CA. Out of state cost... bleh.
    Yes, of course I have some idea of what college costs, I have a degree from a reputable university myself and am quite capable of doing math. ;-) You might also note that I asked how a degree costs $130K, not $60K, because that was not made clear in the original post.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Temecula, CA
    Posts
    889
    Quote Originally Posted by palebluedots View Post
    Yes, of course I have some idea of what college costs, I have a degree from a reputable university myself and am quite capable of doing math. ;-) You might also note that I asked how a degree costs $130K, not $60K, because that was not made clear in the original post.
    Yeah, my point was even @ $130 grand, this amount isn't abnormal for the actual cost (not the cost with interest amortized over 30 years).

    And I wasn't implying you couldn't do the math
    Last edited by Fernaldo; 08-09-2012 at 08:29 AM.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    770
    My father got his Masters in Psychology and is now working on his Doctorate, and he did it all online (not the internship part of course). He's currently doing his internship hours, I could ask him about his schedule if you like and see how he fits it in, because he works full time as well. Find a good, accredited online school and take the courses to get your Masters. The internship I'm sure you can find a way to make it work. If my dad can do it, anyone can.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    342
    Wow, yeah, that's a really tough pill to swallow. So if you went for your masters, you wouldn't get it from them, right? And you can still use your degree to find employment in the field, even if they're not accredited. There really are a lot of employers that will pay for tuition, so if you find something in your field, there is always hope.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    342
    and really, aside from what my advice would be, what is it you really want to do? If being an RD is your only goal, then make a plan to accomplish it. I could be wrong, but it feels like there's a certain frantic-ness to your post, and it feels maybe like you're afraid to get out & explore what you can do with the degree you already have? But, i could be wrong. It might be a good idea to make an honest effort to find a higher paying job with the degree you do have, and then make plans based on what happens with that.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    7,836
    I suggest trying to get some form of government job or any sort of gig that might help you get onto some kind of specialized program so that you can do one of those "capping" programs for student loans. You know, like you only have to pay what you can for 10 years or something. They do exist -- just do your research.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •