Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At a $130,000 loss... what to do from here page

healthy11 is offline Senior Member

At a $130,000 loss... what to do from here

Shop Now
    Hello,

I need some advice from my primal peers. This has been a great deal of stress for me and I have cried many tears over this and I don't know who to turn to so thank you in advance for taking the time to read and give any advice you might have.

I have a Bachelor's degree in nutrition and it's going to cost me $130,000 once I pay it off in 30 or so years. It means nothing... I can't get a job in the field without being a Registered Dietitian and even if I could it wouldn't be a primal job, right?

I've been thinking hard about getting my Master's and becoming a Registered Dietitian. It would mean more debt, but at this point so what...at least it would mean something. I could get a job... maybe something in sports nutrition where it would be along the lines of primal... high in protein, moderate healthy fats, I could promote sweet potatoes and white right instead of whole grains. Anyways, somehow I might be able to help make a difference in the field by promoting this way of eating. I could have my own practice someday and have the credentials to promote this way of eating.

The problem is that it's a full-time program and then a full-time internship and I am a single girl in my late thirties with lots of bills and debt and have to work full time... no choice for me. I also need to find a job that pays me more than what I am making now.

So, the other thing I am looking at is Bauman College. The reason I am considering it is because of Diane Sanfilippo of Balanced Bites (Balanced Bites | Holistic & Paleo Nutrition Education | Paleo Nutritionist, Nutrition Coach, CrossFit Nutrition, Food Allergy, Allergies, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, IBS, IBD) went to this college and she seems to be very successful.
    Bauman College - Nutrition Consultant | programs.

What would you do or what you would advise your family member to do?

Thanks for reading!

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    First, I am curious how a Bachelor's degree cost $130K? Yikes!

Second, what were your initial plans when you set out to get your degree? Surely you've given some thought to what you could do with the degree you already have? I'm guessing from the amount of debt incurred that it's a degree from a prestigious university?

Third, my advice to you would be to do some resume building before going into more debt to get a masters. You never know, you might even be able to get an employer to cover your tuition for a masters. As for your concerns regarding your desire to spread the primal way, you can surely do that in whatever capacity you have at your job. Don't need a masters to do that.

Haha... a prestigious university?! No... my degree is from Kaplan University online and it cost me $60,000, but with interest over the next 30 years it will cost me $130,000... a complete rip off that is painful to think about. They misled me to believe I could become a Registered Dietitian when I started there in 2007 and I'm not the only one. I should have done my own research, but since they are "accredited" I assumed it was true. They are an accredited college, but they are not an ADA approved school. I thought I would become an RD and help children and adults with diabetes... become a diabetes educator.

Wow, yeah, that's a really tough pill to swallow. So if you went for your masters, you wouldn't get it from them, right? And you can still use your degree to find employment in the field, even if they're not accredited. There really are a lot of employers that will pay for tuition, so if you find something in your field, there is always hope.

and really, aside from what my advice would be, what is it you really want to do? If being an RD is your only goal, then make a plan to accomplish it. I could be wrong, but it feels like there's a certain frantic-ness to your post, and it feels maybe like you're afraid to get out & explore what you can do with the degree you already have? But, i could be wrong. It might be a good idea to make an honest effort to find a higher paying job with the degree you do have, and then make plans based on what happens with that.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I suggest trying to get some form of government job or any sort of gig that might help you get onto some kind of specialized program so that you can do one of those "capping" programs for student loans. You know, like you only have to pay what you can for 10 years or something. They do exist -- just do your research.

Thank you guys! I have tried looking for jobs in nutrition and everything I find requires you to be an RD (at least anything worthwhile and decent pay). What I really want to do palebluedots is help people overcome illness by helping them change there diet and lifestyle.

A government job might be a good idea, zoebird. I will look into capping programs. Right now I'm paying based on income and that lowered my payment quite a bit. I think after 30 years the rest is forgiven. Maybe there is something else I can do with capping.

Thanks again!

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    How successful have you been with Primal? I ask this because I might be tempted to go out on my own if I were you and do weight loss counseling, especially with your degree (that no one will recognize as being "deficient"). Set up shop and use your knowledge to help people get healthy.

I'd take a hard look at cost benefit before further education. Just how well paying are the jobs, and just how many are there, and if needed could you go stomach having to educate people on CW?

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You might need the masters to be employed but you don't need anything to consult. You might be able to start low, really low, like work for a non-profit helping the developmentally disabled learn work and living skills. You may want to consider getting skills or education from a community college (don't laugh there are lots of post baccalaureate people there) that move you toward where you want to go. In other words, take an alternate path toward your goal. How do you suppose this women's studies major ended up a web programmer with only half a dozen community college courses here and there?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by palebluedots View Post
    First, I am curious how a Bachelor's degree cost $130K? Yikes!

Second, what were your initial plans when you set out to get your degree? Surely you've given some thought to what you could do with the degree you already have? I'm guessing from the amount of debt incurred that it's a degree from a prestigious university?

Third, my advice to you would be to do some resume building before going into more debt to get a masters. You never know, you might even be able to get an employer to cover your tuition for a masters. As for your concerns regarding your desire to spread the primal way, you can surely do that in whatever capacity you have at your job. Don't need a masters to do that.
    Have you priced college lately? 60 grand is pretty modest for 4 years. Yes, you can spend less but if you go away to any "known" university the cost is usually between 20 and 30 grand a year (including all expenses). My boss's son goes to UCLA and lives on campus. That's what he shells out and he's a resident of CA. Out of state cost... bleh.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast