Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: At a $130,000 loss... what to do from here page 2

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post
    Have you priced college lately? 60 grand is pretty modest for 4 years. Yes, you can spend less but if you go away to any "known" university the cost is usually between 20 and 30 grand a year (including all expenses). My boss's son goes to UCLA and lives on campus. That's what he shells out and he's a resident of CA. Out of state cost... bleh.
    Yes, of course I have some idea of what college costs, I have a degree from a reputable university myself and am quite capable of doing math. ;-) You might also note that I asked how a degree costs $130K, not $60K, because that was not made clear in the original post.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You know, you start paying these things off thinking it's going to cost you $60K and you're going to make these same payments for all the rest of your next 30 years. But if you can keep from acquiring more debt, what will happen is you'll progress in your career, make more money, be able to apply more money to paying off your loan, until you are one day making double or triple payments and then one day you'll see that the loan is small enough to write a check for the whole remaining balance. You're not going to have to pay $130K and thinking that you are sets you up for that "oh well, I'm so far in, what's a little more debt?" mentality that gets a lot of people into deeper trouble.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    My father got his Masters in Psychology and is now working on his Doctorate, and he did it all online (not the internship part of course). He's currently doing his internship hours, I could ask him about his schedule if you like and see how he fits it in, because he works full time as well. Find a good, accredited online school and take the courses to get your Masters. The internship I'm sure you can find a way to make it work. If my dad can do it, anyone can.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by palebluedots View Post
    Yes, of course I have some idea of what college costs, I have a degree from a reputable university myself and am quite capable of doing math. ;-) You might also note that I asked how a degree costs $130K, not $60K, because that was not made clear in the original post.
    Yeah, my point was even @ $130 grand, this amount isn't abnormal for the actual cost (not the cost with interest amortized over 30 years).

And I wasn't implying you couldn't do the math
    Last edited by Fernaldo; 08-09-2012 at 09:29 AM.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

jennf is offline Senior Member
    If you really want to get your Masters, there are a few other ways to do it besides going as a full-time student and paying full tuition. Do you know where you want to go to school? See if you can get a job there! Lots of universities offer free tuition to their employees. Yes, it will take a while when you have to juggle work and school (I know, I'm working toward a Masters in Nutrition myself at the university where I work). Another option would be a research/teaching assistantship. They often pay your tuition and fees and you get a modest paycheck besides.

Another possibility would be a second bachelors. I don't know if it's possible with where you got your first, but you may be able to transfer in a bunch of your credits and just finish up the credits you need at an ADA accredited school and go on to get your RD.

And yes, you could go to Bauman College if you feel that's the right move for you. I was looking into it myself, but unfortunately the ADA is working hard to pass legislation in the state where I want to live that will make it illegal to counsel in nutrition without an RD designation (which is ridiculous, but something I need to prepare for).

I have the same ultimate goal as you and for me it's going to be a long road. I just turned 38 and my goal is to be an RD by 45. Seems like forever, but I can still have a 20 year career even starting that late! I wish you luck

scarabnight is offline Member
    Like Jennf said, I would look into jobs at any universities near you. I work full time at a University and they give me (and all of their regular employees) 2 free classes a semester. I have a decent amount of student loans from my first bachelors but while you are taking classes, they aren't in repayment so it gives a nice chance to be able to save up without dealing with the interest accumulating. I am 25 but I am basically starting over in a different field and have a good 5+ years of schooling left. The wonderful thing though is that you don't have to be in a related field to get the waivers... I'm going for Anthropology and I work with accreditation.... something to look into.... University jobs are sweet...

Hope this helps
    ~Kelly

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks"
    -John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    You might need the masters to be employed but you don't need anything to consult. You might be able to start low, really low, like work for a non-profit helping the developmentally disabled learn work and living skills. You may want to consider getting skills or education from a community college (don't laugh there are lots of post baccalaureate people there) that move you toward where you want to go. In other words, take an alternate path toward your goal. How do you suppose this women's studies major ended up a web programmer with only half a dozen community college courses here and there?
    This. Maybe there are some nutrition-related certificate programs that you will consider. I wouldn't dig a deeper hole with another degree.

mom5booklover is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    How successful have you been with Primal? I ask this because I might be tempted to go out on my own if I were you and do weight loss counseling, especially with your degree (that no one will recognize as being "deficient"). Set up shop and use your knowledge to help people get healthy.

I'd take a hard look at cost benefit before further education. Just how well paying are the jobs, and just how many are there, and if needed could you go stomach having to educate people on CW?
    +1
    My thoughts exactly. Start off on your own or find someone willing to partner up and do the fitness portion. Begin helping people start a primal life. That may be the only way you could make enough money to pay that amount off in a timely manner. Maybe once you get going as an entrepeneur then go back and get your masters degree. Nutritionists (Even RD's)don't make enough money to pay for what you would owe in the end. That is the biggest mistake most people make when choosing to become things like teachers, nurses, and nutritionists (though all very great career choices). The amount of money you will pay in the end probably won't even equal 5 years salary for any of those careers. It is a hard pill to swallow. Check out some sites like Curves, Weight Watchers, and Butterfly Life Fitness Franchise websites.
    Maybe a helpful link Weight Loss Franchises
    Think Primal Diet Franchise The possiblities are endless if you can get the funding somehow to start out.

In the meantime if you haven't tried to get a job with your bachalors degree then I would start there. You would be surprised how many companies don't give a crap what your degree is in as long as you have one.
    F/37yr/5' 5"
    SW: 154 March 2011
    CW: 140 July to Oct 2011
    PB: 145 gained 5lbs in first 4 months March to July 2012
    With a combo of PB and IF-ing 5 days a week (1 x 1200 calorie meal per day) I have lost 15 lbs PB/IF = 130 lbs July 2012 to current
    GW: 120
    Ultimate Goals ar to be: Happy/ Fit/ Energetic/ Feel great/ Balanced/ cure my thyroid and adrenals

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jennf View Post
    And yes, you could go to Bauman College if you feel that's the right move for you. I was looking into it myself, but unfortunately the ADA is working hard to pass legislation in the state where I want to live that will make it illegal to counsel in nutrition without an RD designation (which is ridiculous, but something I need to prepare for).
    It worries me that this may be the case in all states eventually. I may need to look into university jobs. I am going to have to re-locate, which is okay.

So, you are working full-time and going to school part-time to become an RD? Are you doing a coordinated program or is that always full-time? How will your internship work and are internships full-time? What school do you work at and attend if you don't mind me asking?

When you mention still having a 20 year career ahead of you once you become an RD that is exactly my thought!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12