Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First day - going crazy - help with carbs please? page

the_puma is offline Junior Member

Question First day - going crazy - help with carbs please?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ok so I know this may be repeating a thread somewhere down the road but I haven't seen the exact same thing so perhaps you can still help me out.

So background: I've been doing Crossfit for almost 3 years now, and have gone from very unhealthy skinny to fit and healthier. I have chronic health issues, no idea where they're from and of course doctors are no help... stomach issues too, but they're not the point of my thread.

My question is this: I just started my first day on primal (I've tried before and did not succeed, I love my gluten-free cereal once a day) and trying to get in the 50-100g of carbs zone. This is shaky ground for me since I've had an eating disorder since I was 16 but I am stable now at approximately 126 lbs (at 5'5" and I'm 28). Lately I have noticed that my weight is very sneakily climbing up despite working out 3-4 times a week (and we don't just do mainsite-like workouts, we also do crossfit football drills and various modifications on the crossfit model). So I want to see what I can get from this diet if I really try.

I'm really struggling though, because despite the fact that I already was eating pretty clean (no grains except rice once a week or so, cheat days are usually sat-sun and I rarely have anything worse than a cone of gelato, I ate cereal once a day otherwise no carby things, fruit in moderation 1-3 times a day and veggies), even with trying to limit carbs I ended up with almost 90g today!

It's discouraging because all I had for carbs was a protein shake with coconut milk, half a banana and almond butter (and whey protein), 2 small pieces of chocolate (cheat!), 1/2 c. of raspberries and a kids' yogurt cup (tiny). The rest came from nuts, cucumbers, etc. Otherwise it was protein and fats (chicken, avocado).

How do people do this?!

I know Mark says count total carbs... if it were net carbs it would be easier but it's not so I'm not sure how you can do it. Does it get easier? I would get that it's hard after eating junk all the time but I wasn't! I had barely any added sugar other than yogurts and a couple of pieces of chocolate and it should not be that much of a torture going totally primal (or 90% considering the chocolate...).

Please help!

And thanks for reading my rant, if you did!

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_puma View Post
    Ok so I know this may be repeating a thread somewhere down the road but I haven't seen the exact same thing so perhaps you can still help me out.

So background: I've been doing Crossfit for almost 3 years now, and have gone from very unhealthy skinny to fit and healthier. I have chronic health issues, no idea where they're from and of course doctors are no help... stomach issues too, but they're not the point of my thread.

My question is this: I just started my first day on primal (I've tried before and did not succeed, I love my gluten-free cereal once a day) and trying to get in the 50-100g of carbs zone. This is shaky ground for me since I've had an eating disorder since I was 16 but I am stable now at approximately 126 lbs (at 5'5" and I'm 28). Lately I have noticed that my weight is very sneakily climbing up despite working out 3-4 times a week (and we don't just do mainsite-like workouts, we also do crossfit football drills and various modifications on the crossfit model). So I want to see what I can get from this diet if I really try.

I'm really struggling though, because despite the fact that I already was eating pretty clean (no grains except rice once a week or so, cheat days are usually sat-sun and I rarely have anything worse than a cone of gelato, I ate cereal once a day otherwise no carby things, fruit in moderation 1-3 times a day and veggies), even with trying to limit carbs I ended up with almost 90g today!

It's discouraging because all I had for carbs was a protein shake with coconut milk, half a banana and almond butter (and whey protein), 2 small pieces of chocolate (cheat!), 1/2 c. of raspberries and a kids' yogurt cup (tiny). The rest came from nuts, cucumbers, etc. Otherwise it was protein and fats (chicken, avocado).

How do people do this?!

I know Mark says count total carbs... if it were net carbs it would be easier but it's not so I'm not sure how you can do it. Does it get easier? I would get that it's hard after eating junk all the time but I wasn't! I had barely any added sugar other than yogurts and a couple of pieces of chocolate and it should not be that much of a torture going totally primal (or 90% considering the chocolate...).

Please help!

And thanks for reading my rant, if you did!
    Your weight seems fine for your height.
    Ditch the cereal and eat a tonne of veg
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    First, 90 gms of carbs is within the range for most people to lose weight. So, you're not over carbing by "averages."

If you want to go lower in carbs to see where you lose weight, look at the cereal box. Gluten free doesn't necessarily mean carb free. I also don't know what a kid's yogurt cup is, but read that label also; there is a chance that if it's aimed at kids, it has added sugar (to get the next generation hooked dontcha know?)

Also, while raspberries will give you about 3.4 grams of carbs per ounce, a banana will give you 6.5 carbs per ounce, so not all fruits are equal.

And chocolate, well, it's candy. It might be primally approved, but it's still candy. I also don't know what you're putting on your cereal, but sometimes lower fat products have more carbs than their full fat origins.

Those are places to look for your carbs, if 90 doesn't work for you.

Don't get discouraged on your first day. You'll figure it out.

denise is offline Senior Member
    first day IS a bit early to get discouraged?? Some good advice above. Also agree that your weight for height (you are the same height as me and a bit below my goal weight) seems low to be looking for weight loss (and you mention an "active" eating disorder so I get nervous). Are you sure that your not just looking for another way to get to a weight lower than you "should be" for health? Another complex set of rituals and calculations to control food and weight?

Dunno - just saying.

orielwen is offline Senior Member
    Your weight is going up a little, and you do lots of crossfit-style workouts. Are you sure you're not just putting on some healthy muscle?

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Your weight is already pretty low. At this point improvements are going to come from weight gain, not loss. Specifically the building of strong bones and muscles. Take measurements and stop weighing. Watch your portion control. Eat more meat and less imitation sweet foods like cereal, yogurt, smoothies or other baby food. If you can't get improvement from eating a diet of mainly meat and vegetables, you probably have a very serious problem. (Meat != boneless skinless chicken breast.)
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by orielwen View Post
    Your weight is going up a little, and you do lots of crossfit-style workouts. Are you sure you're not just putting on some healthy muscle?
    My thoughts exactly. Take some pictures. I know my thighs have increased in girth over a year of Crossfit, so a lot of pants that used to be loose are now pretty tight, but then I also have a lot more muscle definition in my legs, so I know it's from muscle gain.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Unless we know the op's bone structure, we don't know if 126 is pretty low, just right, or a bit high. Also age is a factor. In my twenties, mostly from a rush rush lifestyle, I could sometimes go to as low as 112 (I'm the same height as the op) and no one asked if I were ill. Three years ago, I looked like skin and bones at 118.

Msilver is offline Member
    Substitute the cereal and fruit for bacon.

Bacon cures all!

the_puma is offline Junior Member
    Bacon does cure all!

Thank you everyone for your input! I definitely agree that it is tempting to slide back into counting, which is why I am contemplating whether such a diet is right for me and also why I haven't gone primal or paleo before for longer than a week. I don't want to go there again, 2 years ago I was at 110 lbs and doing 4-5 days a week of crazy workouts... started getting daily headaches, boyfriend insisted I see a nutritionist and a therapist. So I'm doing well, I think right now.

The main reason I started thinking about this is, I know I'm putting on a lot of muscle, which is fine, I will post a pic later, I am pretty muscular right now so it might just be extra muscle that I am seeing (mostly lower body actually). Might also be that I am not seeing the right thing considering I've never seen myself the way everyone else sees me probably. It just felt like I have plateaued in terms of my workout progress somewhat and all my measurements went up as well (and I measure myself quite rarely, also in order to not get obsessive about it - so a couple of times a year).

I don't eat cereal right now, so for those of you who mentioned it, the calculation was without cereal. You're right about the yogurt... perhaps I will save that for my cheat day. The other thing is, I eat sweets fri-sun so you know... that's a thing as well. It's probably nowhere near what most people eat but it's not doing me any good I'm sure.

I'm going to think about it some more and try to make a decision... also picture coming!

Thank you so much for your advice and support guys! I want to be healthy and not "feed" (pardon my bad pun) my eating disorder either. That would negate all the good I've done with proper eating and working out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast