Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First day - going crazy - help with carbs please? page 3

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Not an expert with those symptoms,
    Maybe the gut flora needs support, possibly adding a good probiotic supplement.
    Do you eat Yoghurt or soured veg like saurkraut, a lot of people drink kefir, I haven't tried it but it's on my list of to do's.
    Other than that soups & good bone broths are nutritional and easy on the digestive tract.

I'm sure someone else with more specific guidance will chime in.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I've never taken a proton pump inhibitor but I read this short account of one person's experience. She's got a lot of info about her journey through IBS and GERD. She's had to do different things than just eat paleo or primal so you might find some info looking around her site.
    Proton Pump Inhibitors Suck | Melissa McEwen's on food anthropology, economics, and culture
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

the_puma is offline Junior Member
    Oh I've actually read it believe it or not, I know PPIs are not good for you and I try not to use them for more than a couple of weeks at a time with a couple months' break in between. They make things worse after a while. And it's dangerous to have such a low stomach acidity for a long time. All sorts of badness can ensue.

Omni, I've actually found a great whey powder that is probiotic. It's New Zealand whey (so grass fed) and no additives, if only I could find larger packages... they only come in supplement bottle size here in Toronto. I can't eat a lot of yogurts for some reason, they tend to make my digestive tract happy but they affect other health issues I have negatively (I won't go into it). I try to have sauerkraut every now and then but you can guess it's hard to eat a lot of it, very salty... though delicious and full of natural probiotics. I think I'll stick to the protein powder and see how things go. Thanks!

heatherdarbs Guest
    Puma - I had the same problem; I was addicted to cereal (granola, no less). Now, I never think about it. I did P90X and put on a ton of lean muscle, so while the weight didn't drop like I thought it would (like when you starve yourself!), my body shrunk like crazy. Also, consider that your bones and organs offer weight on that scale. I love considering this, since I did a number on both while not eating properly...or at all.

I recently decided to rid my fridge of dairy and transitioned from berries to avocado. I was addicted to those, as well, but as I just took the steps to remove them and replace them w/ fats and meats, I never got the cravings back. It doesn't happen in one day, but it happens pretty quickly, considering the cravings. Once I got rid of that stuff, everything started changing. It might be specific to me, but it was suggested by (well, the book) and others; I didn't think I could pull it off, but I've been free of both for about 3 weeks and I could care less.

Your weight seems pretty right on in terms of health; but I understand that the scale screws with you. That's another thing I tossed. I now consider my body, my rapid ball of energy…as opposed to a withering one that can’t even get the automatic dryer in the girl’s bathroom to work. Now I just walk by and the paper towels fly right out Now I have and am energy!

It seems from what I am reading that I shouldn't be eating any fruits at all... in that case, I don't know what to eat, really. Nuts are very self limiting, since my stomach is very sensitive and gets upset when I eat too many of those. Same with protein, I simply cannot eat large servings. I know the solution might just be eating more often but I don't know what to eat often... sometimes I don't want anything, it seems.

Not to mention that I don't think fruit is bad at my body composition. I don't know. I eat dairy too every now and then (like a cappuccino with lactose free milk a couple of times a week or a small piece of cheese here and there). I don't want my diet to become torture because I am treating it as religion. Perhaps I just need to learn what to make for myself, and carry snacks around. Gotta find the time I guess, which I have very little of.

I like the "ball of energy" analogy, heatherdarbs lol I just imagined the paper towels flying out at you :P very nice!

But yes, still going nuts with cravings. Yesterday I almost went mad eating out with my friends when they all had their all-day breakfast with fries and I was sitting there with my salad. Even the pile o-sausages and bacon on my plate did not satiate me.

so guys... the crazy hunger is getting better! My stomach is still upset but I find it easier... I'm not thinking about food all the time and I've been cooking for myself! I even made chicken stock out of leftover roast chicken bones!

I do allow myself a couple of pieces of dark chocolate a day, it helps tide me over, otherwise my only other "cheat" which wasn't really a cheat was an extra apple which probably put me over 100g of carbs but it immediately stopped my hunger (this was after a full meal and I was still feeling hungry) and it lasted into the next day. I guess I just needed that apple!

So... it does get better!

heatherdarbs Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by the_puma View Post
    so guys... the crazy hunger is getting better! My stomach is still upset but I find it easier... I'm not thinking about food all the time and I've been cooking for myself! I even made chicken stock out of leftover roast chicken bones!

I do allow myself a couple of pieces of dark chocolate a day, it helps tide me over, otherwise my only other "cheat" which wasn't really a cheat was an extra apple which probably put me over 100g of carbs but it immediately stopped my hunger (this was after a full meal and I was still feeling hungry) and it lasted into the next day. I guess I just needed that apple!

So... it does get better!
    It does; I promise! Protein doesn't fill me up either, so I end up eating a ton of chicken and turkey and admittedly, I appear to be shrinking. Just like anything you have to give it chance, stick with it and be patient. If you don’t take risks, you remain stagnant. Also, you may need to actively redirect your focus for the time being, when you find yourself obsessing about what and how much you’re doing and what and how soon results will surface. You know the old adage, “…when you least expect it”

I do need to redirect my focus because I eat a lot more than I did before actually and all I keep thinking all the time is "oh god I am going to gain weight on this"... I keep reminding myself that if I am doing it for the sole purpose of losing weight then that's not the right goal. Health is the right goal. It's harder to assess progress because me and the scale are a no-no combination, that's not happening... so I have to go by what I see in the mirror which as you know is not true either! :P It's such a weird situation to be in. I am trying to go by how I feel - if I have energy and I'm happy then I am doing something right.

Just wish my stomach would stop hurting

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123