Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First day - going crazy - help with carbs please? page 2

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    We're all different. Some people go to eating primally one step at a time (first might be out with grains, etc.), others find it easier to jump right in and primal-ize their kitchens immediately. Some of us use added fats and others of us get our fats strictly from food. Some do dairy and others don't. Some use artificial sweeteners and some don't. Some even count the dreaded calorie, especially if they stall or gain. These are all customized versions of the blueprint.

If you use the general guidelines on protein, fat, and carbs, and you eat whole food rather than processed, eventually you'll find the perfect adaptation of the blueprint for you.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    disregard the scale and your weight creeping up and really analyze how you feel and look---how your clothes fit, etc! My brain will easily fixate on the scale---I'm your height but around 135. Honestly I am beautiful where I'm at. I do know that the scale has been as low as 118 for me before---and I was super skinny, but not beautiful and had tons of digestive/GI issues to boot. I started to fixate too much on lower carbs when I got more into primal but I've weaned myself out of that and am just focusing on fixing healthy meals!

abc123 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_puma View Post
    which is why I am contemplating whether such a diet is right for me
    Hmm.. There may be some advice on the psyche here you could hear.. Not sure, but gonna take a stab at it..

Understand, this isn't a "diet".. This is you eating real food, that your body is meant to be fed.. Primal foods are whole foods, full of the most quality nutrition, & the best nature has to offer in healing our bodies & keeping us alive.. Anything outside of the primal food list, probably isn't considered "real food" & isn't meant to be ingested by your body.. Cereal? I know you're on day 1 but you may be battling some addictions from years of "treats" & cravings.. I am the same with cheesecake! Some of these fake foods we like "tease" & "cheat" could be comparable to drugs.. Something we'll need to wean ourselves off of for maximum glow & shine!

Focus on eating healthy, whole foods, real foods, & your body will mold to the way its supposed to look, feel & weight.. I wouldn't get too caught up this early in the numbers..

The highest % of real & whole food (that works with your body, less any food allergies you may have), the healthier you will be, look & feel, bottom line..

easy on the stress & expectation @ this point.. Give this a few months of clean, whole food eating, then see what's going on..

Be well Ms. PUMA!
    Last edited by abc123; 08-09-2012 at 07:24 PM.

the_puma is offline Junior Member
    Thanks, abc123, that seems like sound advice. I didn't mean "diet" as in "dieting to lose weight" to me the word diet just means the way you eat and what you choose to put in your body not in the same sense that commercials use it.

I think the main thing I am feeling right now is not just withdrawal from eating more carbs than my body needs but also frustration with not being able to eat "tasty things". I love food that's good for me as well, don't get me wrong. I love avocados, nuts, berries and certain proteins but I don't enjoy them as much as I did that one bowl of cereal. It's one of the trappings of grains I think, gluten-free or not!

Anyway... here are a couple of pics of me. I will post them as links just in case... disregard the booty shorts please! I was trying to wear minimal clothing without resorting to underwear :P

Cheers!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../forforum1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../forforum2.jpg

Can I ask another question? Do you guys do cheat days at all? Or is it going to affect my desired benefits from going primal too much? I'm talking like a 24h period where I am allowed some sweets or if I'm going to a potluck or something?

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    I never plan for cheat days...that is daft. BUT I am not going to miss a pot luck, I may pick and choose a bit but live life and enjoy.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

abc123 is offline Senior Member
    I subscribed to primal mindset about a year & half ago, & for the first 6 months, I cheated twice a week.. Pizza/ice cream.. Next 4-6 months, I cheated about once a week, nachos supreme/wings, some ice cream.. but I starting paying attention to how horrible, bloated, stuffed & kind of miserable the cheat felt in my body.. & the food honestly didnt taste as good as it used to, didnt "hit the spot" like it used to.. For the past 6 months, I actually find myself happily explaining to my friends & family (when offered "cheat food"), "no thanks.. That stuff will have my stomach crawling, night sweating, & my ass shitting through a screen.. I can't eat it" they laugh & actually start explaining to me why they feel justified eating the fake food.. Pretty funny & actually somewhat powerful position to be in.. Most people KNOW right from wrong, but most people are lazy & sheep-like.. I think we are leaders, being unique & defending our health is attractive, establishes confidence & confirms self-esteem..

Anyway, I digress.. Yes, I used to cheat. Really don't now.. My cheats come more in the form of alcohol binges, & drinking the ENTIRE bottle of wine, or multiple vodka/waters.. But I love to party & have a great time getting Buzzed & sometimes shit-faced hammered with friends & my girlfriend.. The freedom & "cloud 9" excitement of a good buzz is kind of a blast to me.. But this too will tighten up shortly & naturally.. I'm becoming addicted to feeling fresh, organic, fantastic, thinking clear & remaining hydrated.. & the hangovers seem to get worse the cleaner my body is (of course)
    Last edited by abc123; 08-09-2012 at 10:26 PM.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Pics look pretty good, just keep doing what you are doing and like others said, don't focus too much on the numbers, it's a lifestyle not just a diet, so along with food & exercise, add some mental/emotional moderators for stress management yoga, meditation etc. learning to be still in body & mind is just as important to good health.
    As for cheat days, like Dirlot says, I don't plan them, I look at it like the Hunter Gatherer who finds a beehive, pig out today and enjoy it, but it's a rare occasion, I try not to keep too many temptations in the house, but like abc123 said, the longer you go down this path, the less desire you have for the so called bad "treats", they just don't seem to hit the spot like they used to.

Piscator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_puma View Post

Anyway... here are a couple of pics of me. I will post them as links just in case... disregard the booty shorts please! I was trying to wear minimal clothing without resorting to underwear :P

Cheers!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../forforum1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../forforum2.jpg
    You're a tight little package. Why, I'd tear into....
    uhhh, mmm. I mean, uhhhhh...

Yeah, you look fine.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    hahaha uhh thanks, Piscator :P

and thank you everyone else as well. I would really look forward to not craving those treats as much. I usually have pretty good self control around them and don't eat huge servings but I do look forward to my cheat days all week so that's probably not the mindset I want to be in. I will try to stick to this and deal with the temporary setbacks.

Has anyone experienced a worsening in any digestive issues while getting used to it? I've had stomach problems for the last few years and have to go through periods of PPIs (proton pump inhibitors like Prilosec etc.) every now and then because I get constant stomach aches/heartburn/gnawing pains like hunger pangs which trick my body into thinking it's hungry (trust me I can tell those from real hunger pangs because they can go on all day regardless of how much I eat). The last couple of days it's gotten worse. Could it be just my body going through adaptation? I usually have trouble eating large meals in general because they make my stomach worse and I can't eat things like raw vegetables for the same reason. Same with large amounts of nuts.

Sorry for all the extra questions! And thank you again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast