Thread: Getting more active play, but more lazy about workouts? page

Ripped is offline Senior Member

Getting more active play, but more lazy about workouts?

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,
    I just wanted to ask you folks what you thought about how I've been going about things.

To keep a long story short, I'm just trying to find some balance in my training. Now days going on 34 years old, I'm more into this stuff for the health of it. I've been trying to walk daily and mainly for its mood elevating affects, and the results have been great so far. I've even tried mountain hiking.

For weights I did one HIT workout per week for a while. That works pretty well. But I want to try 2 instead so I can get some of my old strength back (I used to compete in powerlifting and strongman). But these days I have trouble to focus on that. It seems every time the idea of hard work comes into play I get bored or distracted and don't want to do it.

So what can I say? Things change. I never was like that as a kid in my 20's. I always lifted back then. But now it just seems boring. But anything else I have no problem doing. Low-medium intensity stuff seems fun and I like it.

So what do you all think about that? It seems I'm doing a good job of getting more active and that is doing me some good. I also want to do some work to keep my strength, but I am bored to death with weights! To tell you the truth, some things just don't seem as exciting anymore when you've done it already. It is true, but another truth is that I just don't feel I can afford to be that lazy and lose all the strength I worked so hard to gain when I was younger.

Thanks in advance!

counterpuncher is online now Senior Member
    Maybe try ditching the weights for a while and focus on bodyweight movements instead.
    Pullups, dips, pushups with your legs elevated, inverted rows.
    After you get your reps up, you can use a weighted vest for more of a challenge.
    Static holds for time will help with strength too.
    I use gymnasts rings for my bodyweight movements, and I don't have any problem with strength.
    Weights aren't the only way to a stronger you, and switching things up will give your body a new experience and keep you from getting bored.
    Plus, there's something really cool about getting ripped and strong without using weights.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Seconded on the bodyweight stuff, I'm no where near some of the stuff you can do, handstand push-ups, muscle-ups, they are more than just strenght too, you need balance and co-ordination to pull them off right.

There are other options too, sandbag training, sledge hammer training, movenat stuff - going out to the woods and throwing rocks, carry trees etc.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    From what I've read/heard Mark (Sission) seems to do what you're gravitating toward: just doing bodyweight, lower intensity resistance training and "playing" a lot more. He says he basically does the resistance training so he can be better at play stuff like Ultimate Frisbee, paddleboarding, all that. So I say keep on doing what you're doing.

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Life isn't linear. It would be downright boring if not impossible to do the same things over and over indefinitely. Things change in our daily, weekly lives. New challenges and priorities arise. I used to lift all the time as you said too. I have found that its not required that you lift "all the time" to build and or maintain a muscular body. I train much more briefly and infrequently than ever and I'm still in very good condition. That said, sometimes I simply skip the gym for a few weeks at a time and do other things. It is good for us to do that and not worry about nonsensical things like losing all your muscle. It simply does not happen like that. I didn't touch a weight for about three weeks recently but did other fun things like swimming, cycling, kayaking, lots of walking etc. Got back to the gym and you know what? Was just as strong as I was the last time I trained. Yeah it kicked my ass a little but that was better by the next workout!

So my advice is to just do what you feel at any given time. In any case, avoid over training, eat well and get lots of rest too and you really can't go wrong. My guess is that in time you'll get that itch to get back at the weights. When you do, ride that wave for all its worth. I'm 47 and I've been going through these phases for over 20 years now and I'm none worse for the wear because of it. No aches or pains, illnesses, joint issues. None of it. I believe that cycling your activities and intensities is the key here. Just be sure to get some kind of max or near max effort in on a regular basis. This is the fountain of youth.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    I agree -- there's nothing wrong with mental/physical cycles that take you through periods of greater or lesser passion and intensity. If you're in tune with your body, the desire to formally work out will return in good time. Meanwhile, enjoy yourself.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid