Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP! I'm SOOOOO 'saladed out!'.... page

RedFalcon is offline Junior Member

HELP! I'm SOOOOO 'saladed out!'....

Shop Now
    I think if I LOOK at another salad, I'm going to just crawl up into a ball.

yesterday I ate only protien... and some fruit.. after my morning smoothie.

I can't seem to get on the wagon with enough veggies. My morning smoothie these days has been the only place where I can squeeze in veggies. I have been adding spinach/pepper/cucumber/celery/banana/pear and/or berries. It usually is about 24 ounces or a little more.

This is tough, especially in the afternoon - when I'm crawling the walls with hunger, and want so badly to eat whatever is in the vending machine. I do admit to falling off the wagon several times because of this.

I know we're supposed to load up on veggies, but there are days when I can't seem to look at them unless they're in a smoothie.

Help!? Is this temporary?

I've been off/on primal for several months now - and I am not at all even close to being a fat burner yet.

I have horrid horrid horrid cravings, and am intensely hungry while on Primal, I am not sure how to deal with that either.
    Life should NOT be a journey to heaven with the outcome of arriving slowly and painfully in a poorly cared for and diseased body, but rather to skid in sideways, with a rib eye steak dinner in one hand, dark chocolate in the other, body thoroughly used, totally joyous and howling 'WOO HOO what a ride!' .... (Modified slightly from the Original. )

ecole66 is offline Senior Member
    EAT! Stop worrying about it and just eat anything that is primal. Eat until you are full then stop. If you get hungry eat some more. You may need to lower the carbs for awhile to get the cravings under control. You are making things way to hard. One more time, EAT!!!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    MHO: Find your protein or fat. For me it's eggs. They are like some kind of magic protein. I'm famished. I'm ready to eat the paint off the walls. I boil a few eggs (or eat some already boiled and cold) and my hunger goes away. Find yours - it's probably not in a vending machine.

I feel your pain. I don't like salads at all. Except Caesar, the original, and that has croutons, so oh well. Find veggies you like. Skip veggies once in awhile. Grok didn't eat the same foods every day because he was at the mercy of climate and locale. If you don't eat veggies every day, you won't die. Is there another way you like veggies? Mashed? Slathered in butter? Grilled or roasted? That's fine. Grok started cooking for a reason. Some raw stuff tastes like crap.

Don't starve. Eat baby, eat. Plan ahead. Bring stuff to work. The SAD culture is built around shit-food. Don't buy in. Cold meat, canned fish, hb eggs, pickled veggies - easy to pack. Eat, don't starve.

Good luck.

I'll put away my pom poms now.

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RedFalcon View Post

yesterday I ate only protien... and some fruit.. after my morning smoothie.

I can't seem to get on the wagon with enough veggies. My morning smoothie these days has been the only place where I can squeeze in veggies. I have been adding spinach/pepper/cucumber/celery/banana/pear and/or berries. It usually is about 24 ounces or a little more.

This is tough, especially in the afternoon - when I'm crawling the walls with hunger, and want so badly to eat whatever is in the vending machine. I do admit to falling off the wagon several times because of this.

I know we're supposed to load up on veggies, but there are days when I can't seem to look at them unless they're in a smoothie.

Help!? Is this temporary?

I've been off/on primal for several months now - and I am not at all even close to being a fat burner yet.

I have horrid horrid horrid cravings, and am intensely hungry while on Primal, I am not sure how to deal with that either.
    I wouldn't stress too much about eating veggies, there just simply isnt any nutritional need for these things. I would recommend staying low carb and eating plenty of fat. I mean grok didn't eat all these vegetables and he was fine. These people lived in colder climates and there just wasn't much growing. They were basically just killing the meat and eating it straight up. Eat as much meat and fat as you like and try to limit your fruit comsumption. This will help your hunger problem, and fat can not make you fat unless in the presence of carbohydrates. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by BennettC; 08-08-2012 at 03:14 PM.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Roast your veggies; they are scrumptious!!!!

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    You do need low-glycemic vegetables, they have vitamins, minerals, fiber, phytonutrients, etc. Saute organic spinach and crack a cage-free egg or 2 in it, lid on for a couple minutes, really good, very filling.

cavebabymama is offline Senior Member
    Yep, roasting veggies makes them all taste good. I'm also a fan of sauteing most veggies with mushrooms, onions and garlic until they are well cooked and a little charred. And I agree, who cares if you miss a day eating veggies. Carry around with you at all times: sardines (or whatever canned ocean critter that you like), some trail mix, and good beef jerky, cuz the junk in the vending machine is only going to sit in your stomach and make you feel like crap. Find the primal foods that take you to your happy place, mine is coconut butter :-)
    Happy Wifey and NEW MOM!
    Pre-preg weight: 130
    Current: 145 (eek!)
    Goal: ??? <-- whatever it takes to get rid of this tire!
    Started Primal in May '12.
    My Blog
    Join the Revolution!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Fuck salads. Honestly, don't ever eat another salad ever again, okay? I swear you will live.

Eat:
    Chicken with the skin on
    Pork with the fat on
    Beef with the fat on
    Liver of all kinds
    Other organs like heart or tongue or tails
    Pork belly (ha ha that's fat with the meat on)
    Eggs
    Salmon
    Sardines
    Cream, butter, cream cheese, sour cream, olive oil, macadamia nuts, avocados

If you eat all the above, salad is unnecessary and vegetables are a condiment, a flavor enhancer or a delivery device for butter/cheese/cream. That's all they ever need to be.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

dgreenwood is offline Senior Member
    Those times where you fall off the wagon are probably what is making this so hard. They aren't just isolated incidents, they are keeping you from getting used to the new way of eating and they are keeping your cravings alive.

I obviously don't know your situation but it sounds like you are trying to do the primal thing but may be holding on to some conventional wisdom dieting techniques (I base this off of the talk of hunger and not being able to look at more salads or veggies). People that successfully maintain a primal way of eating usually eat when they're hungry and don't stress about eating things they don't like. I know I eat whenever I'm hungry and I eat until I'm full. I don't feel like I'm on a diet. You sound like you do.

As stated above, the first thing you need to do is have a sustained period of time where you eat only primal foods. Eat when you are hungry but make sure it's primal. Eat plenty of food when you do eat so you won't get hungry before the next meal. If you are having trouble making it to the next meal you aren't eating enough, add more fat and protein to your meals.

This is more than just meat and salads. I like salads but I don't remember the last time I ate one. Don't read too much into that, I just haven't had the urge for one in a while, I may eat 4 or 5 next week, but if I do there will probably be plenty of protein and fat on them (meat, fish, avocado, homemade dressing, etc) and it will be because I CRAVED one, not because I was depriving myself in order to lose weight. Eating used to make me feel bad, now it's something I really look forward to because the food is so good and makes me feel great!

If you are having trouble "looking at veggies unless they are in a smoothie" you are probably preparing them in a CW diet style (raw, steamed, no butter, etc). Veggies don't have to be something you just tolerate. If you cook them with plenty of protein and fat they don't feel like a sacrifice, they're good!

Transitioning to primal takes some sacrifices for sure but if you do it right you shouldn't sound as hungry and deprived as you do.

dgreenwood is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Wow, I typed for too long and a bunch of people said it better in fewer words!

Here's one thing that really helped me when I first started. Buy a big pack of chicken drumsticks and cook them all at once (with the skin on). Put them in the fridge at home and at work. If you get hungry and don't have time to cook eat 1, 2, 3, 4, how ever many it takes to stop being hungry.

Do the same thing with boiled eggs.

I'm not saying to go on an egg and chicken leg diet but these two items are easy to have around and taste pretty good cold (or nuke the chicken for 30 secs if you'd like).

These two things are pretty much how I survived the transition period.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast