Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HELP! I'm SOOOOO 'saladed out!'.... page 3

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawyerchick12 View Post
    wow...u are one of those fat pushers aren't ya lol...well whatever works for ya I suppose! I d be careful recommending so much fat to newbies who are still trying to determine their individual tolerance to THAT much fat... #justsaying
    Quote Originally Posted by RedFalcon View Post
    I've been off/on primal for several months now - and I am not at all even close to being a fat burner yet.
    Well gee, what is the OP asking for? To be a fat burner? What is she eating for breakfast? A ton of fruit and veggies only and NO FAT?

*shrug* I think you're being a little too harsh here. The OP obviously needs more meat/real food and sbhikes suggested exactly that.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Grok and Grokina probably ate greens in the spring. I am sure they didn't have a big assed salad every day. It was an ice age.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Patski so right about tracking your food, plus it's fun.. and loads of trackers out there to help.

nixxy is offline Senior Member
    I feel like this sometimes too! I stopped eating salads for a while, and only this week have I started again.

For the previous 3 weeks I just ate veges I liked... broccoli, spinach (in omelets), avocados, and sweet potatoes/white potatoes/carrot 2-3 times a week.
    However, my losses were crap. I only lost maybe a pound in that time.

I know it probably takes longer than 3 or so weeks to adjust but it just didn't feel good for me either.

I often feel the conflict of wanting to make myself eat more veges. The only fruit I eat is raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, and the occasional banana or passionfruit.

Maybe I haven't really fully embraced primal in that sense, I don't think I could have an entire day just eating all the primal foods I want. Not kidding it would be heaven on earth to me, but there's still a mental block for me with just eating eggs, salmon, meat, nuts and butter all day, but ID FRICKIN LOVE IT.
    Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

Current PRs:
    Bench: 45kg/99lb
    Squat: 100kg/220lb
    Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

My blog
    My journal

I get a lot of my veggies in by making soup. Add veggies to bone broth with some spices, cook down, then blend with an immersion blender. Sometimes I add coconut milk for a different flavor, or usually sweet potato to thicken it up. For cold soup, try gazpacho. Otherwise, I eat all my veggies roasted. Raw is unappealing to me, and I get sick of salads, too. If all else fails, add bacon. Greens cooked with onions, garlic, and bacon fat are divine.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nixxy View Post
    there's still a mental block for me with just eating eggs, salmon, meat, nuts and butter all day, but ID FRICKIN LOVE IT.
    Here's what I ate for the last few meals that I can remember:

Dinner - 3 tomatoes, a little more than half a large avocado, about a cup and a half of curried tuna salad (sadly with smart balance mayo), a little spinach, onions and cilantro, sprinkled with olive oil and vinegar
    Breakfast - small piece of pork belly, two mugs of coffee with cream
    Lunch - Can of salmon with mustard, two large handfuls of raw macadamia nuts
    Snack - two spoonfuls of coconut butter
    Dinner - Giblets (one liver, one heart, one neck and some flabby skin-like thing--what the hell was that??) fried in butter, half a garnet yam, glass of wine, two pieces dark chocolate
    Breakfast - One large and one small oxtail bone with the meat on, two cups of coffee one with butter and the other with coconut cream powder

I've been eating like this for a week and a half since I got back from my vacation where I lost 5lbs. I weighed myself this morning. I have kept off the weight.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I like salad.

But I also love:
    spinach sauted with bacon
    brussel sprouts sauted with bacon
    asparagus with aioli
    roasted asparagus
    cauliflower mashed with butter and cream
    sauted broc with a curry type sauce

Yeah, since you can have fat now, vegetables can be made pretty decadant. I had creamed spinach with my steak last night.

Daisynyc is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgreenwood View Post
    Those times where you fall off the wagon are probably what is making this so hard. They aren't just isolated incidents, they are keeping you from getting used to the new way of eating and they are keeping your cravings alive.

I obviously don't know your situation but it sounds like you are trying to do the primal thing but may be holding on to some conventional wisdom dieting techniques (I base this off of the talk of hunger and not being able to look at more salads or veggies). People that successfully maintain a primal way of eating usually eat when they're hungry and don't stress about eating things they don't like. I know I eat whenever I'm hungry and I eat until I'm full. I don't feel like I'm on a diet. You sound like you do.

As stated above, the first thing you need to do is have a sustained period of time where you eat only primal foods. Eat when you are hungry but make sure it's primal. Eat plenty of food when you do eat so you won't get hungry before the next meal. If you are having trouble making it to the next meal you aren't eating enough, add more fat and protein to your meals.

This is more than just meat and salads. I like salads but I don't remember the last time I ate one. Don't read too much into that, I just haven't had the urge for one in a while, I may eat 4 or 5 next week, but if I do there will probably be plenty of protein and fat on them (meat, fish, avocado, homemade dressing, etc) and it will be because I CRAVED one, not because I was depriving myself in order to lose weight. Eating used to make me feel bad, now it's something I really look forward to because the food is so good and makes me feel great!

If you are having trouble "looking at veggies unless they are in a smoothie" you are probably preparing them in a CW diet style (raw, steamed, no butter, etc). Veggies don't have to be something you just tolerate. If you cook them with plenty of protein and fat they don't feel like a sacrifice, they're good!

Transitioning to primal takes some sacrifices for sure but if you do it right you shouldn't sound as hungry and deprived as you do.
    I don't know about OP, but you've pretty much described me to a "T." Great post.

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Here's what I ate for the last few meals that I can remember:

Dinner - 3 tomatoes, a little more than half a large avocado, about a cup and a half of curried tuna salad (sadly with smart balance mayo), a little spinach, onions and cilantro, sprinkled with olive oil and vinegar
    Breakfast - small piece of pork belly, two mugs of coffee with cream
    Lunch - Can of salmon with mustard, two large handfuls of raw macadamia nuts
    Snack - two spoonfuls of coconut butter
    Dinner - Giblets (one liver, one heart, one neck and some flabby skin-like thing--what the hell was that??) fried in butter, half a garnet yam, glass of wine, two pieces dark chocolate
    Breakfast - One large and one small oxtail bone with the meat on, two cups of coffee one with butter and the other with coconut cream powder

I've been eating like this for a week and a half since I got back from my vacation where I lost 5lbs. I weighed myself this morning. I have kept off the weight.
    I loveee oxtails! How do you make yours???

Goldie is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    ( ...and some flabby skin-like thing--what the hell was that??)
    Thanks for the laugh, I needed it! Did it taste good?

I like salad a LOT, but I also change it up. There are a bunch of different kinds of lettuces, plus other greens (kale, bok choi, other cabbages, spinach, more that I can't remember) along with the other kinds of veg that are good raw--peppers (hot and sweet), carrots, radishes, avocado, tomatoes, cucukmbers, zucchini, other squashes... Then I make homemade salad dressing, which is different every time, and that adds variety.

And most of the salad ingredients (minus "normal" lettuce) are great stir-fried with various sauces--along with other veg like broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, etc.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast