Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: The Journal of Campanella page 5

campanella is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm interested in where the line is drawn between weakness and sensitivity. When I first started eating primally, I noticed what many people have - an increased sense of smell, taste, vision, hearing.
    Now, over the past few days or almost a week, I've eaten almost exclusively meat and vegetables, with a heavier (caloric) balance on the vegetables. No fruit/dairy etc. And my senses have all sky-rocketed, to the point that it is difficult for me to rest my mind.
    Last night, lying in bed I could hear the ticking of my clock, every tiny movement of my dog, all these sounds stood out from the background and I could not help hearing them. It was not that I was alert, more that I was in a hyper-aware state. Today I washed my face with a cold washcloth and - while this has not bothered me before - I felt physically sickened by the slight detergent smell on the washcloth (and I use unscented), and the smell which I previously barely noticed came to me as overwhelming. And I have some sort of increased sensitivity to the weather, too. The "brittle" feel of air conditioning is starting to bother me. Last night, it was very humid and hot, and the moment I got outside I was absolutely overcome by the heat and felt almost burning all over.

My legs are both aching terribly. They've been in an aching state for several days now and keep getting worse because I walk more and more pretty much every day. I know I have to let them recover sometime, but if I don't use my legs I don't get any exercise.

Today I ate breakfast about 10 am- turkey breast, an egg, some cucumber and apple. I had dinner at 6 pm, delicious pot roast, zucchini, cauliflower, a piece of coconut. Tomorrow for breakfast I'll have an egg and coconut and maybe some snap peas I have in the fridge, and maybe that will tide me over until dinner, when I'm going out to a restaurant with my family.
    I think I probably prefer 2 meals a day, it gives me more time in a focused state and in a way it is very distracting to constantly have to be eating or just-having-eaten or being about to eat.
    On a side note, I bought beautiful multi-colored pastured eggs and hard boiled them to the perfect point, so that the whites are set, and the yolks look set but are rare enough to pop open when you start to eat them. Fun. This is not really depriving. I ate a little more today than I did yesterday, anyway. I think I'm finally figuring out that I need to listen to what cues I give myself - I really am able to tell when I am full, in a sense I didn't use to be.

Yesterday I ate way more food than I needed, unfortunately, however all of it was good quality at least. Dinner was a burger I bought from a gourmet shop, delicious, in some kind of broth or sauce, with a portabello mushroom on the top for a lovely flavor. But that, and spinach, and 3 or 4 leeks, all tipped me over the caloric edge so to speak. Today I wasn't hungry at all really, but I started to get a little cranky around 2 pm so I ate then - turkey, an egg, cucumber, coconut, a few cherries (late summer cherries are the best, so tender and sweet!) Probably a little too much of everything considering I didn't even feel hungry, but I'm having dental work done and I'm concerned tonight might be chicken broth and whatever else I can dream up that can be swallowed and not chewed.

Wow, inspiringly beautiful early Fall weather. I love to be outside. Right now, I have chicken simmering on the stove for broth with garlic, parsley and dill, carrots, pearl onions and parsnip. The scent is out of this world and pervades the whole house.

In my local "specialty store" I picked up some raw milk swiss cheese today, how delicious. I got a free sample, too

I am happy to be heading into an autumn of cool breezes, turning leaves, rustling of the branches overhead and of course my favorite bittersweet apples, slow cooked stews and spices.

This morning I had chicken broth and raw cheese. Later on I went out to brunch/lunch with a few friends and out of social obligation had to get something, so I got the mushroom omelet... ach, I am getting spoiled! I really did not like it. Pastured eggs have a real taste and even the texture is different. Conventional eggs taste blank and are devoid of any real enjoyment now.

For dinner, something simple, flounder, sauteed zucchini and asparagus.

Yesterday I did a one day "carb refeed" at maintenance calories to restore leptin and enjoy some tubers. Sweet potatoes, parsnips and leeks, apple, banana, flounder, turkey breast. Yum. I ate about 300 more cal than usually but today I'm down a full lb FWIW.
    Making more chicken soup today. Will drop some off for a sick friend. There is nothing better when it is so fresh.

Well, I just got back from a weekend trip with the family. No exercise, lots of time in the car... but foodwise, not bad, although not all great quality, which I'm starting to really notice. Dinner one night at a historic restaurant, I had tasty halibut in a potato crust, with seasonal vegetables, broccoli, and several new potatoes with parsley... aha... I'd been trying to avoid nightshades, but I was starving and they were delicious and creamy. The next day, I tried red flannel hash for the first time at a breakfast place - delicious! Very authentic, served in an individual iron skillet Corned beef hash with grated beets, rutabaga, turnips... and poached eggs on top, with hollandaise. I enjoyed it and it kept me until dinner. When I went to a chinese place and had pork and zucchini, no sauce, and bean sprouts, and unfortunately got the characteristic MSG headache afterwards.
    Also, I went to a local farmers market, and got cauliflower, broccoli, dandelion greens, collards, brussels sprouts, a red kuri squash to try - beautiful - , and macoun and mcintosh apples, two of my favorite varieties, a little on the tart side. I also
    met a grass fed, pastured farm from whom I plan to order a Thanksgiving turkey. Wow, what hunting and gathering.
    Incredibly crisp, delightful fall weather now. I love this season too much.
    I feel a bit of a cold coming on, though. I need me some chicken soup
    My oven is out of order, so that takes away a lot of options, but I'm thinking I'll boil and puree the kuri squash with chicken broth and spices for a soup.

YUM

Just wanted to report back that there are few lunches better than local sheep's milk yogurt, soft boiled pastured egg (flavor is out of this world), broccoli raab sauteed with garlic and red pepper flakes, and a farmers' market Macoun apple...
    also I fasted from 6:15 last night to 1 o clock this afternoon. Which is pretty much a record for me.

The sister has lost some weight, it is visible, and she could really not afford to lose it. The thing is, she does not eat when she is stressed, and sometimes she does not eat if it is just simpler not too, and she is not on a meal plan at her dorm so she has to provide all her food for herself... the parents bring and send a lot of food when they can though, lots of frozen stew, frozen burgers to be warmed up, frozen vegetables, lots of pasta and rice which she eats, and cookies, chips, crackers, cereal as well :/ but as long as she eats something, it doesn't even matter so much what it is right now. Although I did buy her sweet potatoes and zucchini at the farmers' market, and homemade spinach linguine, which is better than plain boxed pasta if that's what she's going to eat. When crushed for time, she'll just have plain pasta with sauce for dinner, so I'm trying to nudge my way in and substitute ravioli and vegetable pastas instead, and add in some meatballs or something, baby steps are the way to go.

A more general update:

Goals:
    - reduce protein a lot
    - get enough calcium in the form of cheese (raw when possible) and yogurt (this seems to help with leg cramps)
    - keep calories low
    - no more than 2 meals a day
    - try a wider variety of vegetables, and focus on heirloom/uncultivated/wild varieties
    ex. Persian cucumbers instead of kirbys, more hubbard and acorn squash and less butternut/kuri/etc., tarter fruit, garlic/scallions instead of cultivated, sugary onions and leeks
    - focus on quality, not just name: don't fill up on chicken breast just because it's meat
    - eat more ruminants (beef, lamb, pork)
    - stay away from nuts except as garnish
    - drink herbal tea and use lots of spices - the small things DO matter
    - cut down on vegetables, you don't need to stuff yourself, more is not better, don't mess up your gut flora
    - eat meals out less often
    - use a different brand of butter than Cabot's as I don't think Cabot's is hormone-free

Plans in the near future:
    - go apple picking with family on the weekend: planning for Winesaps (try to share!!)
    - ferment crabapples
    - fermenting pickles
    - pork chops for dinner tonight
    - mashing a red kuri squash with spices
    - sauté dandelion greens from the farm market
    - look into winter farm markets in my area
    - buying my first pastured turkey for Thanksgiving- and will make bone broth from leftovers

Staples for the next period of time:
    First meal: Pastured eggs, bone broths, raw cheese, sheep's yogurt, celery and cucumber (fermented when I'm done with it), an apple a few times a week
    Substitute a fat or "safe" carb for extra protein. Dairy and broth or an egg is plenty of protein.
    Occasionally do avocado or coconut or dark chocolate.

Second meal: Bone broth or pork or beef (occasional chicken)
    Any vegetables, but try to do less sugary cultivated vegetables, and not too much of them

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The kuri squash was wonderful! I mashed it with ginger and it was perfect, like a butternut squash but stronger, sweeter and somehow also more savory. What a lovely flavor. I had it with a pork chop for dinner. The dandelion greens were almost unpalatably bitter, but better when I mixed them with sweet onions and pork gravy. I have some left in the fridge, maybe an omelet?

Lunch today was a pastured egg, chicken soup, a little sheep's yogurt. Dinner will be some beef brisket, either mashed white cauliflower or purple cauliflower - I got both and must decide - and maybe mushrooms or collard greens.

I'm set up for meals for some time now, I have a lot of pastured eggs and grass fed yogurts, broccoli from the farm stand, white and purple cauliflower, organic asparagus - probably some of the last of the season, little button mushrooms, collard greens and another bunch of dandelion greens. I also have chicken soup left for lunch tomorrow. Maybe I'll have that an make an omelet out of leftover greens, I think they need the richness of eggs and butter and maybe a little cheese to counter the strong bitterness.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast