Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The Journal of Campanella page 4

campanella is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Last night was a lovely evening, just starting to get the chill of autumn in the air at night, still surrounded by the luxurious chorus of the cicadas.
    For lunch I roasted broccoli from the farm stand with olive oil and sea salt, and dinner was burgers, roasted zucchini and some other squashes, a whole range of colors and sizes, and wild asparagus with purple scallion. Delicious!

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    Sounds wonderful! The food and the setting. It's a lovely time of year!
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 230
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 27.5

It was wonderful. I am looking forward to the fall!

My current primal worry is my sister. She had a tough year last year, spent the year subsisting on muffins for breakfast, plain bagel or pasta for lunch, and plain pasta or rice for dinner, every day, cookies or cake, candy, twice a day, and precious little quantities of everything, she lost 10 lbs - and was not one who could afford too! - and had no energy, in addition to being in a situation where as a growing girl she got less than 6 hours sleep per night. It was terrible.
    Now she's headed off to college for the first time, I'm happy to see her start eating yogurt for breakfast instead of a muffin - she eats nonfat, sweetened, stuff, but it's a first step - and for dinner she's back to eating vegetables too. But still, she was home for dinner last night, and I was surprised when she came into the kitchen and - seeing a myriad of vegetables and flounder on the stove - anxiously inquire if there was also a bread product or pasta or something?? Indeed, there was white rice, which she probably ate the most of. She basically stopped eating meat last year, I think not because she wants to be vegetarian, but because she is one of those highly intelligent, head-in-the-clouds, very sensitive to random things type people, and she is squeamish about meat other than something like a burger that is all blended together well, haha. She didn't eat any flounder, so no protein, and barely enough vegetables, I'm worried about her getting nearly enough protein!

I think if I can find the time and the right moment - and a new oven now - I need to start baking things she will eat with lots of fat, protein, nutrients inside them, maybe sweet potato muffins with lots of egg yolks or something.

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    It's hard when those we love don't treat themselves right. I guess most of the time all we can do is set a good example with our own lives. That's what I've been trying to do.

But the fortified muffins seems like a good idea!

Good luck with it!
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 230
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 27.5

That's true DCarr. Thank you.

They say to look at calories in a weekly context, as that is where it matters, and I can only hope that is true! I was doing very well for some time and I lost another hard to lose pound, but today and yesterday I've gone a good 20% over what I need. I gained back that pound and another already...

This morning I didn't want breakfast foods and I had turkey and roasted broccoli in the fridge, so I had some of each. However I had a long stretch of intense work until about 2 pm, so I figured I needed some fat to last me, and without much else to reach for I had a few sips of milk and a yogurt. Alright, so turkey, broccoli, milk and yogurt is a lot for breakfast, but I figured I would eat less at another meal. Not so. At dinner last night I took out of the freezer some meatballs I'd been saving from a favorite Italian place... delicious, lots of herbs and a sweet-spicy marinara sauce, and I had about 8 or 9 oz of that all accounted for. I am not kidding, these are huge meatballs, and it's not possible to eat only a part of one! Again, I said, I'll make up for it at dinner, or I'll exercise a lot. Well, a 2 mile walk or so was all I did, it is far too humid for anything else. For dinner my mom has her heart set on making us a shepherd's pie with ground beef, mashed potatoes, peas - another big, calorie-dense meal, unfortunately, I have not even eaten yet and I've eaten a full day's calories. Also I've had 40g more protein than I need today, and I'm learning I need to not eat excess protein as the excess works the same as carbs and does not fill you up like fat.

The only way I can think of to eat quality meats - in particular, beef instead of so much poultry, because I think the 06 does make a difference, ruminants certainly give me more energy - and fats, and not go way overboard in calories, is to start fasting through breakfast unless I have something big going on in the morning. I know nothing can really make up for today, but I will still try to hold things closer to my goals.

In light of a recent meatball episode, and personal experience on the trickiness of portioning chili, I'm doing a little research into nightshades. Apparently nightshades (peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant), in the same family as tobacco, contain (if small) levels of nicotine which could be mildly addictive. Another interesting point is that hot peppers are really the only food we eat that gives us physical pain. Pain is typically a warning.
    Some more hearsay things I read are that cultures who eat a lot of tomatoes and peppers have the highest rates of digestive cancer.
    The nicotine and other compounds, such as capsaicin, in nightshade vegetables, have been shown to prevent and slow down healing processes.

I'm young and don't have the typical issues associated with nightshades, but recently I've been experiencing popping joints in my shoulders when I try to do a pushup, and frequently some back pain. I'm not ready to eliminate nightshades, but I'm definitely interested in eating them as no more than a garnish.

Of course, I'd gladly base my diet off nightshades than grains or sugars, but still it is probably best to save them for rare occasions.
    The best part of meatballs in tomato sauce are the herbs, the spice, the slow cooked meat, the warmth and the "mouthfeel" of a thick, flavorful, brightly colored sauce. This is something I can surely reproduce without the nightshades.

Unfortunately I was just considering making a big pot of chili over the weekend. Will have to reconsider.
    A problem I've been suffering over the last 2 years or so, possibly more since I've been primal, is terrible intense leg cramps that wake me up at night. I will have to see if nightshades effect this. Unfortunately I also read that paprika is a nightshade - my beloved Hungarian paprika, that is something I may have to never stop with!
    One thing that is consoling re the paprika is that there is a spectrum, and a tablespoon of paprika in a stew is not the same as a bowlful of tomato sauce.
    Last edited by campanella; 09-06-2012 at 11:56 AM.

With primal eating there are no ups and downs, only a smooth coast once you are fully on board.
    When trying to lose weight, however, there are good moments and bad moments, each excruciatingly full of pressure. I know this is not healthy, what I did today, no more than is healthy what I did yesterday (ate way too much). I ate less than 800 calories today, somewhere between 750 and 800. Yes, yes, I can tell myself, I am a small framed and young and sedentary person and a deficit of 500 calories from maintenance puts me at 950 calories by some counts, by others less than 900. Yes, I intend to lose a few more pounds.

The truth still stands, however, and somehow I hope few people are reading this, that I know 800 calories is below what I need because of the way I've swerved half-consciously several times, dizzy without feeling dizzy, and my exaggerated crankiness and disturbance with the world. (And still, the voice that says - you swerved because you haven't drank enough in hot weather. You're cranky because you're driving yourself crazy with your mental tail chasing...)

And then, the other part of the truth, which says there is no black and white, only lots of grey. I don't know if I ate too little. I read someone's blog who said you could eat 800 calories a day for a week and lose weight with no ill effects. And I am little and I don't exercise. And I couldn't lose weight with 1300 or 1200 or 1000 calories a day... and I am small. And I ate quite the quantity of food, even if a calorie counter tells me I didn't eat enough, and this and that little old lady I know eat way less than me and spend the whole day standing up, and above all -- unfortunately I don't want to say enough about myself that this can be clear, but unfortunately -- above all, I know that I do NOT need to lose any more weight for health's sake, and it is only a certain person who, well meaning as may be, knows how to make each day, each meal, each step in exercise that used to be for enjoyment of itself alone but is no longer, miserable and full of inner pain as I am conscious of my bloatedness in their eyes. I want the comments to stop. I just need those comments to stop, about my portion size, about my always eating, about the fats and the quantities I eat.
    And then, when I complain about the comments, in come a myriad of voices to my head: your portions are fine, you are normal, keep eating, if anything you need to eat more. Another voice: they are right, you are small, have you ever seen anyone your size eat the quantities you do? [no.] Another voice pushes it back onto the other person: self esteem issues are behind the comments, ignore them. Another voice: this person is always right, they are now too, you are bloated, lazy, overweight, chubby, stupid looking. And in the end, none of them is right or wrong, but they all contribute to the haze that propels me vaguely stumbling onward through failed attempts at exercise and occasional, rare successes at calorie restriction that leave me acting like a jerk to those around me and drinking heavily of my own self-pity which is unstoppable now.

So the facts were I decided to try and IF through breakfast, shouldn't be a big deal especially for me when I don't exercise except for short walks, but apparently it was a big deal. At 12:30 I ate some leftover meatball, tomato sauce, a piece of leftover turkey, some cucumber. Then dinner wasn't all done until about 8:45, when I had chicken, brussels sprouts, sweet potato. All in all it tallied to about 800 calories.

And the plan: tomorrow, no more than 950 calories. For lunch I have planned out a platter of vegetables I bought today, and some browned beef I have in the fridge. For dinner the parents are making a pot roast, probably mashed potatoes I'll have to dodge, and I'll make asparagus. I put everything in the calorie counter in advance and it's about 900 calories. Plus extra for butter and seasonings, I'm sure. Hopefully I'll be able to IF through breakfast.
    And I hate all this.
    I hate counting calories minutely, but most of all I hate the self despicableness this has created. "This" being not primal eating, but this counting, this questioning, this confusion of information, and above all -this silence, where I can only write online how much this is all bothering me... I don't want to appear crazy and I could never explain the complex web behind why I am trying to lose weight when I do not need to.
    Still, I hope it happens. If all goes well, I will lose 3 lbs by next week - what day it must be, I am not sure yet, and then after that-- I dare to dream that after that, I can gain back 5 lbs for all I care, or even more, and no one had better say anything.
    That one cursed appointment had better go well.

Things are brighter in the light of another day. How absurd - I've made a mistake and the appointment is not for another few weeks. More time, I suppose.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Nightshades were easy to drop for the most part, to be honest. Just a week away from tomato sauce and hot sauce eliminated all the redness in my face. And my muscle twitches stopped. To this day, if I eat much nightshade in a short period of time, my thumb might start twitching. So I save it for rare occasions.

And, I hate to say it because you've already heard it, but eat if you're hungry! If you're dizzy, check out electrolytes and see if they help. Magnesium and salt are great.

You sure you have weight to lose?
    Last edited by Knifegill; 09-07-2012 at 11:17 PM.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Hi Knifegill. I think I'll try dropping nightshades. I also have a redness/inflammation in my face which seems to come and go, and I'm wondering if it could be associated with nightshade plants.
    I appreciate the advice. I think I'm going for some sort of calorie cycling thing. Nothing fancy, just some days I'll try to eat as little as I can, other days I'll eat as much as I want within reason, and the rest of the time I'll try to just eat what I need.
    Possibly I was just coming down with a cold. I had a terrible burning sensation in my head last night and my arms and legs felt like lead. I am more than ready for this humidity to end Or possibly that "low carb flu" people have talked about? I never really spent time below 60, 70 g carbs and now I'm around 50 g/day.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast