Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Archaeologists Officially Declare Collective Sigh Over “Paleo Diet” page

h3hound is offline Junior Member

Archaeologists Officially Declare Collective Sigh Over “Paleo Diet”

Primal Fuel
    HA! Good Read with some interesting points of view...

“Look, the diet itself is sound; it’s the philosophy that’s bullshit. Eat what you want. Just leave the damn cavemen out of it.”

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    I wasn't impressed with the article's arguments. Their basic argument is similar to the don't eat anything white diet. Yeah if you were to follow a don't eat white stuff diet you'll eliminate sugar and flour, but you'd eliminate those carbs in spite of their being white and not because of.

A paleo diet approach is only the premise. It then must be followed up with endocrinology and biochemistry lab work. With grains you get the problem of excess starch, and those certain lectin/gluten that cause leaky gut and celiac disease. Fructose is similar to alcohol to the liver and kidneys.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    I just read the last italicized sentence. So the whole article was bull shit.

–To avoid further confusion: this is a work of fiction. The experts do not exist. Their arguments, however, most surely do.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    –to avoid further confusion: This is a work of fiction. The experts do not exist. Their arguments, however, most surely do.
    omgwtfbbq

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by h3hound View Post
    HA! Good Read with some interesting points of view...

Yes, it's got some humour in it.

I think it's also true that people in these disciplines wouldn't necessarily agree with some of the stuff advanced in the paleosphere. For example, Robb Wolf used to have line where he said that if you wandered around a university and talked to the anthropology department and the nutrition department you'd, bizarrely, get two utterly different view of human nutrition. I think he wheels that one out in his (generally excellent) book. I don't believe it. I think it's a fond imagining. You can get some interesting comment on various matters from the right anthropologists and archaeologists. However, I think many of them are as misled as everyone else.

For example, you can certainly come across the "wild game is lean" nonsense -- though not, of course, among those who've made some effort to really look into the matter:

Amazon.com: Using Environmental Archaeology (9780312835385): Myra L. Shackley: Books

The piece is OK, if you take it as humour, though perhaps not as funny as the author imagined it to be. There are indications that the writer meant it to be something more, though. Witness:

The experts do not exist. Their arguments, however, most surely do.
    If the author wants to be taken seriously -- well, it's pretty thin stuff. One example:

... wheat being specifically singled out. What people seem to ignore, he said, was that the fresh fruits and vegetables forming the basis of the Paleo Diet were created by the same agricultural process that produced cereal grains.
    Who said that the selective breeding of other plants -- for example the production of very high-sugar fruits -- was never a problem?

Answer: no one.

Nevertheless, wheat is "singled out" because it is a problem. And there's a heck of a lot of evidence to support that.

Study Sheds Light On Gluten Sensitivity - WSJ.com

So, as a joke, that maybe works, if it's meant to be a serious comment ... well, it's just not. it's shallow. Same for the other "arguments" that "most surely" are supposed to be killers.

Paleo? The proof is in the eating. Give it 30 days, gentle reader.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    “It’s like, even my barber is suddenly an expert in evolutionary physiology. A seventeen-year-old kid at my gym give me a ten minute lecture on how my Clif Bar was poison because humans can’t metabolize soy. I’ve been studying human evolution for thirty years.”

Lol.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    That was an awesome article.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
    I just read the last italicized sentence. So the whole article was bull shit.

–To avoid further confusion: this is a work of fiction. The experts do not exist. Their arguments, however, most surely do.
    Says it all, I especially loved the line where they compared fruit and veg which for the most part can be picked and eaten raw with frains.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    The big tip off for how stupid they are comes from saying yams are a new world food.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Funny thing will be when some dim wits actually post whole threads based on the "evidence" in this article without getting to the disclaimer at the end that basically just says ...."GOTCHA, THIS WAS ALL JUST BS"!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast