Thread: Total Cholesterol & LDL On The Rise

Threaded View

Total Cholesterol & LDL On The Rise

I just got another lipid panel and it seems that my total cholesterol and LDL are on the rise. (last 3 test results below) I went primal in 2011 (between the 1st and 2nd test results).

3/22/2008
    Cholesterol 169
    HDL 48
    LDL 106
    Triglyceride 77

2/21/2012
    Cholesterol 243
    HDL 78
    LDL 156
    Triglyceride 44

8/7/2012
    Cholesterol 278
    HDL 72
    LDL 197
    Triglyceride 43

height: 5'9"
    weight: 178
    waistline: 32"
    Body fat %: Not sure. scales indicates 17% body fat. Abs are slightly visable and I've read that this happens around 10% body fat.

My understanding is that total cholesterol and LDL figures in a standard lipid panel aren't an indication of anything. So they are pretty much useless.

I believe that the only metric that really matters when examining a standard lipid panel is Triglyceride/HDL. (I'm basing this off of Dr. Peter Attia post: How a low carb diet reduced my risk of heart disease (Part 3) - The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.) If this is the case, then I have a tri/HDL of .60, which is considered very good.

However, I am still concerned that there might be something wrong if my total cholesterol and standard LDL readings are so high.

Am I reading this correctly? Does anyone have any insight into whether or not I should be concerend?
    Last edited by ASC; 08-08-2012 at 01:30 PM.