Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Total Cholesterol & LDL On The Rise page

ASC
    ASC is offline Member

Total Cholesterol & LDL On The Rise

I just got another lipid panel and it seems that my total cholesterol and LDL are on the rise. (last 3 test results below) I went primal in 2011 (between the 1st and 2nd test results).

3/22/2008
    Cholesterol 169
    HDL 48
    LDL 106
    Triglyceride 77

2/21/2012
    Cholesterol 243
    HDL 78
    LDL 156
    Triglyceride 44

8/7/2012
    Cholesterol 278
    HDL 72
    LDL 197
    Triglyceride 43

height: 5'9"
    weight: 178
    waistline: 32"
    Body fat %: Not sure. scales indicates 17% body fat. Abs are slightly visable and I've read that this happens around 10% body fat.

My understanding is that total cholesterol and LDL figures in a standard lipid panel aren't an indication of anything. So they are pretty much useless.

I believe that the only metric that really matters when examining a standard lipid panel is Triglyceride/HDL. (I'm basing this off of Dr. Peter Attia post: How a low carb diet reduced my risk of heart disease (Part 3) - The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D.) If this is the case, then I have a tri/HDL of .60, which is considered very good.

However, I am still concerned that there might be something wrong if my total cholesterol and standard LDL readings are so high.

Am I reading this correctly? Does anyone have any insight into whether or not I should be concerend?
    Last edited by ASC; 08-08-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Yea, I mean, I would be gravely concerned. Shit just ain't right.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I would also start to be concerned. Greater than about 250 total is out of the range of what you see in modern-day hunter gatherers from what Chris Masterjohn tells me. My numbers look really similar to yours last time I checked. It'd be smart to get a full thyroid panel (T4, T3, reverse T3, TSH) and probably testosterone too.

Yup, what yodiewan sad.

ASC you're fucked, dude! Fucked!!!

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Forgive Dado. He's tipsy again.

Yes, your TC is a little high, but not terribly so. Some simple adjustments could easily bring it down. There are plenty of good exercises and foods that easily reduce total cholesterol - not that I fully advocate them. I won't personally be worried about my TC unless it tops 400 or so.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post

Yes, your TC is a little high, but not terribly so. Some simple adjustments could easily bring it down. There are plenty of good exercises and foods that easily reduce total cholesterol - not that I fully advocate them. I won't personally be worried about my TC unless it tops 400 or so.
    LOL! YOU SON OF A GUN!

ASC, real talk: I would get some more tests done. The way things stand now, you're looking at an early grave.

ASC
    ASC is offline Member
    Any articles out there that address this type of high cholesterol? (I'm hoping to find some information in the context of primal eating.)

Yea, search the forum for Griff's 'Cholesterol Primer'

ASC
    ASC is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post

Knifegill, why would you be worried about TC above 400? Do you have any articles or studies that say this would be an issue?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey, if you're too lazy to read Griff's threads, then I hope your LDL goes to 500 and you fall off your chair on the spot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast