Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Total Cholesterol & LDL On The Rise page 2

ASC
    ASC is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by The Return of Dado View Post
    Hey, if you're too lazy to read Griff's threads, then I hope your LDL goes to 500 and you fall off your chair on the spot.
    I read through Griff's threads and one of them pointed to this article: Better Know Your Triglyceride/HDL Ratio if You Want to Prevent a Heart Attack

The article indicates that the most important indications for heart desease are HDL/TC and tri/HDL. My numbers are .26 and .60 respectively. These are considered ideal.

So how is my health at risk?

Quote Originally Posted by ASC View Post
    I read through Griff's threads and one of them pointed to this article: Better Know Your Triglyceride/HDL Ratio if You Want to Prevent a Heart Attack

The article indicates that the most important indications for heart desease are HDL/TC and tri/HDL. My numbers are .26 and .60 respectively. These are considered ideal.

So you're good, what's the problem?

ASC
    ASC is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Return of Dado View Post
    So you're good, what's the problem?
    I already understood that ratios are "more" important than TC . This is stated in various articles. However, I'm concerned that even though TC is perhaps "less" important, that it could still be a risk factor if it gets too high. As I see my TC creeping closer to 300, I'm concerned. Kniffgill said that above 400 could be a risk factor, but I cannot confirm this.

I'm trying to figure out if TC, by itself, provides any meaningful information at all. At what point, if any, is high TC a concern?

I already understood that ratios are "more" important than TC . This is stated in various articles. However, I'm concerned that even though TC is perhaps "less" important, that it could still be a risk factor if it gets too high. As I see my TC creeping closer to 300, I'm concerned. Kniffgill said that above 400 could be a risk factor, but I cannot confirm this.

I'm trying to figure out if TC, by itself, provides any meaningful information at all. At what point, if any, is high TC a concern?
    In all honesty, I have no idea.

I mean, it all comes down to how you feel. Do you strength train? If you don't lift heavy shit, your life sucks anyawy.

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member

That's what I'm trying to figure out. Your ratios are fantastic. Get a more detailed test (I think it's called a VAP test?). Get a direct measurement of your LDL, because low trigs can throw off the calculation. And find out whether your LDL is Pattern A or B. I'm guessing with your HDL and trigs where they are, that your LDL is the fluffy, bouyant type (I'm pretty sure that's Pattern A), which is benign.

It does look like a pattern of rising TC, but there's some debate as to whether that is as important as the other factors. There are parts of your diet you can dial in to bring it back down, which have been posted by people who know more about it than I do.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielle5690 View Post
    That's what I'm trying to figure out. Your ratios are fantastic. Get a more detailed test (I think it's called a VAP test?). Get a direct measurement of your LDL, because low trigs can throw off the calculation. And find out whether your LDL is Pattern A or B. I'm guessing with your HDL and trigs where they are, that your LDL is the fluffy, bouyant type (I'm pretty sure that's Pattern A), which is benign.

It does look like a pattern of rising TC, but there's some debate as to whether that is as important as the other factors. There are parts of your diet you can dial in to bring it back down, which have been posted by people who know more about it than I do.
    You say fluffy LDL is benign with great authority but no one knows this for sure. Peter Attia presents compelling evidence that it is total LDL-P which drives CVD regardless of particle size. Here is a quote from his blog:

Begin Quote

Summary

At first glance it would seem that patients with smaller LDL particles are at greater risk for atherosclerosis than patients with large LDL particles, all things equal.* Hence, this idea that Pattern A is “good” and Pattern “B” is bad has become quite popular.
    To address this question, however, one must look at changes in cardiovascular events or direct markers of atherosclerosis (e.g., IMT) while holding LDL-P constant and then again holding LDL size constant.* Only when you do this can you see that the relationship between size and event vanishes.* The only thing that matters is the number of LDL particles – large, small, or mixed.
    “A particle is a particle is a particle.”* If you don’t know the number, you don’t know the risk.

End Quote
    Last edited by Artbuc; 08-08-2012 at 02:45 PM.

fitmom is offline Senior Member
    listening to Dado can cause mental confusion, lightheadedness & blurred vision. Risk-taking behavior such as sleep-gambling and shopping at Whole Foods on payday have also been observed.

If you experience any of these symptoms after taking Dado seriously, inject a large measure of common sense into your cognitive process for immediate relief.

fitmom is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    With your trigs as low as they are, and if you have a low CRP, I wouldn't imagine there's a problem. Although at some point in the next several decades, there will be some sort of problem, for all of us, you seem to have markers of solid health.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12