Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no wonder we are getting fat page

denise is offline Senior Member

no wonder we are getting fat

Shop Now
    I just walked along our High Street, about 7 minutes in each direction, to get a few things (non food items). I'm a bit hungry, to say the least ...... so negotiating the 3 bakeries, 3 take-aways (kebab, pizza, fish and chips, all open), 3 cafes, 4 pubs (one has closed, it used to be 5), 1 supermarket and several (as in 5) shops selling cheap food - all chocolate bars, sweets, cake, cereal etc I passed n just that small journey WAS NOT EASY! There isn't one fruit and veg shop in town any more (unless you count the 3 supermarkets), I went fairly near the one remaining butcher. No fishmonger in town.

Its like "running the gauntlet" and yes, on some days its torture (the sheer variety of food smells defies description and I struggle with sweet stodge to this day) and no I didn't succumb. No wonder, as a nation, that we are getting so fat!!!

stumprrp is offline Member
    I feel you. I'm pretty lucky in RI to have some very very good places to eat. However for fast food the only option is Chipolte.

Msilver is offline Member
    Try living next to a fried chicken shop, it's hard to go out for a sprint without being lured in.

I forgot to mention the chinese and indian take-aways - cos they weren't open yet - so thats 5 (!!!!) take-aways within a few minutes walk.

ah, while I feel your pain, I hate fried chicken

cavebabymama is offline Senior Member
    Gah! When I was pregnant I used to walk by a KFC every.single.day and it was soooooo tempting. Although those glow in the dark 8 legged chickens would never make it down my gullet, then or now.

It's true though, but when I am checking out at the supermarket with my chicken breast and salad greens right after a sprint and the person in front of me has coffee cakes, a loaf of bread, cereal, etc I do cry a little inside.
    Happy Wifey and NEW MOM!
    Pre-preg weight: 130
    Current: 145 (eek!)
    Goal: ??? <-- whatever it takes to get rid of this tire!
    Started Primal in May '12.
    My Blog
    Join the Revolution!

Quote Originally Posted by cavebabymama View Post
    when I am checking out at the supermarket with my chicken breast and salad greens right after a sprint and the person in front of me has coffee cakes, a loaf of bread, cereal, etc I do cry a little inside.
    oh, so true, so true, I know that little hiccup of pain at the sight of those revoltingly bad but goodies. Some people don't crave - I am not one of them.

stumprrp is offline Member
    Now the chinese and indian i dont have too much of a problem with, if i know there is no MSG ive been known to tackle a few plates of Pad Thai or assorted Curry.

true - its not so bad, as take-away goes. Especially Indian - lots of taste and easy to lay off/minimise the rice BUT it's yet more food calling to me

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Even some of the food I thought was safe is now off-limits to me. I saw Q-doba's ingredients and just about cried. The pork is the only soy-free meat, etc. It definitely is a stark reminder that eating out is a POTENT 20% contributor. So we stopped going there - and we stopped reading the ingredients for the few places we have left to eat out at. Otherwise we'll have turned into cranky hermit-monks. Not that I don't entirely like the idea of being a cranky hermit-monk...

That and canola oil. Pick up a bag or box of frozen anything and it's contaminated with canola oil.

I'm just glad the food desert hasn't spread to my area yet.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

PrimalCon New York
    it's not so much a "food desert: as a sort of "slimy crap-food swamp" - well, that's in my area anyway. Problem is - I still find my senses react to the sight and smell of it all (bakeries especially). I can go out feeling fine and yet be suffering terrible cravings by the time I get back home. Those cravings last a long time too - I am STILL finding it hard to block it all out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast