Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: no wonder we are getting fat page 2

denise is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    and I think I AM a cranky hermit monk.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    I guess I am kind of lucky in that our little town is seriously lacking in restaurants . I used to be chef so we eat very well at home and I would have drive quite a way to find anything that would even slightly tempt me. Mind you fast food is not at all hard for me resist.

HealthyGirl is offline Member
    Tell me about it!
    That's why the Farmers market is my FAVORITE place, from may-november.
    I get everything from there...Grass fed beef, fresh fish, fruit & veggies....It's really hard for me to eat out...

denise is offline Senior Member
    wouldn't mind if it was just the fast food etc - its the sheer number of places to buy cheap, poor quality, sugar laden rubbish ..... that tempts me even though I know its rubbish. Like I say, bakeries are just hell for me and I often have to walk past several to get to where I am going.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    There's a mom and pop shack near us that, if you order the right meal, is perfectly primal friendly. No, it's not grassfed or organic. On the other hand, they only cook in lard, buy locally when they can because it's cheaper, and serve pork skins instead or chips. I asked them if there was any soy, cornstarch, or wheat in their meals and got back a "We make all our own spice blends. There are only spices in them. If you don't order anything with wheat in it, like a burrito, then there isn't any wheat." I LOVE Mamasita's.
    That said, just across the street is a Paleo person's worst enemy: a donut shack next door to a gordita place. Go to the other corner and there's a Jason's deli (pretty primal, if you're careful) next door to crappy Tex-mex (we proudly fry in cottonseed and canola oil!) and Americhinese (don't even bother.) Go to the 4th corner and you find 2 hippie stores caddy corner to the best mom and pop Italian you'll ever eat (if you're careful and request the right substitution, it's perfectly primal, as they cook in olive oil.)

Unfortunately, the rest of the area is deep fried, coated in soy, or rolled in wheat.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

JoanieL is offline Senior Member

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    At least you were walking! Here in the US, walkable neighborhoods are getting to be a thing of the past. There is a massive variety of cheap junk and a lot of it is available through a drive-up window. You don't even have to walk from the parking lot into the restaurant.

I've known people who ate almost every meal that way. (Yes. You can even get breakfast in a drive-through.) It ended up being self-perpetuating. They were so fatigued all the time that they couldn't bear the thought of cooking their own meals and cleaning up afterward. I think it's all too common with chronically overworked people. A good diet and better sleep would've helped their energy level but they just felt like they had nothing to spare at the end of the day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12