Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Please post your Primal school lunch ideas. page 2

Kariberry is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Disclaimer: I'm not a parent and never was, but I vaguely remember that my teenage bfs ate like they had eight assholes.[/QUOTE]

HA HAHAHAHAHA!! As a mom of a 15 year old and an 18 year old, I concur - and THAT is FUNNY!!!!

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    bacon and eggs in a thermos is actually still lovely by lunch! Also...homemade soup! Chicken broth with lots of veggies. Burgers keep well in a thermos too---just involves being willing to cook or reheat foods in the morning before school---I do this with my kids and hubby for work too. Tuna salad, egg salad---can serve on lettuce.

Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    bacon and eggs in a thermos is actually still lovely by lunch! Also...homemade soup! Chicken broth with lots of veggies. Burgers keep well in a thermos too---just involves being willing to cook or reheat foods in the morning before school---I do this with my kids and hubby for work too. Tuna salad, egg salad---can serve on lettuce.
    Bacon and eggs in a thermos?? That's fucking brilliant. Show me an amazon.com link to the type of thermos you're talking about and tell me how you would load it with the bacon and eggs, like how would you make the eggs (what shape)? This is a revolutionary idea, it could change the way I eat forever.

Goldie is online now Senior Member
    I usually put a big hunk of meat in the crockpot on the weekend--a couple whole chickens, or beef, bison, or pork, with seasonings. Then we eat the leftovers cold throughout the week for lunches. Add some veg and fruit to the lunch bag, or a salad, and you have a good meal.

When my son was a teen, an apple and a banana went into the lunch bag in addition to the rest. Larabars are also good for between-meal snacks for a growing boy!

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    Ha ha Dado---Here is my thermos---even has a built in spoon!
    Thermos Stainless King SK3000MBTRI4 Food Jar, Midnight Blue: Amazon.com: Kitchen & Dining
    The bacon will get less crispy while it is stored in the thermos with the eggs. I premake the bacon, on the crispy side and scramble eggs---and voila! Lunch!

Ferti is offline Senior Member
    ^That's the thermos I have, works fine.

Freckleface is offline Junior Member
    Thank you all so much for your suggestions. So far, he is most favorable to roast chickens and raw veggies.

Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    Ha ha Dado---Here is my thermos---even has a built in spoon!
    Thermos Stainless King SK3000MBTRI4 Food Jar, Midnight Blue: Amazon.com: Kitchen & Dining
    The bacon will get less crispy while it is stored in the thermos with the eggs. I premake the bacon, on the crispy side and scramble eggs---and voila! Lunch!
    VERY COOL. The question is, how can we keep the bacon crispy? I would prefer it crispy but if it can't be done I'll live with it.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    We bought the Thermos model FDH1405P, which is a 48oz stainless food jar with the stainless lid, carrying handle (and also a shoulder strap), cap with a push-button pour spout in case you have something smooth and liquid in there, and an extra plastic cup between the stainless lid and sealing cap. WE LOVE THIS MODEL! I have really, really big eaters - and they are girls...

Re what to bring for lunch - between my dairy-allergic celiac daughter and my other grain-free/dairy-free daughter, the answer is usually leftovers because I cook a crapload of food every time I cook, just so I can have extra fixins for travel lunches (as I commute to a nearby city with the special-needs daughter for therapies several times a week). Soup, beef stew, broth and veggies, spaghetti sauce and meatballs... it all is reheated and goes in the Thermos. Otherwise, anything that still tastes good cold we take as is, like cold sliced steak or ham cubes - and tend to throw it on top of mixed greens (lettuce packed separately).

We also like the Larabars, and Cliff Ropes and/or Stretch Island fruit leathers.

AliceAnne is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have an 11 yo and 15 yo (girls). 15 yo is less inclined to go primal, but 11 yo packs her lunches with the following:
    Protien: (choose 1)
    - nitrate free lunch meat - as many slices as she wants, I think she takes 4 (I buy Hormel)
    - any left over meat if it is palatable cold (she's not into the thermos, probably not "cool" at school Haha!)
    - tuna salad - can of tuna, mayo, salt & pepper (I will make it she requests it & sneak a veggie in)
    Veggies/fruit (one of each):
    - sliced bell peppers
    - carrots
    - celery
    - cucumbers
    - apple
    - orange
    Fat (she'll include one or two):
    - she has a close friend deathly allergic to nuts so she wont entertain any nut or nut butter, not even sunflower seeds or tahini (not taking any chances!) But I like to dip vegies in nut butters sometimes - its easy to put in a small container.
    - olives, any kind but greek (kid would eat a can a day if I let her)
    - cheese
    - olive oil w/ balsamic vinegar & salt & pepper.
    "Quit waiting for everything to be perfect. You have everything you need right now." - makingthingshappen.com

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/member82937.html

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast