Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Is it really about low carb or calories in/out? page 9

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Happens to me frequently. I've just learned to live with it.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    It's about both. If you are very overweight/obese --- then just focus on good clean eating. If you are focused on losing the last 10 lbs -- focus on calories and carbs.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

impala454 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Your glycogen storage is approximately 7-8 times your lean body mass.
    I'm just wondering how you came up with this number is all. Searching online you find numbers all over the place, but 1% of muscle mass seems to be common (not saying that's right and you're wrong, just trying to learn). And is your 7-8x lean body mass figure taking into account bones/skin/etc? 1% muscle mass for the average person would be way under 1000g, more like 200-300 tops.
    -Chuck

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    I've already answered your question and provided plenty of reading material for you.

Quote Originally Posted by StackingPlates View Post
    It will largely depend on the amount of skeletal muscle tissue you carry. Figure that to be around 34g per 100g muscle you carry plus the amount stored in the liver (~100-125g).

CITES
    1. Hansen, B. F., Asp, S., Kim, B. and Richter, E. A. (1999), Glycogen concentration in human skeletal muscle: effect of prolonged insulin and glucose infusion. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports, 9: 209213. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0838.1999.tb00235.x
    2. Acheson, et al (1988), Glycogen storage capacity and de novo lipogenesis during massive CHO overfeeding in man, Am J Clin Nutr 1988;48:240-7

Appreciate the info StackingPlates. Though I was asking Choco where he got his numbers.

And not saying those sources are bad sources, but after reading over them, you've got one study that's 13 years old which had two subjects, and another study that's 24 years old which had three subjects. I'd love to see more recent, larger studies. Especially on something that's so easy to see numbers all over the board. A ten minute Google search found numbers anywhere from 200g total (including the liver) on up to 10-15g per pound of lean body weight.
    Last edited by impala454; 08-09-2012 at 04:11 PM.
    -Chuck

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by impala454 View Post
    Appreciate the info StackingPlates. Though I was asking Choco where he got his numbers.

And not saying those sources are bad sources, but after reading over them, you've got one study that's 13 years old which had two subjects, and another study that's 24 years old which had three subjects. I'd love to see more recent, larger studies. Especially on something that's so easy to see numbers all over the board. A ten minute Google search found numbers anywhere from 200g total (including the liver) on up to 10-15g per pound of lean body weight.
    You're right, there are a lot of different answers out there for the googling.

This is from the PB page 154.

The average person can only store about 400 grams of glycogen in liver and muscle tissue (even a highly trained
    athlete can only store perhaps 600 grams).

And that agrees with the vast majority of the searches. The other thing to consider is no matter how crazy the exercise, it's not like you're 100% depleting all of that glycogen either.
    -Chuck

VeggieLover is offline Senior Member
    I feel like we are all getting a little off topic here, i mean if i am switching from a lower calorie diet, even if it is vegetable centric to mostly protein and fat, even if it is more calories can i lose weight because it is more "fat burning" as some people claim??

I don't seem to have a final answer on all of this. thanks!

Nady is offline Senior Member
    How about if you post a sample menu so we can see exactly what foods you're planning to eat? What will be your protein sources, carb & fat amounts~ that sort of thing. Easier to give guidence if we have more info.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    You're right, there are a lot of different answers out there for the googling.

This is from the PB page 154.

The average person can only store about 400 grams of glycogen in liver and muscle tissue (even a highly trained
    athlete can only store perhaps 600 grams).
    So~ my 5 pound water regain is about average? How about that.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast