Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Richard Nikoley's (from Free The Animal) 'Fat Bread' - Anyone Tried It? page 7

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    A bit off-topic but...

It's funny you'd mention calorie-counting and Spark People, Shawn. I'm friends with some employees of SP and used the site to track calories and, as a result, lost about 40 pounds. But, it messed with my mind and I became way too obsessed. After more than 2 years since leaving SP I still count calories, but in my head. It's still a struggle for me to "just be good", but I am only 2 pounds heavier and much healthier and stronger now than I was when I was calorie-counting. Good luck!
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

faithy22 is offline Member
    I'm going to give this bread a shot tonight. I used to make pumpkin bread with almond flour and eat it with cream cheese. I wonder if adding a bit of canned pumpkin to this recipe would work. It wets the dough a lot, though.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I did a quick search to look for macadamia nut prices online and I found this place:

Gold Crown Home Page

They sell in shell nuts for $3.75/lb. Their "Processing" page says the typical yeild is about 30% nut meat/ weight of whole nut. So for a pound of in-shell nuts, you get 4.8 oz. of nut meats. So ~0.78/oz, plus shipping.

The lowest priced ones I could find on Amazon were these: Bulk Raw Macadamia Nuts, 5-Pound 5 lbs.: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food
    The unit price for these came out to 0.77/oz.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I am curious if anyone has made this bread with macadamia nut butter, that is, without making the macadamia nut butter in a food processor but instead buying it already made. I have a food chopper type thing, but not a fancy food processor and I can get macadamia nut butter. I'm curious how much butter you get from a cup of nuts.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I'm curious how much butter you get from a cup of nuts.
    If nutrition data is right, a cup of macadamias weighs 132g = 4.65 oz. The jars of Maranatha mac butter that I've seen are 8 oz. by weight. So about 1.7 cups worth of mac nuts in the jar. Most prices I can find are greater than $1/oz, so buying nuts could be cheaper, depending on shipping costs.

A blender might also work if you have one, if you pulse and stir frequently.

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    ill prolly give this a try next month as its my birthday on the 17th! I want make something like this with a coconut cream frosting sweetened with raw honey to go on top.
    Paleo since November 2011 - Carnivore since June 2012
    Before and after pics
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65846.html
    Primal Sucess Story
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65400.html
    Primal Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post955444

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    I did a quick search to look for macadamia nut prices online and I found this place:
    Gold Crown Home Page
    They sell in shell nuts for $3.75/lb. Their "Processing" page says the typical yeild is about 30% nut meat/ weight of whole nut. So for a pound of in-shell nuts, you get 4.8 oz. of nut meats. So ~0.78/oz, plus shipping.
    The lowest priced ones I could find on Amazon were these: Bulk Raw Macadamia Nuts, 5-Pound 5 lbs.: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food
    The unit price for these came out to 0.77/oz.
    You better have a special tool to crack them nuts open. Hammer 'might' do it if you are very strong, an excellent aim, & it's a very heavy hammer!! Macs are the hardest shells of all nuts on the planet. My tool cost me $20 (wholesale, 8 years ago) in Hawaii.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    You better have a special tool to crack them nuts open. Hammer 'might' do it if you are very strong, an excellent aim, & it's a very heavy hammer!! Macs are the hardest shells of all nuts on the planet. My tool cost me $20 (wholesale, 8 years ago) in Hawaii.
    Indeed. I bought some in shell mac nuts when I went to Hawaii a few years ago. My attempts at opening them when I got home were hilarious. I hit one with a hammer and it went flying out of the kithchen. I had to go search for it!

That website also sells mac nut crackers of various types.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Yikes! $89.95!! For a nut cracker

Edit: Ok, there's a couple of nut crackers for $15 & $20, one is similar to the one I got, it was manufactured in Australia I think I recall...
    Last edited by Betorq; 09-21-2012 at 06:16 PM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    If nutrition data is right, a cup of macadamias weighs 132g = 4.65 oz. The jars of Maranatha mac butter that I've seen are 8 oz. by weight. So about 1.7 cups worth of mac nuts in the jar. Most prices I can find are greater than $1/oz, so buying nuts could be cheaper, depending on shipping costs.

A blender might also work if you have one, if you pulse and stir frequently.
    Thank you! I bought some whole raw macadamias and I'll give it a try, but if I can't turn them into butter, I'll buy the pre-made mac butter instead.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast